Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
It’ll be listed on the window sticker. You may be able to google up a site that can pull up the sticker from your VIN if you don’t have it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
All ‘22 Ultimates have heat pump and if you have a ‘22 Plus with Climate, then you also have the heat pump.

I think it might have been the same for the ‘21 models too, but I’m not 100% positive on that.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts
If you have an Electric Volvo, XC40 P8, 2020 forward, in the USA, then you have to have an electric heat pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have an Electric Volvo, XC40 P8, 2020 forward, in the USA, then you have to have an electric heat pump.
At least in the US, MY 2021 is the first year for the P8 (no 2020’s). Also, the heat pump was an option on 2021’s, so they don’t all have it. It was an individual option, not in the packages.

·
Registered
113 Posts
All ‘22 Ultimates have heat pump and if you have a ‘22 Plus with Climate, then you also have the heat pump.

I think it might have been the same for the ‘21 models too, but I’m not 100% positive on that.
I have a '21 with the Climate package but no heat pump.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a '21 with the Climate package but no heat pump.
It was most definitely a stand-alone option on 2021s. We have two... the first one we bought we specifically looked for one with the heat pump. The second one we bought was a year-end deal on a demo, and it doesn't have the heat pump. Both have climate packages, and the heat pump was not automatically included with that package in 2021.

Reactions: XCMac.40

·
Registered
69 Posts
It was most definitely a stand-alone option on 2021s. We have two... the first one we bought we specifically looked for one with the heat pump. The second one we bought was a year-end deal on a demo, and it doesn't have the heat pump. Both have climate packages, and the heat pump was not automatically included with that package in 2021.
Is there any way to confirm that you have it without seeing it on paperwork-for example is there any setting or manual use that indicates the heat pump is working?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you tell any difference in the operation and output of the heating system between your two P8's? Time to get to temperature? Noise? Energy consumption?

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
349 Posts
My first thought is to look at the window sticker like someone posted above.
If I didn’t have the window sticker I would contact the dealer that sold it to me, they should have copies of all the paperwork related to the car.
Third, maybe contact Volvo customer care. I bet they would be able to find all the specs connected to the car’s vin number.
4th, take the car apart until you get to where the heat pump is supposed to be. Is you don’t find it it means you don’t have it.
BTW, that forth is my smart a$$ sarcastic brain answering, sorry 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
388 Posts
My first thought is to look at the window sticker like someone posted above.
If I didn’t have the window sticker I would contact the dealer that sold it to me, they should have copies of all the paperwork related to the car.
Third, maybe contact Volvo customer care. I bet they would be able to find all the specs connected to the car’s vin number.
4th, take the car apart until you get to where the heat pump is supposed to be. Is you don’t find it it means you don’t have it.
BTW, that forth is my smart a$$ sarcastic brain answering, sorry 🤦‍♂️
Regarding point #4, my suspicion is that when you get the car with the “heat pump” option, it’s actually just a different logic and set of valves that allows the refrigerant compressor to pump refrigerant in both directions. It’s not an added “heat pump”. All cars with AC essentially have a heat pump - it is designed to pump heat out of the cabin and reject it into the atmosphere via the AC condenser in front of the radiator. When you have the “heat pump” it just means the system is designed such that the process can be reversed, and pump heat from the atmosphere into the cabin. So if you pulled the car apart, they both may look very similar but just with some extra valves/sensors/switches, but I assume both would have what looks like an AC compressor. Just my 2c worth. :)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I asked exactly this question back in May when I got Margo.

The trust the sticker was the only real answer.

A shame there is not a VIN look up system which tells you what the car has.

As far as we all know there is no way from the outside to tell if you have the heat pump. And performance numbers are all over the place due to the number of variables so that’s out the window for proof.

#4 would work but should be titled prof you “had” a heat pump in the ev that used to work!!! I saw a vid of someone taking a Ford ev apart … oh my.

Another potential solution that would take some work would be to find a sound or sounds that ONLY P8s with heat pumps make and that ALL P8s with heat pumps make. If we could identify compressor sounds separate from all the other whiting and fan play going on then perhaps that could be used.

In theory that would be a perfect task for a neural net with sound files being fed in.

There is however one huge problem with the above … the definition of which cars have the heat pump which is used to define for humans or train the net for an ai is based on the sticker. And as that is the thing we are trying to validate ….

I suppose then we would go to sounds that most heat pump cars make most non heat pump cars do not make. Then perhaps those that don’t fit would be defined as “maybe Volvo got it wrong”

Or trust the sticker.

Oh another solution is to task service the next time they are taking your car apart to see if they can detect if it has a heat pump.

I have come to terms with probably never definitively knowing if the car has a heat pump.

Oh final thought. One one of those plug in car reader interfaces let you get the information?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can you tell any difference in the operation and output of the heating system between your two P8's? Time to get to temperature? Noise? Energy consumption?
It’s hard to say, since we took delivery of the second one in mid-December and temps have been below the operating range of the heat pump since then (well below, ranging from -20F to +20F). Will be able to tell more when temps are above freezing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can sometimes hear the heat pump cycle on and off when driving, and certainly when pre-conditioning in a cold garage. In fact I'm considering taking it in for service because at times it shudders and rattles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts