Volvo XC40 Forum banner

New problem

29K views 103 replies 28 participants last post by  Mikey 
#1 ·
Today, when I got into my xc40 P8, I realized that there is no GPS signal, no car modem internet, no wifi. Rebooted the system couple of times. No luck. Powered off the vehicle. No change. Reset all networks. Didn't help. Call my dealership. They told me to come in right away. They could not connect to the car. They did a factory reset. Still did not help. Tomorrow they will contact Volvo Canada for a solution. Will keep you updated...

#2 ·
I had the same loss of GPS signal problem and tried what you tried with the same result. I took the car in to the dealer and they got it sorted in a day. They were consulting with Volvo Canada as well, but I don't know exactly what they did to fix it in the end. Since then it has been a couple of weeks and I have not had the issue again.

#4 · (Edited)
I know the LTE connection was lost at the time that the GPS signal was first lost, but it appeared to be restored not long after. Sometimes my phone likes to pretend that it has a signal when it is not actually connected though so it's possible that could have happened. The GPS was forever "searching for a signal" until the dealer dealt with it though.

#12 ·
Quoted from another thread.

Magic techniques to be used when as a character in a book I love says ”weird bollocks happens”. After each technique below try the thing that had gone wrong. If it still fails please proceeding to the next
1. Exit vehicle. Lock Car. Visualize it switching off. Get back in and turn it on and Test problemish.
2. Reboot the computer by holding down the home key (big key center bottom of the display) for 20 seconds. After the Computer reboots, give it a few second to fully boot up. Now test It.
3. Exit vehicle. Lock Car. Visualize it switching off. Now walk away from the car, walk at least 30 feet from the car. (WARNING) make sure nobody else is close and that there are no other keys in the car. Wait 2 minutes (I will scientifically work on the needed wait time at some point). Now return to the car WITH ONLY ONE KEY. Open door, get in, switch it on and test the problem.
4. Do (3) BUT return to the car with a different key. Make sure all other keys stay away from the car unit you are finished. In this case if it works, make sure that you test it later with the original key.

#17 ·
I had this GPS/LTE problem for the second time in two weeks. The first time I took it to the dealer because nothing I tried worked, but at that time there weren't too many options that I knew of. Letting it sit overnight didn't fix anything for me. Today when the problem cropped up again I remembered the suggestion by mountainrecharge. I followed the instructions for resetting the modem by holding down the defrost button and it worked! I'm very glad for all the helpful folks here on the forum. Thanks.

#18 ·
I have the same issue as of this morning. "x" on the cell indicator, "searching for GPS" although the map updates with a location vaguely near, but not accurate to, my actual location.

Defrost button didn't do anything for me nor did a reset of the infotainment system. Shut the car down when I got to work this morning and locked it up, and will see if it's working again by the time I go home later.

#19 ·
I have the same issue as of this morning. "x" on the cell indicator, "searching for GPS" although the map updates with a location vaguely near, but not accurate to, my actual location.

Defrost button didn't do anything for me nor did a reset of the infotainment system. Shut the car down when I got to work this morning and locked it up, and will see if it's working again by the time I go home later.
Update: sitting parked all day at work did not solve the problem, but sitting overnight in the garage did. GPS and LTE connectivity were both back to normal this morning.

#20 ·
I had the LTE system go down a second time after working for one day. It was showing no connection for a couple days, but I think I found a pattern: if I stop the charging before it reaches full it seems to lose LTE. When I let it finish charging and nap a bit, works fine.

I always used the button by the charging port to stop it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I somewhat suspect there is a bug somewhere related to stopping the charge early. Completely anecdotal right now, and I’m kinda hesitant to try and cause a failure, but I am watching it closely.

#22 ·
US P8 owner - good luck. We have had major wifi connection issues at home (no wifi recognition). Dealer checked wifi out and said it was working fine. Contacted customer service and had no further update. System may prefer a Google wifi router or wifi card in vehicle has problem recognizing non-Google wifi routers. Overall, extremely poor customer support on this new vehicle in the Volvo family. Lifetime Volvo owner - very disappointed. However, the car is great!

#23 ·
90 degrees F today in southern Ontario - took the car for a drive to Niagara falls - about 30 mile round trip 5 minutes in A/C set at 64 degrees F and just blowing warm air - do not have heat pump option - Climate set to Auto - shows A/C is on - any thoughts on what could be wrong? Car was sweltering half way through - had to ride with the windows open the rest of the way - felts like we were back in the 50's when A/C was only for the rich and famous!!

#24 ·
There is a service bulletin floating around for the AC system being overcharged with refrigerant which causes the AC to stop working in high temps. Solution is to evacuate and recharge the refrigerant to the right capacity. Not sure if it was specific to the Recharge or the ICE models but your dealer would be able to look up. It is Service Action S10011 if you want to look it up on the NHTSA site.

#32 ·
latest update was made available on April 26 - so if you have not had it in to the dealer since then it has not been installed - so be sure to ask for them to check and do a software download so you have the latest,

#43 ·
Has an appointment at the dealer today - got a software update:

Looks like it is the same as yours now. Drivers Display now shows the map - so that is good - A/C is still intermittent - when cooler temps seems to work well - when 90 plus degrees does not work will have to call dealer again.

#39 ·
Yesterday went for a short drive - and noticed that in the drivers display the map view was frozen at our home address and neighbourhood view no matter where i drove - have not had that before - even toggling thru the different driver display views did not un-freeze the map view - will check to see if it fixed itself today - if not may have to do a reset that I have read about in the forum.

#45 ·
We're into the 90s here in Sacramento, and mine seems to do quite well cooling the car. I don't think it's quite as strong as my past cars but i suspect that's more an energy saving aspect. At any rate, after a couple of minutes it's quite comfy. It would be nice to have the VOC preconditioning working though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.