Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I find OPD great for parking lots, city driving, and even the highway.

Parking lots take some getting used to, because you no longer rely on the car moving without touching the accelerator. Putting the car in reverse your car will just sit there instead of backing up on its own. Feathering the throttle takes a little bit of getting used to, but honestly after a day of doing it, it's so natural already. I find it's less stress on my feet/ankle, as I used to get sore ankles after long stints of driving and constantly pivoting between brake and gas.

As for the physics aspect, whether your use OPD or two pedals doesn't change how much energy the car is using for the same driving style. You can coast on both, and coasting in both cases requires a little bit of energy if you're going in a straight line. The only difference is with OPD you're actively pressing the throttle down, but without it the car is generating that energy for you when you lift off so it 'feels' like ICE cars. No different than if you put your cruise on 100 and took your foot off the pedal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I find OPD great for parking lots, city driving, and even the highway.

Parking lots take some getting used to, because you no longer rely on the car moving without touching the accelerator. Putting the car in reverse your car will just sit there instead of backing up on its own. Feathering the throttle takes a little bit of getting used to, but honestly after a day of doing it, it's so natural already. I find it's less stress on my feet/ankle, as I used to get sore ankles after long stints of driving and constantly pivoting between brake and gas.

As for the physics aspect, whether your use OPD or two pedals doesn't change how much energy the car is using for the same driving style. You can coast on both, and coasting in both cases requires a little bit of energy if you're going in a straight line. The only difference is with OPD you're actively pressing the throttle down, but without it the car is generating that energy for you when you lift off so it 'feels' like ICE cars. No different than if you put your cruise on 100 and took your foot off the pedal.
Does anyone know if you can switch from OPD to the regular mode while the car is moving or do you have to stop the vehicle? I think my very hilly neighborhood in the foothills west of Denver will be ideal for OPD but pretty much everywhere I go once I leave the neighborhood requires at least an exit or two on the interstate where Volvo does not recommend OPD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know if you can switch from OPD to the regular mode while the car is moving or do you have to stop the vehicle? I think my very hilly neighborhood in the foothills west of Denver will be ideal for OPD but pretty much everywhere I go once I leave the neighborhood requires at least an exit or two on the interstate where Volvo does not recommend OPD.
I suggest you try using the adaptive cruise control when on the highway. I have been using OPD on the local streets and switching to the cruise control on the highway very effectively. No other changes to options required.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can use OPD on Highways too, it’s just a matter of getting the feel for the throttle. Once you have it dialed in, it’s no different than coasting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I suggest you try using the adaptive cruise control when on the highway. I have been using OPD on the local streets and switching to the cruise control on the highway very effectively. No other changes to options required.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't get the advanced package with the adaptive cruise control. I may be the last person in America who is vehemently anti-cruise control.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am so excited about adaptive cruise control. It is part of the energy saving equation. I will not be using it when I am in a “zippy” mode but when playing how small a number can I get the use per hour down to it will be my friend.

and yes you can change pedal mode whilst driving :) I changed it 4 or 5 times in my test drive. Even after 2 test drives I fell in love with one pedal. Now we are fully vaccinated I re started going to the gym (after a year of hiding) and the ankles are definitely looking forward to one pedal mode as that rotation to hit break pedal ouchies :p.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A huge generalization, but Americans are really bad drivers, and getting worse over time by my observations (Colorado driving mostly). I'm convinced that one of the factors aside from texting/phone distractions is that more and more you don't really have to drive and be engaged in it. Automatic transmissions, cruise control, etc. So I'm not a fan of more automation.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you make the assumption that the drivers are bad then surely more automation is a great thing let alone a good thing. If some idiot is not paying attention as they are looking at their phone when I have to do an emergency stop due to an obstruction in the road then I want that person to have adaptive cruise control on so their car automatically breaks to a halt vs plows me.

I always drive in a hyper alert state. I always will. It did not change when I went from manual to automatic it will not change when I use Adaptive cruise control it will just be more efficient. Automation with the option for manual over ride is not only a good thing but it is the thing that is here and coming.

·
Registered
188 Posts
One pedal drive is just like driving a lawn tractor with Hydrostatic drive - push the go pedal and it goes - release the go pedal and the vehicle will slow to a stop fairly quickly so the best is to gradually release pressure on the go pedal so the vehicle slows the way you want it too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If cars had been using one-pedal driving for the last 100 years, and somebody came up with coasting and creep, I wonder how it would be recieved.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A huge generalization, but Americans are really bad drivers, and getting worse over time by my observations (Colorado driving mostly). I'm convinced that one of the factors aside from texting/phone distractions is that more and more you don't really have to drive and be engaged in it. Automatic transmissions, cruise control, etc. So I'm not a fan of more automation.
Perhaps this should be in the off-topic section, but I have often wondered about this. Assuming that drivers are actually better elsewhere, Germany for example, perhaps it is that we do not adhere to most of the standards of driving that we were taught in drivers ed. Everybody does his own thing here, because we are independent-minded Americans (not that it is always bad). For example, passing on the right and going slow in the left lane. The rule actually exists against that behavior, but when has anybody been pulled over for it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Perhaps this should be in the off-topic section, but I have often wondered about this. Assuming that drivers are actually better elsewhere, Germany for example, perhaps it is that we do not adhere to most of the standards of driving that we were taught in drivers ed. Everybody does his own thing here, because we are independent-minded Americans (not that it is always bad). For example, passing on the right and going slow in the left lane. The rule actually exists against that behavior, but when has anybody been pulled over for it?
The answer to has anybody been pulled over for it is a resounding yes. There are groups in America who are pulled over for any behavior on the road from fuzzy dice to changing lanes too many times to yes passing on the right. I will let you reflect on the recent news articles as to who gets pulled over for such…

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
85 Posts
Perhaps I’m getting used to OPD, but I’ve found it to be less aggressive than I expected. Unlike the MME, I believe the P8 does not feather in mechanical braking when using OPD until ”hard braking”. There are occasions when OPD does not apply enough braking force to stop (before a collision) and I have to apply the brake. I understand that the amount of regen is dependent on factors like SoC, speed (I.e., momentum), etc. TSLA has 3 settings for regen. It would be nice if the P8 had more settings for OPD than on/off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The answer to has anybody been pulled over for it is a resounding yes. There are groups in America who are pulled over for any behavior on the road from fuzzy dice to changing lanes too many times to yes passing on the right. I will let you reflect on the recent news articles as to who gets pulled over for such…
You and I are probably on the same page about the politics. My point was that passing on the right and not moving over for a faster driver should be treated like speeding or whatever and applied to everybody, not as an excuse to pull someone over for other reasons. My father used to call people "Sunday drivers" for passing on the right. I just think our standards have slipped.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Perhaps I’m getting used to OPD, but I’ve found it to be less aggressive than I expected. Unlike the MME, I believe the P8 does not feather in mechanical braking when using OPD until ”hard braking”. There are occasions when OPD does not apply enough braking force to stop (before a collision) and I have to apply the brake. I understand that the amount of regen is dependent on factors like SoC, speed (I.e., momentum), etc. TSLA has 3 settings for regen. It would be nice if the P8 had more settings for OPD than on/off.
Interesting. I found my P8 to be slightly more aggressive than my wife's Tesla Model 3. Some people might find even more aggressive regeneration to be difficult. VW doesn't have OPD at all, which is what directed me to the Volvo. I agree that choice is good, though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I totally concur. I wonder what will happen in the transitional period when some learn to drive in an EV with OPD. The brake pedal will be a true "emergency brake", as the parking brake is sometimes referred to.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I see someone who learnt to drive on an ev having quite a few fender benders on a non one pedal car until they get used to it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting. I found my P8 to be slightly more aggressive than my wife's Tesla Model 3. Some people might find even more aggressive regeneration to be difficult. VW doesn't have OPD at all, which is what directed me to the Volvo. I agree that choice is good, though.
Compared to my Model 3 (regen of 0.3G), I find the P8 regen to be heavier (feels like 0.5G). Also, the Model 3 regen is applied in a "brake hold" mode at the time of full stop, but which in the P8 is more "natural feeling" and somewhat smoother at restart.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts