Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a P8 two weeks ago in NJ and drove it back to OH. I’ve been lurking for several weeks, and now want to share some of my experiences, particularly regarding issues other’s have reported on this forum. The P8 is currently on the March dated software.

Overall impressions
  • Pros:
    • The P8 is fun to drive and the 0-60 acceleration is smooth and thrilling. I have a VW Golf Mk7 SportWagen that was my daily driver and I don’t think I can go back to an ICE anymore.
    • The interior comfort/quality is almost at the level of its price tag.
  • Cons:
    • The infotainment system is very beta. The hardware is probably fine, but it’s clear that there are many unresolved issues due to the buggy software and that software is such a central component of this vehicle.
    • Piano black plastic should be banished at this price point. My $30k VW Golf SportWagen SEL (top trim) has it all over and I hated it. A $60k MSRP car should not have it anywhere.
    • The XC40 feels heavy. This is my first EV, so maybe all EVs feel this way due to the weight of the battery pack. I don’t feel confident throwing it around curves.

Issues (most previously reported)
  • I had read about issues with Electrify America charging before I picked up the car. I made 6 stops to recharge at EA stations on the way back and had no issues. Most of the time I started charging by connecting the charging cable and then holding my iPhone to the charger to use the EA card in my Apple Wallet. A few times I started charging using the iOS app, but I prefer tapping to charge since it’s quicker.
  • Halfway through my drive back I noticed the LTE reception stopped working. This has continued to occur sporadically, but the first few times I did not know about rebooting the infotainment system, so I resorted to bluetooth tethering internet data.
  • Wireless QI charging with the iPhone 12 Pro is very slow. When bluetooth tethering internet data, I noticed that my iPhone 12 Pro battery depletes over time even though it is supposedly charging in the charging cradle in the center console – the charging icon on the top right of the center display is showing. Even when not using bluetooth tethering, the charging rate seems to be very slow. Something is going on with the P8‘s charging mat, because when I pickup the iPhone I can feel that the back of the case is more warm than what would happen with a charging mat at home.
  • The HVAC system will occassionally stop Air Conditioning. The fan engages but cold air does not come out. This seems to be an infotainment system bug, because rebooting seems to get the AC working again.
  • The Volvo Cars (VOC) app service seems to be buggy. My guess is that there is something going on with either the backend Volvo servers or the P8’s infotainment system software. In my first few days of ownership, charging status never showed up. Then it miraculously showed up one day only to disappear again the next day for a full week. The past few days it seems to be showing up consistently. Similarly, controlling the climate from the app almost never worked–the app would display an error saying that it could not be started. In the recent days it seems to be working more consistently.
I could go on with a longer list of nitpicks about the software, but I’ll stop here. I’m glad that this community exists and hope that Volvo software engineering adopts the frequent, incremental releases approach, because software is such a central part of the P8 driving/ownership experience.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I picked up a P8 two weeks ago in NJ and drove it back to OH. I’ve been lurking for several weeks, and now want to share some of my experiences, particularly regarding issues other’s have reported on this forum. The P8 is currently on the March dated software.

Overall impressions
  • Pros:
    • The P8 is fun to drive and the 0-60 acceleration is smooth and thrilling. I have a VW Golf Mk7 SportWagen that was my daily driver and I don’t think I can go back to an ICE anymore.
    • The interior comfort/quality is almost at the level of its price tag.
  • Cons:
    • The infotainment system is very beta. The hardware is probably fine, but it’s clear that there are many unresolved issues due to the buggy software and that software is such a central component of this vehicle.
    • Piano black plastic should be banished at this price point. My $30k VW Golf SportWagen SEL (top trim) has it all over and I hated it. A $60k MSRP car should not have it anywhere.
    • The XC40 feels heavy. This is my first EV, so maybe all EVs feel this way due to the weight of the battery pack. I don’t feel confident throwing it around curves.

Issues (most previously reported)
  • I had read about issues with Electrify America charging before I picked up the car. I made 6 stops to recharge at EA stations on the way back and had no issues. Most of the time I started charging by connecting the charging cable and then holding my iPhone to the charger to use the EA card in my Apple Wallet. A few times I started charging using the iOS app, but I prefer tapping to charge since it’s quicker.
  • Halfway through my drive back I noticed the LTE reception stopped working. This has continued to occur sporadically, but the first few times I did not know about rebooting the infotainment system, so I resorted to bluetooth tethering internet data.
  • Wireless QI charging with the iPhone 12 Pro is very slow. When bluetooth tethering internet data, I noticed that my iPhone 12 Pro battery depletes over time even though it is supposedly charging in the charging cradle in the center console – the charging icon on the top right of the center display is showing. Even when not using bluetooth tethering, the charging rate seems to be very slow. Something is going on with the P8‘s charging mat, because when I pickup the iPhone I can feel that the back of the case is more warm than what would happen with a charging mat at home.
  • The HVAC system will occassionally stop Air Conditioning. The fan engages but cold air does not come out. This seems to be an infotainment system bug, because rebooting seems to get the AC working again.
  • The Volvo Cars (VOC) app service seems to be buggy. My guess is that there is something going on with either the backend Volvo servers or the P8’s infotainment system software. In my first few days of ownership, charging status never showed up. Then it miraculously showed up one day only to disappear again the next day for a full week. The past few days it seems to be showing up consistently. Similarly, controlling the climate from the app almost never worked–the app would display an error saying that it could not be started. In the recent days it seems to be working more consistently.
I could go on with a longer list of nitpicks about the software, but I’ll stop here. I’m glad that this community exists and hope that Volvo software engineering adopts the frequent, incremental releases approach, because software is such a central part of the P8 driving/ownership experience.
The batteries are in the floor of the car - definitely extra weight but it is low in the car and actually helps the cars stability going fast around corners - no issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I need to get more comfortable with the higher ride, but what you’re saying makes sense. Would you say the P8 handles curves better than similarly sized compact SUVs?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
Better, IMHO!

I throw this thing hard into corners every once in awhile. Not much body roll and sticks like glue. My wife's former car was a modern CR-V and handles well, but the P8 is much better. I'm sure I'll end up replacing tires "too soon".

I have never had a performance car before, so while I'm sure it's not an M3 in handling capabilities, I think it rocks.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Another factor in Corning with one pedal is to make sure you are in neutral accel whilst in the turn. decel before turn. Neutral accel through turn and accelerate out of it.

I like the way the P8 corners but I have also worked my opd skills to make sure i coast. Accelerating especially the way this car can would be dangerous in a turn. ( only dangerous if you seriously deck it but a lot less comfy to have velocity changes)

Oddly to drive this car the best look up how to drive a sports car. With our 0 time to torque and quite nice torque you can mess up driving this car :)

twice I have decked it when I did not want all the power instantly (Ice non sport car behavior ) it was just uncomfy but in a different situation it would of been dangerous.
Center of grave is lovely in this car and I previously hated high riding cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Someone else commented this before but it's like driving a block of granite. It's stiff and harsh but it sticks to the road like glue and you would be hard pressed to flip this thing over. I definitely feel like I have control of the vehicle even when cornering aggressively. At no point have I felt like I was going to break traction or the body roll was too much.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
Never mind the smooth pick-up, the cornering confidence with min. to no roll, the steadiness and re-assuring glue to the road when smacked between huge 18-wheelers on both sides while travelling 75 mph then POOF, you STILL take off as if you're travelling 40 mph, the new found love of OPD....all that said..... bye-bye ICE...sniff....sob...sob....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came to Volvo having driven a good BMW plug-in and then cancelling a lease on a Tesla Model Y. After a week of driving the XC40 I have been happy with the car. I've found it hard to get tech support, however, as the dealer knows little and the central VOLVO customer support line even less. But, after the Tesla nightmare, I'm easy to please. The dealer was quite open about the lack of experience they have with this, their first, total EV and even had me sign a disclaimer form on delivery which listed those capabilities missing, but due to be added via electronic update (on-call, CarPlay etc). One issue I hope is added to the list is upgrading the Harmon Kardon sound system which is really primitive. I had an HK system on the BMW, and it included a full equalizer, plus it allowed user adjustment of all speakers to surround any point in the passenger cabin just by dragging a pointer on the touch screen. The present system with Driver, All and Rear buttons does little and the tone sliders are barely adequate. Not a huge deal, but I know what the HK hardware can do and am hopeful it will be fixed. Otherwise, as a second car for around-town driving the instant torque and one-pedal control make this a superb vehicle.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The HK system is junk in the XC40. I am in a aS60 loaner with base everything and the base sound is better. The issue si lack of lower door speakers in the XC40. Cost cutting and cripples the sound system.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I never turned on the surround and I have it decent, but once I am in another car (like the S60 with base sound) I realize how bad the HK is. I can’t believe decent sound in a car is that expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts