Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XC40
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have been searching since joining here how to do a mirror power tap for dash cam power. NO LUCK....
From another site I was on researching I got an email about powering the dash cam through an OBD adapter. Has anyone tried this? I have been reading and researching on you tube. For under 20 bucks it looks like a good way to power a dash cam until I can eventually find a mirror power tap. I just wanted to put this out there as an alternative if anyone else is looking, and see if anyone tried this. Thanks, Glen

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi guys. I have been searching since joining here how to do a mirror power tap for dash cam power. NO LUCK....
From another site I was on researching I got an email about powering the dash cam through an OBD adapter. Has anyone tried this? I have been reading and researching on you tube. For under 20 bucks it looks like a good way to power a dash cam until I can eventually find a mirror power tap. I just wanted to put this out there as an alternative if anyone else is looking, and see if anyone tried this. Thanks, Glen

it doesn't have parking mode, but other then that I have heard good things

·
Registered
230 Posts
Search the forum for the Fitcamx. It's designed to fit in the void behind the mirror module. (I have no experience with the device but) owner anecdotes aren't encouraging. First, you must disassemble a complex bit of electronics, splice into the power supply, cram the camera into the available space, and put the thing back together. I'm handy with tools (and a soldering ironand crimper) but taking apart my new Volvo is not on my list of upcoming adventures.

see the corporate website for more details

·
Registered
2020 XC40
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

it doesn't have parking mode, but other then that I have heard good things
Thanks. Appreciate your input. Glen

·
Registered
2020 XC40
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Search the forum for the Fitcamx. It's designed to fit in the void behind the mirror module. (I have no experience with the device but) owner anecdotes aren't encouraging. First, you must disassemble a complex bit of electronics, splice into the power supply, cram the camera into the available space, and put the thing back together. I'm handy with tools (and a soldering ironand crimper) but taking apart my new Volvo is not on my list of upcoming adventures.

see the corporate website for more details
Thank you. I really want to install my Viofo A229 duo, GREAT dash cam. The fit camx has warm reviews. I did install the Viofo in my mach e. Took it out when I sold the car. The hardest part in the Volvo is getting power. Thats why a mirror tap is the best. But they dont make one yet for it. Taping into fuses voids the warranty I believe. The job isnt hard at all. This OBD power supply will work fine temporarily. And thank you for your input also. Glen

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm using the FitcamX for over a year now and didn't have any problems with it. It taps the power from the mirror and installing it was fairly easy.
If you want to harness power from the mirror I might suggest getting your car to a store that install audio systems. it is fairly easy for them to make a electric connector to harness power from the mirror electric cables. You could do it yourself if you have a multimeter and a bit of electric knowledge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts