Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • We only have one Volvo dealer in town. Are people paying MSRP or over MSRP?
  • Can Costco’s auto program get me a better price?
  • Are there any options you would suggest we don’t get? We were planning on loading it with virtually all the options.
  • Home Charging Station – We have 400-amp service to our home along with 44 solar panels in our backyard. What charger would be best for the fastest charge? We have lots of electricity. Can I put in a supercharger? Will my XC40 support this type of charger?
  • What can we expect from the finance guy when purchasing? Will they be pushing their extended warranty? Undercoating? Etc…
  • What did you guys purchase when cornered by the finance guy? What is the going rate for the extended warranty? Was it a Volvo extended warranty or aftermarket? Good for how many miles? Did it include the battery?
  • Maintenance – with no engine, I’m guessing that maintenance is pretty much tire rotation and change wiper blades. Is there anything else?
  • Does this vehicle have traction control? Can it be turned off?
  • Is it preferred to let the battery go down to 10 or 15% and then charge up, which for me would be about once every 10-15 days. Or do you plug in every night to top off. Do you charge to 80, 90 or 100%?
Hoping to be an owner very soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
236 Posts
I can answer a couple of those, but being in Australia means some things about our purchase aren’t necessarily equivalent. Here the EV is ordered online via the Volvo website, then you select a dealer and pay your deposit and then hand over the $$$$$$$$ when the car comes in. It is a set price with no haggling. The US seems to be a bit different as there seem to be some cars in stock at dealers, so shop around. I’ve only bought 2 new cars ever, including this car, and the first was while I worked for GM in Detroit back in 1995! I never recommend any extras during purchase. Unless you are borrowing to buy and they offer you a good deal on interest rate (unlikely - probably better deals through your credit union) pay cash or finance through a bank/CU. Our XC40 Recharge Twin in AU comes totally loaded - just select colour. With respect to options/packs over there, I guess it depends what features you want and what pack you have to buy to get those features. I would recommend a heat pump if it’s not included in 2022 as it will allow more effective cabin heating and give slightly better range in colder temps than without heat pump. 20-inch wheels/tyres (tires) are less efficient than 19-inch but depends on what appearance you prefer. You cannot rotate the tyres as they are a different size front and rear on this car. Here the car comes with 3 years/30000 km free maintenance including wiper blades etc. There’s not much to service at all - basically brake fluid change every ~2 years, check tyres, brake pads maybe, but shouldn’t have to replace often. The standard warranty is pretty long too here - I think 5 yrs unlimited km, and 8 yr 160,000 km on the battery.

Regarding charging, nice to hear you have a grid-connect solar system. We do as well (a high percentage of households have them in Australia - I think over 50% of the country’s power came from Solar at one stage the other day!) I think you’ll only be able to use AC charging, and the car supports up to 11 kW AC - for that you will need an EV charger - search here as there’s a lot of info. We don’t need fast charging so we’re just using the provided cable, which for us provides about 10 km per hour while charging...that’s only 2 kW (10A 230VAC). DC fast chargers are only for commercial use - I doubt you would be able to install one on a home set-up and if you did it would be uber-expensive!!

The car does have traction control. I believe it can be switched off in the settings if need be. It also has an “off road” setting for occasional slippery driving conditions I believe.

Volvo does not recommend charging over 90% regularly to “preserve the battery”. We are only charging to 80% regularly, and will go to 90% if we want to take a longer drive. You can set the max SOC in the settings, so you can plug the car in and not worry about unplugging it when a SOC is reached as the car will switch off charging when that SOC is reached. If you can avoid low SOC that’s ideal too - we don’t plan to go below 20% unless we have to. Also, charging up to a high SOC and letting the car sit is bad. You can charge to 100% if you plan to drive off immediately after you reach 100%, but letting it sit at 100% can allow dendrites to form in the battery, which is a mechanical breakdown in the battery that reduces the battery’s life...it happens at high battery voltages over time, so that’s why you don’t want the car to sit at 100%. Hope that helps! The car is great fun to drive!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Further to my comments above, whereabouts are you located, and how big is your solar system (out of curiosity)? We have a ~2 kW system on our shed (garage/workshop) pictured, and a ~3 kW system on the house. All grid-connect. We generate about 2x what we actually use, but of course draw from the grid when solar output is below demand. Battery storage not economical at this point but will be soon.
Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You asked about our solar.

We have 42 panels (ground mount), each panel is 355 watts with their own optimizer. We use two Solar Edge Inverters SE6000H-US. This gives us a total of 14.9 kW. We are limited by our inverters to 12 kW. Our electric bill was normally around $300 per month, but now around $5.00 per month. We have an all-electric house, getting rid of the natural gas. This will be our first electric vehicle, but plan on purchasing another one within 6 months. Having extra electricity makes getting an Electric Vehicle an easy choice.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
You asked about our solar.

We have 42 panels (ground mount), each panel is 355 watts with their own optimizer. We use two Solar Edge Inverters SE6000H-US. This gives us a total of 14.9 kW. We are limited by our inverters to 12 kW. Our electric bill was normally around $300 per month, but now around $5.00 per month. We have an all-electric house, getting rid of the natural gas. This will be our first electric vehicle, but plan on purchasing another one within 6 months. Having extra electricity makes getting an Electric Vehicle an easy choice.
Very nice.

Might I ask what state you are in (or what weather you have). Also how much did the panels cost and their installation.

Solar is very appealing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We live in Kansas and our weather is pretty much mid western. We have a good amount of sunshine. The solar install job cost around $35k, and we were able to write off about $7k on our taxes. The payback period is about 8 to 9 years (weather dependent). We are on 5 acres so we decided to go ground mount. So far, after now 6 years, they have been maintenance free. Don't even need to clean them. I do check them twice a year for looseness. We have lots of hail over the last 6 years and not a scratch on them. Even if we did, our home owners would cover it. The only thing the state helps with, is not to charge higher property taxes for people who have solar.

Don't get solar if you move frequently. Don't get solar if you are older. Don't get solar if you don't have enough acreage for ground mount or strong enough roof for a roof mount. Many roofs cannot support the weight of solar along with lots of snow in the winter. Don't get solar if you can't afford it - the interest rate 'could' wipe out any savings you thought you would get.

Living with solar is different than living in a normal house. There is no more of: "Turn off the light if you are not in the room". With solar, we leave things on all the time; we have an extra fridge and freezer in the basement, large heater in the garage, bigger HVAC unit (heat pump), etc. etc. When you get a $3 electric bill, you don't consider trying to save electricity. With electrical rates continually going up, it's a good investment. We are glad we went solar. If you have any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That sounds like a nice set-up! Here in Australia over 30% of homes have solar, and many people are now installing batteries as well (the Tesla Powerwall is popular). For years there have been government rebates - in the early days it was not cheap (we had an ~1.7 kW system installed at our previous home back in around 2002 and at the time it was about $22,000, less a ~10,000 government rebate; now you can get a 5kW system for less than $5000!). We converted a Volvo 240 to full EV not too long after getting that first solar system and haven’t looked back! :)
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Plant

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
We live in Kansas and our weather is pretty much mid western. We have a good amount of sunshine. The solar install job cost around $35k, and we were able to write off about $7k on our taxes. The payback period is about 8 to 9 years (weather dependent). We are on 5 acres so we decided to go ground mount. So far, after now 6 years, they have been maintenance free. Don't even need to clean them. I do check them twice a year for looseness. We have lots of hail over the last 6 years and not a scratch on them. Even if we did, our home owners would cover it. The only thing the state helps with, is not to charge higher property taxes for people who have solar.

Don't get solar if you move frequently. Don't get solar if you are older. Don't get solar if you don't have enough acreage for ground mount or strong enough roof for a roof mount. Many roofs cannot support the weight of solar along with lots of snow in the winter. Don't get solar if you can't afford it - the interest rate 'could' wipe out any savings you thought you would get.

Living with solar is different than living in a normal house. There is no more of: "Turn off the light if you are not in the room". With solar, we leave things on all the time; we have an extra fridge and freezer in the basement, large heater in the garage, bigger HVAC unit (heat pump), etc. etc. When you get a $3 electric bill, you don't consider trying to save electricity. With electrical rates continually going up, it's a good investment. We are glad we went solar. If you have any questions, let me know.
Thanks for the good info :)

Curious. When you say don’t get it if your older do you mean it you expect to die within 8 years (humor)!!!! Or is there a component of having solar that makes it harder for older people? Does it involve a lot of physical upkeep not mentioned? Or just the initial outlay component of having it?

Seems to me that it is an upgrade to the home to help the planet which keeps going and going :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Older?? What I meant about that was if you are 65 and feel your life expectancy is perhaps 72-75, then with the investment of solar, you really won't see any of the benefits. Most solar takes about 7 to 10 years just to break even. And no, there is literally no maintenance or physical upkeep for the solar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A picture is worth a 1000 words. Here is my solar. The power company after the installation changed out our electric meter and installed a special 'Solar' power meter. The difference is that my meter runs backwards during the day (because of solar).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Nice that plus a P8 and you will be living in 2040.
Minus the drowts, floods, earth burning etc :)

Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A picture is worth a 1000 words. Here is my solar. The power company after the installation changed out our electric meter and installed a special 'Solar' power meter. The difference is that my meter runs backwards during the day (because of solar).
Very nice! Yes, in Australia they moved (or are moving to) “smart” meters that are computerised vs the old spinning disk meter with dials on it for everyone (whether or not you have solar). When we got our first solar system back in 2004 or so, they hadn’t put the new meters in yet and it was quite rewarding to see that spinning disk spinning backwards! They did change the meter shortly thereafter to enable the correct calculation of the feed-in credit. In those early days, they had a “premium feed-in tariff” (P-FIT) where you got 60 cents AUD per kWh fed into the grid, and we were paying probably 20 cents for what we used. Now the FIT has dropped to about 5 cents per kWh and we’re paying ~18 cents per kWh off peak, 28 cents peak and 9 cents super-off-peak EV tariff.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Regarding your question about add-ons, they were mentioned during the sale, we declined once, and that was the end of that. I don't really have good feelings about my dealer because of how they handled the service we immediately needed on our buggy XC40, but I have no complaints at all about the sales process.

I did end up purchasing 10 year/120,000 mile term Volvo-backed warranty from Steingold in Rhode Island (they're not local to me, I purchased online). They have highly competitive plan pricing and also give a discount with the code Swedespeed. I paid $3,672.

I have a 10 year/unlimited mileage Volvo-backed warranty on my 2020 V60 Cross Country as well, which I think makes a lot of sense because I keep my cars a long time and I think that one will pay for itself. I'm not so sure about if or how a warranty XC40 Recharge will pay off, because I just don't have a good grasp on what may happen to it over the coming years. But I sleep easier at night having it.

Reactions: Greg S

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
We are about to purchase a certified preowned 2019 XC40 T5 Momentum in Canada which has the following packages:
Momentum Plus Package
Vision Package
Convenience Package

We would like to know if it has active bending headlights, which is one of the required features for achieving the maximum IIHS 'Top Safety Pick +' designation - snapshot below. In the snapshot, it says that only the Advanced package has these bending lights, but the car's specs do not make any reference to the Advance package - it's not even offered as an option.

We have been given the list of standard and optional equipment, but nowhere does it state that it comes with the active bending lights (not even the higher trims R-Design and Inscription specs show active bending lights under standard or optional features).

I asked the dealership and they said that 'yes, the particular model we are looking at has the cornering fog lights", but in searching this more on the internet, these cornering fog lights are not the same thing as the active bending headlights (cornering fog function is only up to 30km/hour or when backing up).

I think part of the confusion is that the Advance Package is not an option that I have come across when shopping around for the XC40 in Canada, no matter which trim level you choose (Momentum, R-Design and Inscription). There is a Single Options list, but that also does not include active bending lights.
If someone could shed some light on this (the active bending type), that would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Technology

Automotive lighting Product Output device Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hello,
We are about to purchase a certified preowned 2019 XC40 T5 Momentum in Canada which has the following packages:
Momentum Plus Package
Vision Package
Convenience Package

We would like to know if it has active bending headlights, which is one of the required features for achieving the maximum IIHS 'Top Safety Pick +' designation - snapshot below. In the snapshot, it says that only the Advanced package has these bending lights, but the car's specs do not make any reference to the Advance package - it's not even offered as an option.

We have been given the list of standard and optional equipment, but nowhere does it state that it comes with the active bending lights (not even the higher trims R-Design and Inscription specs show active bending lights under standard or optional features).

I asked the dealership and they said that 'yes, the particular model we are looking at has the cornering fog lights", but in searching this more on the internet, these cornering fog lights are not the same thing as the active bending headlights (cornering fog function is only up to 30km/hour or when backing up).

I think part of the confusion is that the Advance Package is not an option that I have come across when shopping around for the XC40 in Canada, no matter which trim level you choose (Momentum, R-Design and Inscription). There is a Single Options list, but that also does not include active bending lights.
If someone could shed some light on this (the active bending type), that would be appreciated.
Thank you,
View attachment 1490

View attachment 1491
Based on our options list here in Australia, and that last bit of text you highlighted also confirms it, the cornering fog lights are ONLY on cars with active bending lights (AKA dynamic LED headlights). So it would seem if it has the cornering fog lights, then it will also have the active bending lights. The dealer should be able to answer the question for you. Also be aware that due to the global chip shortage, seagulls are starving - er, scratch that - some options/equipment may change and/or become unavailable at short notice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Based on our options list here in Australia, and that last bit of text you highlighted also confirms it, the cornering fog lights are ONLY on cars with active bending lights (AKA dynamic LED headlights). So it would seem if it has the cornering fog lights, then it will also have the active bending lights. The dealer should be able to answer the question for you. Also be aware that due to the global chip shortage, seagulls are starving - er, scratch that - some options/equipment may change and/or become unavailable at short notice.
Thank you Greg, that makes sense. I just thought that it is a feature that they should have stated more clearly in the car literature, in the options etc. The IIHS safety tests specifically mention this feature to achieve the prestigious Top Safety Pick +, so one would think that it would be advertised more on the models that have it. Thanks again.
That said, we are scheduled to become proud owners of an XC40 by Wednesday and look forward to staying informed and contributing through this forum.
Font Screenshot Number Document Parallel

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I thought all P8s had active bendy lights …as stated due to how it improves safety.

Of course between Covid and “regional packages” it is hard to tell what is happening :(

I hope they do have active bendy.

Reactions: ALF

·
Registered
236 Posts
I thought all P8s had active bendy lights …as stated due to how it improves safety.

Of course between Covid and “regional packages” it is hard to tell what is happening :(

I hope they do have active bendy.
I think you may be right on the EV having it standard, but the OP is looking at a 2019 (edit) petrol version.

Reactions: ALF
1 - 18 of 18 Posts