Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a commuter - i drive approximately 150 miles per day or more- 95% of those are highway miles - since getting the car this month i am only averaging 25 mpg, in eco mode, while coasting on the highway @ 75 mph also using premium gas. Am I crazy to assume under those conditions i should be at least averaging 27mpg? When I purchased the car i really thought that i'd average closer to 30mpg perhaps 27 or 28 worst case scenario. Also if im not going to average epa estimates with premium would I be fine switching to 87 octane?

aside from the MPG i LOVE the car!!!

xc40 t5 inscription
awd
white w/red interior

·
Registered
95 Posts
You should see an improvement after getting some more miles on it. I have also found that where I live the fuel blend changes for the winter and my mileage drops 2-3 mpg. I live in California, other areas of the country also supply different fuel blends in the winter. I drove to Yosemite National Park this weekend about 370 miles round trip. I averaged 25.8 mpg. I have made this same trip in the summer months on the same roads and averaged over 28 mpg.

Dan

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
35 Posts
Dan made a great point about the winter fuel. It makes a difference. Also--what PSI are you running in the tires?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a T5 R Line with the 20" wheels. 31k mile on it. Averages 23.5 MPG on a good day. 80% highway at 70 to 80 mph. I didn't buy it for fuel economy anyways. My other car only gets 16 mpg average.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My XC 40 now has 10,000 miles and has never gotten more than 22.5 MPG either highway or City and
the dealer has been unable to explain this or help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same '21 T5 with 2,000 miles. A very disappointing 25.4 mpg is my best. Surely isn't 30 mpg, and I am a coaster! Would not have bought it if I was going to get anything below 30 mpg! All my past cars, I got over the stated mpg. I was expecting 33 mpg's.
I love this crazy little car, but I hate hate hate this mileage.(n)(n)

·
Registered
2019 XC40 T5 Momentum AWD Fusion Red
8 Posts
The MPG thing is funny. I have long given up on believing anyone's posted mileage are reasonable. Still our 1997 Land Rover Discovery I got in 2000. In the beginning, I was getting about 16~18MPG. Later in life and set up for off road, I get 11~13mpg. The car the XC40 replaced was a 2003 Infinity G35 Coupe that got about 18~20MPG. My company car is a 2019 Ford Escape. If I get 22MPG out of this "economy vehicle", I'm happy. Best value I think I ever had was my old company Toyota Sienna mini-van. 20MPG with a big v6 powering a large vehicle. I annual get a chance to drive a fair number of rentals due to travel so I get to see how other cars are economically. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Time will tell how the XC40 stacks up. So far I find it no better and no worse than others I have tried. I like the car so I don't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Comment from the UK - my XC40 T5 gives 28.2mpg (average across 8,000 miles, normally in "comfort" mode) - BUT this is UK gallons which are 20% bigger than US gallons. My 28.8mpg (UK) is equivalent to 24mpg (US), which seems similar to USA experiences. Canada uses UK gallons, I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My XC 40 now has 10,000 miles and has never gotten more than 22.5 MPG either highway or City and
the dealer has been unable to explain this or help.
Same boat. I spend most of the time on the freeway and get 21.9 the majority of the time. ive seen 26 while on a 1500 mile road trip and thats it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i am a commuter - i drive approximately 150 miles per day or more- 95% of those are highway miles - since getting the car this month i am only averaging 25 mpg, in eco mode, while coasting on the highway @ 75 mph also using premium gas. Am I crazy to assume under those conditions i should be at least averaging 27mpg? When I purchased the car i really thought that i'd average closer to 30mpg perhaps 27 or 28 worst case scenario. Also if im not going to average epa estimates with premium would I be fine switching to 87 octane?

aside from the MPG i LOVE the car!!!

xc40 t5 inscription
awd
white w/red interior
I'm westminster. See my post below and nothing has changed as of 12,000 miles. Terrible gas mileage no matter what i try.......

·
Registered
2020 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar Optimization
14 Posts
Comment from the UK - my XC40 T5 gives 28.2mpg (average across 8,000 miles, normally in "comfort" mode) - BUT this is UK gallons which are 20% bigger than US gallons. My 28.8mpg (UK) is equivalent to 24mpg (US), which seems similar to USA experiences. Canada uses UK gallons, I believe.
We've used liters in Canada since the mid-1970s. I still prefer to calculate my mileage in Imperial miles per gallon. I found a neat trick to change the car's settings to Imperial and the trip computer displays miles per gallon. My current reading is 27.2 mpg and that's in Normal mode. I look forward to driving on a major highway in ECO mode. MyT5 R-Design has Polestar Optimization and I wonder how this will affect my mileage when I let 'er loose?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts