Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took delivery of our P8 yesterday, and it rode a little bumpier than I remembered from my test drive of another car. I checked the tire pressure and all four were at 49psi. After lowering them to the factory recommended pressure on the door jamb, the car rode nicely.

I recall this happening with another new car I bought previously. I think it's pretty common that tires are overfilled at the car manufacturer and then never adjusted during pre-delivery prep.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
Did anyone else get green valve stem caps at delivery? Green caps usually indicates nitrogen fill. I don’t know whether the nitrogen fill was done by Volvo or the dealer. There was no charge on the Monroney for nitrogen fill.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Did anyone else get green valve stem caps at delivery? Green caps usually indicates nitrogen fill. I don’t know whether the nitrogen fill was done by Volvo or the dealer. There was no charge on the Monroney for nitrogen fill.
Nope just air - perhaps it was the dealer vs. Volvo..

·
Registered
204 Posts
As it happens I checked the tire pressure two days ago. Three of the four were below the recommended pressure by 1 to 2 psi. I filled those. The fourth was down only 0.5 psi, so I didn't bother with that one.

·
Registered
320 Posts
As it happens I checked the tire pressure two days ago. Three of the four were below the recommended pressure by 1 to 2 psi. I filled those. The fourth was down only 0.5 psi, so I didn't bother with that one.
PSI can change on a daily basis due to temperature fluctuations - best to fill to recommended PSI during the average temp for a particular season knowing it will fluctuate several pounds every day up and down.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, my P8 came with nitrogen (as part of dealer-installed and included option), but they seem to be metal caps, which I'll replace with cheap plastic ones as metal caps are not recommended for our winters:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I had green caps, 3/21 build date. If you adjust the tire pressure be sure to go into the the car status and store the pressure. Good to do that before you start driving as the car needs to drive a while to store the pressure correctly. These cars use indirect TPMS, not a fan of it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
These cars use indirect TPMS, not a fan of it.
Yes, I hate this indirect system of "guessing" the tire pressures - based on one (or more) tires rotating at slightly different speed than the others (and assuming the others were properly inflated for the initial "measurement"). Apparently all Volvos work like this? Really?

I had been used to DIRECT tire pressure monitoring on my Infiniti cars since 2006.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yikes! I like the system Tesla uses: direct measurement with PSI reporting on the UI. Didn't realize Volvo saved money here.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yes, I hate this indirect system of "guessing" the tire pressures - based on one (or more) tires rotating at slightly different speed than the others (and assuming the others were properly inflated for the initial "measurement"). Apparently all Volvos work like this? Really?

I had been used to DIRECT tire pressure monitoring on my Infiniti cars since 2006.
This is popular with the Europeans. My Audi was same thing. I think it is because over there it is common to,swap tires for winter and this reduces costs of having a second set of TPMS Sensors. I have been looking for a good third party add on. I loved the systems in my Asian cars, direct readout, sensors inside the rim part of the tire valve assembly. Also made for a ridged valve stem. Theses flimsy valve stems on the Volvo make it hard for me to get my good tire garage to seal well to get a good reading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts