Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XC60 Inscription 2020 XC90 Insc
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very long time Volvo owner. Currently on a dealer list for `23 XC40 Recharge. While my utility company (GMP Vermont) will install a free home charger, type unknown at this time…I am curious as to what my options are for Home Chargers? Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
2022 Late XC40 Twin, 2017 BRZ
949 Posts
I primarily suggest you get something that's UL listed, or with some similar safety certification. The Recharge can handle up to 48A L2 charging, so if you want the fastest possible charge you probably need to get a hardwired EVSE rather than a NEMA plug. I have a hardwired Pulsar 48A Wallbox, and have no complaints. It also has its own app with various features that I've never needed to use.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
535 Posts
Grizzle Chargers
Heavy duty, made in Canada. The electrical contractors I used for my house said they installed more than 40 grizzlies and no problems. I have non smart one. Their smart chargers seems to be still work in progress on the software part.
That is what I will recommend.
If you want something else I am sure you will get good advice here.
Second the UL listed.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
274 Posts
Grizzle Chargers
Heavy duty, made in Canada. The electrical contractors I used for my house said they installed more than 40 grizzlies and no problems. I have non smart one. Their smart chargers seems to be still work in progress on the software part.
That is what I will recommend.
If you want something else I am sure you will get good advice here.
Second the UL listed.
I will "second" the Grizzle. I have one and love it -- have never had a problem in over a year.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
203 Posts
Very long time Volvo owner. Currently on a dealer list for `23 XC40 Recharge. While my utility company (GMP Vermont) will install a free home charger, type unknown at this time…I am curious as to what my options are for Home Chargers? Thanks, Bill
I got a 250V 50A outlet installed in my garage from a local electrical company that does work for Tesla owners. I have had no issues charging my C40 daily. You may want to review the following article if you haven’t already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will "second" the Grizzle. I have one and love it -- have never had a problem in over a year.
Thanks to XC_Dinosaur and Vatorney3! Just found out that my Utility Co. (GMP) gives one of two (Level 2 Chargers) to its customers….Thanks for your help!
Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I primarily suggest you get something that's UL listed, or with some similar safety certification. The Recharge can handle up to 48A L2 charging, so if you want the fastest possible charge you probably need to get a hardwired EVSE rather than a NEMA plug. I have a hardwired Pulsar 48A Wallbox, and have no complaints. It also has its own app with various features that I've never needed to use.
Oops! Forgot to thank Improvius! Thanks! And kudos to 340driver and any future replies😀
Bill

·
Registered
158 Posts
Since the XC40 Recharge already comes with a built in EVSE I just use the 240v 50A outlet with the cable that Volvo supplied, nice and simple.
+1, I did that too until Road trip time, when I wanted to take the Volvo EVSE with me. I bought another cheap EVSE on Amazon and use that as my daily driver for charging. having the Volvo EVSE with me, capable of 110V operation was very useful at a couple of AirBnBs to keep me topped up.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
412 Posts
+1, I did that too until Road trip time, when I wanted to take the Volvo EVSE with me. I bought another cheap EVSE on Amazon and use that as my daily driver for charging. having the Volvo EVSE with me, capable of 110V operation was very useful at a couple of AirBnBs to keep me topped up.
I do think about buying a spare cable to take with me in case of emergency but my life style (retired) after 14 months I have never seen the need yet but I did get the Tesla adapter just in case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have 4 Grizzles installed at our condo building - been super happy with them. The Tesla drivers like them too. They are just SIMPLE. Get the simple ones that just work!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Take whatever your utility company is offering for free. They’re probably doing a deal with ChargePoint or JuiceBox. Both are fine units and I’m sure the utility company has a high bar for quality. And of course, free!! Just make sure it puts out 48A (on a 60A breaker).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since the XC40 Recharge already comes with a built in EVSE I just use the 240v 50A outlet with the cable that Volvo supplied, nice and simple.
This.. I have an outlet with 50A breaker and I use 40A (80% of 50A) as the current limit in the XC40.

Curious, can some of the other posters reply as to why additional EVSEs are desired? Is it because of extra feature that they bring to the table (like WiFi connectivity, charge graphs, energy consumption, usage patterns, etc.)?

·
Registered
2022 Late XC40 Twin, 2017 BRZ
949 Posts
This.. I have an outlet with 50A breaker and I use 40A (80% of 50A) as the current limit in the XC40.

Curious, can some of the other posters reply as to why additional EVSEs are desired? Is it because of extra feature that they bring to the table (like WiFi connectivity, charge graphs, energy consumption, usage patterns, etc.)?
I got a hardwired EVSE for the higher charging speed and the convenience of being able to keep the OEM cable in the frunk at all times. I rarely use the OEM cable, but whenever I've needed it, it's right there for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Our power company doesn't provide reduced rates at night, so we purchased the basic Grizzle charger, paid a little extra for the longer cable that remains flexible in cold weather.

We could have just used the charger that came with the car, but we went with the Grizzle for the robustness (it's mounted on the outside of the garage), price (you can buy a refurb'd model from Grizzle if they have any available, same warranty), and we wanted to keep the Volvo charger in the frunk so it would always be available to us for road tripping.

·
Registered
347 Posts
ChargePoint Flex on a 50 amp circuit
  1. Knows the rates for my electricity plan so it automatically charges when cheapest.
    (Purchased prior to charging timer available in the vehicle.)
  2. Longer cable is also easier to use.
  3. Integrated cable management.
  4. Remote monitoring is easier to use than the Volvo app to see if the vehicle is charging.
  5. Volvo EVSE stays in vehicle.
  6. Outlet doesn't support weight of cable, fewer plug/unplug cycles over time.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
346 Posts
I 2nd the ChargePoint Flex. It's been great and has a lot of app features. Plus, our power company approves it for discounted rates.

Reactions: corporate_gadfly

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
203 Posts
Since your Vermont electric is going to provide free "installation" and they also going to supply you with some device called a "wall connectorr" (BTW, they are not chargers. The charger is in your car.) for free you're good. Have it wired for 60 amp and you're capable of 48 amps charging in your car. My Tesla I wired with a 50 amp wall outlet (fast enough to have the car charge at 40 amps) and then when we go the Volvo they provided a free ChargePoint wall connector so I wired that one for 60 amps and now I can used it for either car at 48amps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since your Vermont electric is going to provide free "installation" and they also going to supply you with some device called a "wall connectorr" (BTW, they are not chargers. The charger is in your car.) for free you're good. Have it wired for 60 amp and you're capable of 48 amps charging in your car. My Tesla I wired with a 50 amp wall outlet (fast enough to have the car charge at 40 amps) and then when we go the Volvo they provided a free ChargePoint wall connector so I wired that one for 60 amps and now I can used it for either car at 48amps.
Thanks BikerBill and everyone else! With the wonderful knowledge that is being passed on here, hopefully I can return the favor some day to some new newbie like me:)

·
Registered
407 Posts

In my case, it’s because the local utility uses the EVSE to report my usage to them in order to give me lower overnight pricing without having a dedicated second meter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts