Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m going to pickup our new XC40 recharge from a dealer 4 hours away. I’m using ChargePoint to route the trip. There are several charging stations halfway home I figured I could charge there. Problem is I don’t know how fast they charge or the car charges. I’m seeing posts from people that have used it saying 6-8 KWH. Is that an hour? I found a free one owned by the electrical company in our state but I’m worried it will take hours to charge it. I’d like to find a fast charger even if I have to pay to get it home faster.
I’m going from Billings, MT to Helena, MT if that helps.

·
Registered
371 Posts
6-8 kWh will take you six to eight hours to charge. You'll need at least 50 kW to fast charge, 125 kW is better.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You should plug your trip into ABRP -- it looks like you'll need to duck off to Gardiner and then back onto the route, and for the first leg you'll need to limit your speed to 60 mph.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The other option is Audi in Bozeman, but I'd call ahead to make sure you are able to use that charger and that it's not behind a locked gate intended only for Audi folks. PlugShare looks like you should be able to, though the price isn't cheap. Whatever route you choose, make sure the dealer has you charged to 100% before you leave.

Reactions: snoopy369

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other option is Audi in Bozeman, but I'd call ahead to make sure you are able to use that charger and that it's not behind a locked gate intended only for Audi folks. PlugShare looks like you should be able to, though the price isn't cheap. Whatever route you choose, make sure the dealer has you charged to 100% before you leave.
Audi is free to use. I actually looked at a Tesla there and a Mach-e came in and charged there. Looks like $25/hr at 44KwH. How long would it take to charge back up?

·
Registered
371 Posts
ABRP says about 45 minutes if you're leaving your dealer at 100%. You're not filling up, only need to get to 60% to make it the rest of the way home.

[EDIT]: Make sure you enter any anticipated head wind in ABRP. Even a 10mph head wind will require additional charge time to ensure you get home.

Reactions: snoopy369

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
174 Posts
So I’m going to pickup our new XC40 recharge from a dealer 4 hours away. I’m using ChargePoint to route the trip. There are several charging stations halfway home I figured I could charge there. Problem is I don’t know how fast they charge or the car charges. I’m seeing posts from people that have used it saying 6-8 KWH. Is that an hour? I found a free one owned by the electrical company in our state but I’m worried it will take hours to charge it. I’d like to find a fast charger even if I have to pay to get it home faster.
I’m going from Billings, MT to Helena, MT if that helps.
They probably said 6-8 kW rather than kWh. You'll learn this pretty quick, but power is measured in kilowatts (kW), that's the rate at which energy is flowing from the charging station into your car at any instant in time; and energy is measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh), that's power accumulated over time, e.g. 6 kW of power for two hours would put 12 kWh of energy into your car. So "6 kWh per hour" is a roundabout way of just saying "6 kW".

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ahh ok. Makes sense. I’m hoping I can push 80 all the way home and pay for fast charging at Bozeman Audi. I gotta get back ASAP
80 with the elevation change will leave you short of Bozeman, especially if you’ve got a 8-10 mph headwind (which forecast suggests).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Human body Font Plot Parallel Screenshot

I'm not sure if you've seen this graph before but the range of you going 60 (100km/h) is going to be about 75% of the max range of 220 miles (165 miles) but at 80 mph (~130 km/h) its going to be a little less than half or about 100 miles. This is from the manual and probably pretty conservative but I would recommend not testing it out on your first trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
80 with the elevation change will leave you short of Bozeman, especially if you’ve got a 8-10 mph headwind (which forecast suggests).
I made it to Bozeman with 20% left and we started with 90%. I set the cruise at 70mph the whole way. I used the range optimizer thing and had climate control off after I was comfortable (it was 100 degrees in Billings)
I’m fast charging now at Audi. It’s open after hours to charge at.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That’s great efficiency, actually, for the distance and climb. Enjoy the rest of the trip!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would add electrify america as your preferred public chargers in ABRP.
I don't think there's any EA buildout in MT yet... that's in the current phase, MN to WA along 94.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I made it home last night just fine with 28% left. Was a little concerned because it dropped to 23% when I got in this morning. I found a destination charger that's J1774 a block from my work that's free to use. It says 17mile/hr. on the dash when plugged in. It's been plugged in about two hours and my app says it's at 35% now. Kinda slow but it's free so whatever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts