Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there having trouble checking engine oil level in their XC40?
I have followed the owners manual steps several times and ran my problem by the dealer with no luck.
I can only get the oil level status procedure to work after I start the car!

If anybody has run into this problem I'd love to hear how it got resolved.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody out there having trouble checking engine oil level in their XC40?
I have followed the owners manual steps several times and ran my problem by the dealer with no luck.
I can only get the oil level status procedure to work after I start the car!

If anybody has run into this problem I'd love to hear how it got resolved.
Thanks!
Knarr here. I have an update to my post on the engine oil check procedure in the XC40.
I spoke with a Volvo Service Associate (second time) at my local dealer. He advised me to let the car's oil level sensors do the work of alerting me when the engine oil level is low.
I don't have any experience with the Drive-E engine. All my pervious cars used a dipstick. It feels strange to put trust in the oil level sensors. This forces me to wait until the car "tells" me to add oil. I guess I'm being forced to enter the world of auto AI.
I would love to hear from others on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can not get an oil level read cold. Engine must be warm and driven for a while. Then you will get a reading. This is how all electronic oil level meters work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi David1,
I appreciate your reply to my post. Sorry for delay in my response.
So, yes, the Drive-E engine is a warm, driven engine oil check process. I noticed that early on.
What I've been struggling with is my transition away from the dip stick and my history checking a cold engines in other cars I've owned.

When the Drive-E engine is started and driven I haven't been able to figure out how the oil can be checked.
When the car is started, oil is now being pumped throughout the engine.
Just seems impossible to get an accurate oil level reading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts