Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently you can't pair a new phone if you don't have your old one to disconnect in the app first? WTF

Does anyone know if I just reset Infotainment if I can pair the new device?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I factory reset my phone and head the same problem. The answer is to factory reset the car and then start over with pairing....... With the VOC app the way it is, i didn't bother. I can wait until it does something useful.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I factory reset my phone and head the same problem. The answer is to factory reset the car and then start over with pairing....... With the VOC app the way it is, i didn't bother. I can wait until it does something useful.
Rhughes is correct. A factory reset fixed this problem. It is surprisingly easy to do and to recover from. Do a reset follow the guide and it will probably work.

As was also said by rhuges the voc does not do much.
I will also add that even when it is working for someone it is not guaranteed it will always be working :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The car's great, the Android Automotive sucks.

Google is not Apple. Apple has perfected seamless usability and upgrades. My wife got a new iPhone 13 Pro Max and in 5-10 minutes it wall her stuff was migrated, power it up it asks if you are migrating and ask to place camera over a QR code on the phone, then it does its thing and done. All she had to do was reenter her email passwords. I will give Google some credit, I just got my new Pixel 6 Pro and migrating from a Pixel 3a XL was almost as easy.

As for your issue with VOC, honestly that is as much VOC as Google. They designed the VOC app on AAOS badly. Like they never thought of anyone upgrading their phone before. In over 4 months VOC has never worked for me. I am hoping with my new phone I will not do a car reset and try everything from scratch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not to be a contrarian, I changed phones without a hitch. I cleared the cache from the old phone, deleted the data, and the new phone installed. I'm using a Samsung phone which is not pure android.

Apple only works with Apple. Google has to work with every operating system and phone manufacturer.

Google has it's issues. If Google excluded use of all IOS phones, then you would have a reason to complain. Just like Apple will not work with any Android system.

If you get a new phone, clear the cache and data from the old phone. Then install the VOC app and pair.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to be a contrarian, I changed phones without a hitch. I cleared the cache from the old phone, deleted the data, and the new phone installed. I'm using a Samsung phone which is not pure android.

Apple only works with Apple. Google has to work with every operating system and phone manufacturer.

Google has it's issues. If Google excluded use of all IOS phones, then you would have a reason to complain. Just like Apple will not work with any Android system.

If you get a new phone, clear the cache and data from the old phone. Then install the VOC app and pair.
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

Post factory reset. DAMMIT VOLVO

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got a new iPhone and had no issues. I did the Apple Quick Start process, which did a phone to phone transfer. Once everything was on the new phone I went to the car and deleted the old phone, then paired the new phone. The Volvo Cars app works fine on the new phone.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I got a new iPhone and had no issues. I did the Apple Quick Start process, which did a phone to phone transfer. Once everything was on the new phone I went to the car and deleted the old phone, then paired the new phone. The Volvo Cars app works fine on the new phone.
You were smart enough to delete the old phones before you got rid of it. Once it is gone the voc removal option goes with it (without a factory reset).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You were smart enough to delete the old phones before you got rid of it. Once it is gone the voc removal option goes with it (without a factory reset).
See my post factory reset reply (Spoiler Alert: THE APP WONT PAIR)...also calling me not smart enough is asinine....this is a **** experience. My old phone could have died you know meaning I can no longer use the old device FFS. This is 100% Volvo's fault.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Actually I was calling myself not smart enough. I had messed up my pairing by switching phones and sending my old phone back before deleting the connection. Which is why I had to do the factory reset.

Sorry you thought I meant you. It’s a British thing we call ourselves on our own mistakes.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: revpixel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually I was calling myself not smart enough. I had messed up my pairing by switching phones and sending my old phone back before deleting the connection. Which is why I had to do the factory reset.

Sorry you thought I meant you. It’s a British thing we call ourselves on our own mistakes.

Good luck to you.
Also apologies for my misunderstanding.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
If only that worked for me.....
Yeah :( and it is craptastic that you cannot delete voc from the car. As you said phone could be lost. Die. Or as I did sent away.

Voc is not finished, polished or stable it is also honestly not that amazing even when it does work. Though I did forget my keys while walking the dog with spouse1 last night when We went to the car to get something and voc worked and unlocked it! Was happily shocked :)

To me at leaf voc is 0.05% of the P8 experience alas it seems to be 75% of peoples frustrations :(

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Also apologies for my misunderstanding.
No worries.

The written word is less accurate than a Volvo sales brochure :) I have taken offense before when there was no malice or reason because I miss read or miss interpreted something :)

This is a lovely board where pretty much everyone is trying to help each other unlike so much of the Internet :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No worries.

The written word is less accurate than a Volvo sales brochure :) I have taken offense before when there was no malice or reason because I miss read or miss interpreted something :)

This is a lovely board where pretty much everyone is trying to help each other unlike so much of the Internet :)
And I get literally everyone of my problems is a first world problem but it’s such a pain in the ass to spend 60 grand on a car to beta test software

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Of course I can afford 60k vastly easier now than I could afford 1k when I was younger :)

Are people really pushing their budgets to get the P8? I had perhaps falsely assumed that nobody gets a 60k car unless they can relatively easily afford it.

I should know better than making assumptions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts