Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "real VOC support". The Volvo Cars app finally started working reliably for me - every time - several weeks ago. Many (most?) other people here have reported the same thing. Is it not still not working for you?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean by "real VOC support". The Volvo Cars app finally started working reliably for me - every time - several weeks ago. Many (most?) other people here have reported the same thing. Is it not still not working for you?
Not working for me at all, it still sounds mostly unreliable for others as well. Volvo even states that it's still beta.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does not work for me either. Never has. Have been told repeatedly by customer care that only the dealer can pair it

·
Registered
170 Posts
What do you guys think of the new update coming our way. Looks pretty lackluster I think. Still no Sirius or real VOC support.
What do you mean "coming our way" ? This update is listed as July and we're into August. Many of us already have this update, I believe. Our P8 went in for service a few weeks ago and got these updates. Easiest way to tell if you have this update: audio resumes when you start the car. That one feature is the "Tell tale" if you have the July update.

FWIW, our car purchased 3 months ago has -always- had working VoC; no issues for me or my wife. We've had success with the 3x features (start AC, unlock car, see charging status). The SOC does take a moment to refresh sometimes, as do other items (latency pales compared to Tesla, but is on par with my Porsche Taycan, BMW i3/i8, Mini EV and other brand experiences).

Overall, we did not really see any real "changes" from the software updates we've had over the last 90 days (none were OTA; all required dealer visits). The only big chance noted, beyond the auto resume music, is that the way the Pilot Assist works no longer uses the "right" D-pad steering control but instead moved that feature/choice into the main central touch screen/settings. Other smaller changes obviously but those 2x were most notable.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean "coming our way" ? This update is listed as July and we're into August. Many of us already have this update, I believe. Our P8 went in for service a few weeks ago and got these updates. Easiest way to tell if you have this update: audio resumes when you start the car. That one feature is the "Tell tale" if you have the July update.

FWIW, our car purchased 3 months ago has -always- had working VoC; no issues for me or my wife. We've had success with the 3x features (start AC, unlock car, see charging status). The SOC does take a moment to refresh sometimes, as do other items (latency pales compared to Tesla, but is on par with my Porsche Taycan, BMW i3/i8, Mini EV and other brand experiences).

Overall, we did not really see any real "changes" from the software updates we've had over the last 90 days (none were OTA; all required dealer visits). The only big chance noted, beyond the auto resume music, is that the way the Pilot Assist works no longer uses the "right" D-pad steering control but instead moved that feature/choice into the main central touch screen/settings. Other smaller changes obviously but those 2x were most notable.
Check your dates on your software, typically the date is older than the month we are in. My music resumed with the June update which also removed the way to get to driver assist function. Tech geek here so I try to stay on top of this stuff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And

I said coming our way because Volvo just posted it on their site two days ago.

·
Registered
170 Posts
And -I said coming our way because Volvo just posted it on their site two days ago.
Ahhh ok thx for clarification. In all fairness, the P8 is my wife's car not mine. So I don't drive it during the week, only on the weekend when we're going somewhere as a family. So I haven't driven it much -- I knew the last update was a "J" month (and not January) but June vs July you could be spot on, there. That said--- our VOC/app works flawlessly as noted. So the update(s) you listed, forthcoming, don't really excite me as anything novel. Boo!!! :p

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
What do you guys think of the new update coming our way. Looks pretty lackluster I think. Still no Sirius or real VOC support.
As usual, I thought this summary was as vague and uninformative as Volvo Cars issues routinely. It raises more questions than it answers. Mention of the "engine control system optimization" and "remote engine start" made me think this update was for the XC40 PHEV with the Sensus infotainment system rather than the XC40 BEV with the AAOS system. The P8 doesn't have an engine; it has motors and there is no need to "start" the motors remotely.

Since I never received the June update OTA and many other owners have not received it either, I don't expect to see this SW update any time soon. I'm getting resigned the reality that Apple CarPlay and Sirius XM are a long way off, too.

I agree with others that the VC app has been performing better lately. However, the functionality has not been improved and there's still only 3 functions on the app for the AAOS BEVs, of which, only 2 are useful. I've given up on expecting VC to under promise and over deliver on SW features. The organization seems incapable of doing SW engineering to the de facto standard most EV owners expect, or at least P8 owners who participate in this forum expect. VC talked a good game at its Tech Moment event, but I am skeptical it can deliver on its EV vision based on my experience with the P8.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!

We've had our car for just over a week now and almost gave up on the app until I noticed today it's finally showing the charge %! Maybe it's a recent update?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello!

We've had our car for just over a week now and almost gave up on the app until I noticed today it's finally showing the charge %! Maybe it's a recent update?
That's about how long the app took to start working for me. No update to my car's software.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Took 10 mins for me on the nth try :)
For some it is instant. For others it does lot work. It is still beta for now so for each person you get to roll your own dice. Ultimately you can check your charge. Unlock the car and turn on the a. At 72 …

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the new update and it seems to have busted my GPS...or maybe it's just correlation doesn't equal causation. I am not having any other modem issues, wifi/LTE/Bluetooth are all good to go.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Is it a gps on drivers screen or the main console or both?

how is it failing ? What messages of oh so usefulness is it giving you?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is it a gps on drivers screen or the main console or both?

how is it failing ? What messages of oh so usefulness is it giving you?
No error message, I am seeing a map of the US on both displays that shows all my starred Google Maps locations.The GPS icon is "hollow" which I assume means no lock?

FWIW the radio remembering it is on is so nice I mostly don't care 😂

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My March build remembers the books on tape should be on most of the time which I also do not care :p

I assume you did console reboots? If you do a few it ends up forgetting where in the country you are if GPS is down but it does help us know it is down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had six power cycles so I am pretty certain it's not a service outage. I live in Philadelphia and none of my other GPS devices are having issues.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
As far as I know real gps which I believe we have does not have outages ( though there are situations in the world whrere it has been interfered with. )

Sounds like you have a new behavior :( it happening all on its own.

When you say navigate to <insert place> What does it do now?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
140 Posts
No error message, I am seeing a map of the US on both displays that shows all my starred Google Maps locations.The GPS icon is "hollow" which I assume means no lock?

FWIW the radio remembering it is on is so nice I mostly don't care 😂
My GPS icon (arrow head or triangle pointing at 2 o'clock) is always hollow or empty and yet my Navigation works great. I would expect that maybe one of your required location services is not selected or not working.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts