Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, prospective buyer here.

I have some questions regarding using the app to control the car remotely.

Can I use the app to set the interior temperature without going out to the car? Like on a cold morning for example.

Can I use the app to set the interior temperature regardless of whether or not it is plugged in to a charger?

Has anyone camped inside their recharge?

Does anyone regret not buying another EV, ex. Model 3?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
First, I’m very happy I chose the XC40 Recharge over other EVs, primarily because of build quality and driving performance. The Volvo Cars app, however, has very few features at present, although I assume that will improve over time. You should be able to do some controlling of the cabin interior from the app, don’t count on it working consistently. The P8’s software platform is getting better, but it still needs much improvement.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question for you Volvo vets:

Are you able to set a 'Schedule' for pre-heating the interior cabin temp?

I leave for work early, around 6am. Could I set the car to preheat starting at 545am daily, without doing some setting manually every day?

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
181 Posts
Like said above, the VC app is limited but will improve over time. It has consistently worked well for me. You can pre-condition (run climate hvac) from the app, but it is currently factory-set to 72F degrees only -- whether plugged in or not.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another question for you Volvo vets:

Are you able to set a 'Schedule' for pre-heating the interior cabin temp?

I leave for work early, around 6am. Could I set the car to preheat starting at 545am daily, without doing some setting manually every day?
Yes, you can set a schedule (timer).

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge P8
22 Posts
We also enjoy our XC40 Recharge for its styling, electric power, acceleration, and safety features, BUT many features such as remote climate control, schedule charging and CarPlay aren’t working yet. Hopefully Volvo and Google follow through and deliver these features.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, just wondering why that is a hard thing to accomplish. Setting the cabin temp remotely should be a no brainer.
Perhaps the biggest mental adjustment I had to make with this car is that, for reasons better explained by others on this forum, EV software is more problematic, prone to bugs, etc. What would be a “no brainer “ in any other context, is a difficult in an EV.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
31 Posts
I have had fairly good experience with the remote climate control and pre-conditioning. I have a bunch of timers set for weekly occurrence and they have all happened. Sometimes it will give me a fault trying to set one but if I quit the app and get back in it does it the next time. I would say there has been some consistent inconsistency in the reliability of the app. Big thing I found was having to allow all the data sharing for the app to work properly.

There was a comment on one of the Facebook XC40 groups I'm also on from someone that also had a Porsche Taycan. They said that if you took XC40 out of the posts it would be the same for the Taycan for software and its app. Tesla has been at this since 2008 so their app and software has much more time to get sorted out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Another question: I will have a dog in the back from time to time and am interested in a 'dog' mode of sorts. Is it possible to leave the climate controls on while your in a store? I.e. out of the car/front seat?

Similar question for climate controls and car-camping...

Again, thanks all.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Another question: I will have a dog in the back from time to time and am interested in a 'dog' mode of sorts. Is it possible to leave the climate controls on while your in a store? I.e. out of the car/front seat?

Similar question for climate controls and car-camping...

Again, thanks all.
There is a “parking mode” on the climate control that I believe will keep it running for 30 minutes. Not sure whether any seats have to be occupied for it to work and/or whether it shuts off if you lock the doors. Would need to experiment!

·
Registered
181 Posts
There is a “parking mode” on the climate control that I believe will keep it running for 30 minutes. Not sure whether any seats have to be occupied for it to work and/or whether it shuts off if you lock the doors. Would need to experiment!
Climate "parking mode" allows you to keep climate running for 30 minutes unoccupied after doors are locked.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
Climate "parking mode" allows you to keep climate running for 30 minutes unoccupied after doors are locked.
Ditto on all - I never fail to activate the “parking mode” as soon as I step out of the car, lock it as usual, my fro eye errands are usually less than 30, so it’s perfectly comfortable at all times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts