Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!

We were very fortunate to pick up our XC40 yesterday and are working our way through all other configurations. However, we quickly noticed that the One Pedal Driving seems much more aggressive than it did on the models (yes more than one) that we test drove.

Ours has the heat pump, that is the only difference to the models that we test drove.

Has anyone else noticed a change since the software updates?
Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello friends!

We were very fortunate to pick up our XC40 yesterday and are working our way through all other configurations. However, we quickly noticed that the One Pedal Driving seems much more aggressive than it did on the models (yes more than one) that we test drove.

Ours has the heat pump, that is the only difference to the models that we test drove.

Has anyone else noticed a change since the software updates?
Thanks!
No change since the software update. But I’ll say it’s easy to get used to it. Just be careful switching to another car. How quick you can forget a “normal“ car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A reviewer ( cannot remember which ) said you can set the aggressiveness of the one pedal. Not sure if this is true but ...

I did notice when I test drove a P8 last week that it was more aggressive than when I test drove one a month before ( different p8 though ).

I have also noticed that most reviewers say that you only regen in one pedal which as far as I know is not true and that the break pedal blends regen and pads.

I loved one pedal. Cannot wait for my car to make the last 35 miles from the port so I can use it all :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took it out for a scenic drive today on some hills & windy roads with a few intersections. Those were good practices for how the "feather" the one pedal. I agree it takes practice but I think I will prefer OPD over the old-fashioned way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
They do say that opd is more for city driving where coasting is less important.

I cannot wait to practice! Ha to re learn to drive at my age! Fun times

·
Registered
15 Posts
They do say that opd is more for city driving where coasting is less important.

I cannot wait to practice! Ha to re learn to drive at my age! Fun times
Ha! Most people who can afford such cars are old(er). Why does my browser now give me ads for "SUVs for seniors"?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Please more like a muscle car suv for seniors :)

Honestly decking the accelerator at the lights is an almost scary experience ... ( for the 2 seconds or less before you have to stop due to the speed limit. )

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm a senior and quickly gave up on the OPD. It not only doesn't feel normal, it requires you to keep pressing on the pedal all the time. I do a lot of coasting up to stop lights, etc. My glute would get real tired real fast with OPD. The car does regen with the normal mode. You can switch to that in Settings. Just look at the gauge on the right side of the drive's display. It shows direction and amount of current from the battery. When the color swishes down, it's regenerating, when going up, it's taking power. Even when braking it's mostly just regenerating, not using the brake pads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, Rat, you are right. Efficiency should be the same, OPD or not. It is just a matter of personal preference. I am glad they give us the option, unlike some other brands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Efficiency should be the same, OPD or not.
I'm not so sure about that, and would love to hear from someone who either has real expertise or knowledge on this topic (which would NOT be me-my nerdiness mostly covers history). My general recall based on high school physics would be that any time you try to convert energy (like applying regen brakes), you are going to end up using up some of that energy. The ideal from an efficiency perspective would be that once you get moving as much of that energy as possible goes into moving the vehicle forward. So use your brakes as little as possible and you allow things like wind resistance and friction (axle, wheels, tires on road) to slow you down as much as possible. I would THINK (but don't KNOW) that the ideal would be to use two pedal, but you would need to drive very self-consciously and make sure to lay off the accelerator as far ahead of a stop as possible and apply the brake lightly and gradually. Of course, it's more than possible that OPD would be the same (or maybe even better?) for a driver who is not obsessive. I'm really very curious about this - briefly tried looking the topic up a few months back and didn't find anything. Anyone have anything to add?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not so sure about that, and would love to hear from someone who either has real expertise or knowledge on this topic (which would NOT be me-my nerdiness mostly covers history). My general recall based on high school physics would be that any time you try to convert energy (like applying regen brakes), you are going to end up using up some of that energy. The ideal from an efficiency perspective would be that once you get moving as much of that energy as possible goes into moving the vehicle forward. So use your brakes as little as possible and you allow things like wind resistance and friction (axle, wheels, tires on road) to slow you down as much as possible. I would THINK (but don't KNOW) that the ideal would be to use two pedal, but you would need to drive very self-consciously and make sure to lay off the accelerator as far ahead of a stop as possible and apply the brake lightly and gradually. Of course, it's more than possible that OPD would be the same (or maybe even better?) for a driver who is not obsessive. I'm really very curious about this - briefly tried looking the topic up a few months back and didn't find anything. Anyone have anything to add?
We have been using for 4 years now Volkswagen e-Golf. It has no OPD but has the B-mode with the gear selector, which acts similar to OPD. We definitely get more range with the B-mode compared to using the brake pedal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Everything you said about the physics involved is true. If you hold the go pedal just the right amount such that you are neither accelerating nor decelerating with the motor, that is the same as coasting. If you want to slow down, the OPD scenario allows you to simply lift up your foot and regeneration slows you down. Otherwise, you can invoke regeneration with the brake pedal. The amount of energy put back into the battery would be the same to stop in the same distance. in either case, the mechanical brakes come in to play if you need to decelerate faster than regeneration will allow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Absolutely true! I had to use a rental car today when my XC40 Recharge was getting the April update and it took a moment to get used to not using the one pedal! Now that I've gotten used to One Pedal driving, I absolutely love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts