Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I occasionally get a message in the infotainment screen advising me to turn on "offline maps", along with directions on how to do so. The only problem is that the settings do not exist as described. I looked all around, but could not find the "Auto-download offline maps" setting anywhere. Does anybody know if it exists, or is this note just a place marker?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I occasionally get a message in the infotainment screen advising me to turn on "offline maps", along with directions on how to do so. The only problem is that the settings do not exist as described. I looked all around, but could not find the "Auto-download offline maps" setting anywhere. Does anybody know if it exists, or is this note just a place marker?
Make sure you're looking in the Google Maps Settings, not the Car settings. Open Google Maps, and tap the little gear icon down in the lower-left:

·
Registered
428 Posts
In the Google Maps Settings, you should see:

Pick Offline Maps, and you have controls to Auto-Download, and select your own offline maps:

(Sorry for the blurry phone shots - this car needs a "Save Screen Shot" shortcut!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Thanks. The Google settings gear symbol in the lower left does not appear until the smaller Google help window is closed. I missed that at first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I periodically lose all detail in the map. The arrow for where I'm at is still there but none of the local roads, etc. How often should I have to download the full map data by connecting to the internet?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I periodically lose all detail in the map. ... How often should I have to download the full map data by connecting to the internet?
Unfortunately that's probably not the issue.
BTW you can manually download a large area around your home town so that Google Maps never has to get map data from the car's LTE connection.

·
Registered
40 Posts
when will google support Volvo with the send to your car feature?
I got the region with full details (about 80 mile radius) after being connected to internet and choosing the download from the map sub-menu as described above. It has stayed stable, despite my not being online again, for about a month now.

I don't get traffic. Does anyone?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't get traffic. Does anyone?
There is a Traffic toggle in the same submenu as offline maps. It’s the first item under Settings. If that’s on and it’s still not showing traffic maybe it’s a network issue? LTE connections have been iffy especially on early SW versions.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There is a Traffic toggle in the same submenu as offline maps. It’s the first item under Settings. If that’s on and it’s still not showing traffic maybe it’s a network issue? LTE connections have been iffy especially on early SW versions.
Also look closely - the colored traffic shading lines are VERY small and VERY subtle. Some young designer probably thought that looked very "elegant", but with my older eyes it's simply hard to see.

Also note that it does not show "Green" traffic, just "Red" and "Orange". As far as I can tell, there's no way to distinguish between Good traffic flow, and a road that has no traffic information.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also note that it does not show "Green" traffic, just "Red" and "Orange". As far as I can tell, there's no way to distinguish between Good traffic flow, and a road that has no traffic information.
Great point. Also try to navigate to a destination, and if you’re offline (or the system thinks you are) it will say “offline” when it calculates your ETA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts