Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried mapping out a route from SF to LA. It informed me to add stops for changing, but I notice it seems to be preferring lower charge rate 62.5 kW ChargePoint stations instead of faster 150 kW Electrify America stops. Anyone else notice this? Is there a way to override the behavior?

·
Registered
315 Posts
This is a shortcoming of the Google operating system, not Volvo. But yes, this is normal behavior and is not good. Everyone’s threshold is different, but I’d personally want to filter to 100kW and above only (there are some ChargePoint spots near me that are 120kW shared) but most of the 100+ are as you found, EA chargers.

At the moment you cannot filter like this (you can in PlugShare). So the best work around is to just navigate yourself to the desired charging location. Even in a Tesla or such, I always suggest pre planning any trip using your app of choice. I like the trip planner in the PlugShare app/web site, but EV Trip Planner and sites like that can be even better. A Better Route Planner is one of the most comprehensive, although the powerful ness of it can be daunting for many users.

FWIW, we’ve taken a few trips already in our XC40 and I’ve trip planned using PlugShare, then turn off ALL networks except for Electrify America, and saved the trip. Then during the drive I can just pull up the saved trip on my phone, and then by voice say “hey google, get directions to ElectrifyAmerica charging station Pittsburgh Pennsylvania” (fore example) and it works great. Food for thought…

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Really hope we get ABRP as an app for the car the same as polestar does. Electrify America seems to be the only true fast charging lvl 3 network around. Most others seem to only do the 50 lvl 3 which is disappointing.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
315 Posts
Realistically we don’t even need ABRP (@SeattleCat )— we just need Google Maps to allow users to “prefer” a certain network. I‘m currently paying hte monthly fee to EA to get discounted charging because we will travel enough over the summer to net a savings this way. And as you said their charging network is the most robust. Down the road if the native map allowed us to filter by network that’d be even better than ABRP — just route me via EA chargers and no added planning necessary!

·
Registered
315 Posts
@SeattleCat -- you are on point there. I also do like the fact that you can pre plan a trip from your desktop/tablet using ABRP or PlugShare or similar. So having the ability to then load that route into your car would be nice. I wish there was a more seamless integration there. As a matter of fact -- has anyone figured out how to pre-load a multi-point Google nav trip to the car?

Meaning .... let's say on my desktop I have a multi-point trip (3-4 diff destinations). Obviously the car (XC40) tied into my account (google) will show those as "recents" in my search history. But I'd love to be able to "Send to car" -- and not just 1x point but many. AHh... I'm dreaming again though sorry LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried mapping out a route from SF to LA. It informed me to add stops for changing, but I notice it seems to be preferring lower charge rate 62.5 kW ChargePoint stations instead of faster 150 kW Electrify America stops. Anyone else notice this? Is there a way to override the behavior? View attachment 870
Will be curious about where you charge. We used Plugshare to plan our route. We drove from LA north, but on the 99. We did stop at the Tejon Ranch rest top with free chargers, and the experience was good - not super fast but good enough for free [don't remember the charge rate but seemed fine]. More places to charge on the 99 - but a little out of your way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts