Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all...

I've agreed to purchase a "Bursting Blue" XC40 P8, deal to be completed this coming Wednesday. I live in Sacramento.

I admit I'm nervous about the relatively lower range, now. I expect to charge at home virtually always but now I'm wondering about charging at public charge stations around the region. Eg, a trip to San Francisco. Has anyone here been trying to find and use higher current chargers in the area more than half-range away from Sacramento?

So far, I'm finding just L2 chargers I would expect to be able to use and that is not really viable.

What's your experiences like so far?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, all...

I've agreed to purchase a "Bursting Blue" XC40 P8, deal to be completed this coming Wednesday. I live in Sacramento.

I admit I'm nervous about the relatively lower range, now. I expect to charge at home virtually always but now I'm wondering about charging at public charge stations around the region. Eg, a trip to San Francisco. Has anyone here been trying to find and use higher current chargers in the area more than half-range away from Sacramento?

So far, I'm finding just L2 chargers I would expect to be able to use and that is not really viable.

What's your experiences like so far?
Hello! I live in the Sacramento area and picked up my P8 at Niello Volvo on May 8, 20 months after I placed a deposit. I too plan to go to San Francisco occasionally. There are many fast charging locations on the way. I suggest you download the ChargePoint app to your phone and then use the filters to select DC fast chargers. The map will be filtered to show you the places with fast chargers.

Volvo recommends ChargePoint. There will be a ChargePoint card in the glove box material when you get the car. I did a test fast charge in my neighborhood without incident after setting up my account. Also, the Google map in the car will suggest charging locations along your route and show the estimated charge left when you reach your destination.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply -- Niello for me as well. :) (Although I guess there's really only one Volvo dealership around here.)

I guess I'm hoping to feel better about choosing the XC40 vs (another brand with greater range) before I sign the dotted line on Wednesday. I used PlugShare and Chargepoint apps to poke around and all I really find are 6.x kwh chargers here and there, so I'm nervous. I don't really plan to use it for cross-country trips, but I also don't want to be stuck at a slow charger for 8 hours just to get home from, say, San Jose or Redding or the like.

I think the XC40 has the best combination of quality, usability and comfort from all the choices I've had recently, just a little short on range. I hope it doesn't become a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
...So far, I'm finding just L2 chargers I would expect to be able to use and that is not really viable....
There are plenty of 50kW+ CCS chargers in the area. Go to plugshare.com and set filters for CCS plug and minimum power level 50kW.
Screenshot 2021-05-17 1.58.14 PM.png

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Live and learn -- CCS (or Combo) chargers is what I needed to look for. I was focused on the J1722 plug for some reason, but that's what the home chargers have. I know they're A/C and limited to around 11kwh rates, and that's perfectly fine at home.

Hopefully these CCS chargers gain compatibility with the XC40/Polestar2, per other threads' woes.

One thing that does concern me is that I'm hearing impaired -- I can't readily call a customer support line, which seems to be a common way to deal with occasional issues. I hope I can figure out a way around that!

·
Registered
64 Posts
One thing that does concern me is that I'm hearing impaired -- I can't readily call a customer support line, which seems to be a common way to deal with occasional issues. I hope I can figure out a way around that!
The chargers we have been discussing, and the most available 50kW+ chargers are from Electrify America. They do offer chat during some hours via their website:
Contact Electrify America
Chat
8:30 am to 11:00 pm EST

Phone
1-833-632-2778
24 hours a day / 7 days a week
Social Media

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just drove from Marin to Benbow Inn, and spend a day doing avenue of the giants and shelter cove. There’s really not much you can’t do with the P8 in California. Plenty of 50kw chargers which get you from 40-90% in a hour, and lots of 150s that get you a ton of juice in 15 mins. I too was worried about range then my wife and I took two days and picked a hotel that had a charger and made a road trip out of it, range isn’t something we really think too much abour anymore.

Other than Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay on north, there’s not much you can’t do. If you plan on going to Sea Ranch you might have to take the 101, but that’s really it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm in Los altos. Most of the CCS fast charging stations around here are EVGo. They have several between Sacramento and San Francisco (Dixon, Vacaville, Vallejo). I haven't used them so I can't comment on whether they work with the Volvo, etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up my Bursting Blue, soon to be renamed "Twilight" because I'm goofy that way.

Let the learning experiences begin! I'll have to wait "a month" for the ChargePoint Flex unit, but I'm skeptical it will arrive in a month given the shortages at the usual stores. (Amazon, Home Depot)

In the meantime I did get a 14-50 @50A installed and that'll serve for now, just a little bit awkward in my garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts