Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in Fredericksburg, Virginia and loving our 2022 XC40. My last new Volvo was a 240DL (with a few other brands in between), if that gives you an idea of how long I've been around. We've been wanting an EV for a couple of years and we finally pulled the trigger. The car has been great. Any range anxiety I still have is due to high speed chargers that aren't working, period, or don't work when you get there. Our longest trip so far has only been 180 miles, but starting to plan out a trip from Virginia to Florida.

I'm interested in adding a trailer hitch bike rack for two bikes. Is there any advantage to getting a hitch from the dealer? I see from the Volvo site that it requires a dealer-performed software change. Any idea which hitch-mounted bike rack that Volvo sells? I think it is the Thule Helium model, but the picture online is very hard to interpret. I want something lightweight so I can take it off regularly if the rack and bikes will interfere with the camera or sensors.

Terry

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
46 Posts
Hi @dorn78 !

You might enjoy the official Volvo accessories website. Here are the pictures and details of the hitch (detailed instructions) and the aluminum 4-place bike holder. My XC40 came without the hitch. I plan to add one later. I'll ask/pay Volvo to install the hitch because they will integrate it with the electrical system including the integration for trailer sway control, backup camera, etc... I figure the extra cost will be worth it since I do plan on dragging small trailers occasionally.

·
Registered
2022 XC40
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @dorn78 !

You might enjoy the official Volvo accessories website. Here are the pictures and details of the hitch (detailed instructions) and the aluminum 4-place bike holder. My XC40 came without the hitch. I plan to add one later. I'll ask/pay Volvo to install the hitch because they will integrate it with the electrical system including the integration for trailer sway control, backup camera, etc... I figure the extra cost will be worth it since I do plan on dragging small trailers occasionally.
Thanks for the information on the hitch. That is quite an involved installation! I set up an appointment to get mine done at the local dealer in a couple of weeks. Now, to decide on a bike rack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts