Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone figured out to navigate to the address of a contact by voice?
There seems to be a Google Maps bug where it correctly searches contacts first then all other addresses when you type/tap an address into the search box but incorrectly (and inexplicably) switches that order when searching by voice. So saying "hey Google, navigate to <name_of_contact>" will find some business with a similar enough name, which might be very far away, and start navigating there.
There are many threads about this on the web going back for years. Seems like one of the most obvious uses of navigation so it seems surprising that it's still a problem, especially when it works correctly when typing instead of using voice, but especially in a driving context one wants to get the voice mode right for safety reasons.
It's not an issue of the contacts not being available because voice commands to call or txt the contact work. It happens the same way without the car just pulling up the maps app on the phone and clicking the microphone. And some of the threads noted that putting the phone into airplane mode then searching demonstrates that the Maps app is still searching the contacts because it then does then find the contact (because the contacts are presumably downloaded to the phone, but not all businesses are even w/ offline maps downloads---I guess the offline maps only does the streets so it needs internet to search all business names).
Anyone find a workaround that works in the car?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
388 Posts
Anyone figured out to navigate to the address of a contact by voice?
There seems to be a Google Maps bug where it correctly searches contacts first then all other addresses when you type/tap an address into the search box but incorrectly (and inexplicably) switches that order when searching by voice. So saying "hey Google, navigate to <name_of_contact>" will find some business with a similar enough name, which might be very far away, and start navigating there.
There are many threads about this on the web going back for years. Seems like one of the most obvious uses of navigation so it seems surprising that it's still a problem, especially when it works correctly when typing instead of using voice, but especially in a driving context one wants to get the voice mode right for safety reasons.
It's not an issue of the contacts not being available because voice commands to call or txt the contact work. It happens the same way without the car just pulling up the maps app on the phone and clicking the microphone. And some of the threads noted that putting the phone into airplane mode then searching demonstrates that the Maps app is still searching the contacts because it then does then find the contact (because the contacts are presumably downloaded to the phone, but not all businesses are even w/ offline maps downloads---I guess the offline maps only does the streets so it needs internet to search all business names).
Anyone find a workaround that works in the car?
One work-around is going into Google maps (while signed into your Google account) and putting in the person’s address, then naming that as “Mum’s house” for example. It seems to work then. But yeah, you would have to do that for all your frequently-used contacts, and it’s sort of a separate thing than navigating to a contact’s address. Sorry that’s probably not too helpful but seems to work for us...just the same way as you put in your home address and name it “Home”.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
I found navigating, calling or texting worked best when the contact was in my google contacts. When the contact wasn't there it couldn't find it (unless I said the address like "123 first street"). If I say "take me to Mum's place" it will do that quite well because she's in my google contacts.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I found navigating, calling or texting worked best when the contact was in my google contacts. When the contact wasn't there it couldn't find it (unless I said the address like "123 first street"). If I say "take me to Mum's place" it will do that quite well because she's in my google contacts.
Ahh, yes, I didn’t think to ask the OP whether they use Google Contacts...that’s all we use, but for 99% of them I just have an email and/or phone number...no address...so for me it only really works for those specific people whose address I’ve saved. I guess that’s obvious! :)

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
Ahh, yes, I didn’t think to ask the OP whether they use Google Contacts...that’s all we use, but for 99% of them I just have an email and/or phone number...no address...so for me it only really works for those specific people whose address I’ve saved. I guess that’s obvious! :)
Yes I am the same. I only have addresses for a few contacts but those I do have in my google contacts work flawlessly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've sometimes had this problem using Android Auto in a different car, where if I said "navigate to (name from my contacts)" it tries to navigate to some similar-sounding business listing far away instead. Recently I was able to get around this by saying "home" after the name. Give that a try and see if it helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, all my contacts are in Google contacts and I'm only talking about the contacts for which there are addresses in the Google contact entry for that person. Putting "home" before or after the name does not seem to help.
I.e., I have for example John Smith with address 123 Main St, Somecity, Astate <zip>. I pull out my (Android) phone, tap the Google Maps app, tap the search box and type in John Smith and it pulls up John Smith's address from my contacts. But I instead hit the microphone button on the app next to the search bar (on my phone far away from my car) and say "john smith" I get john smith legal offices, john smith construction, etc. If I say "navigate to..." before the name it just finds the same businesses but navigates to the 1st one. If I say "home of..." before or "'s home" or "home" after, it does the same thing. If I do any of these in the car it behaves exactly as it does when I hit the microphone next to the search box in the Google Maps app on the phone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am the same. I only have addresses for a few contacts but those I do have in my google contacts work flawlessly.
So you say navigate to <name of contact> and it starts navigating to that person's house? That's not what I'm getting. If you go to the Google Maps app on your phone and hit the microphone icon next to the search box and say it does it work there too? What could be different about our settings or the way we have the addresses stored in Google Contacts that could explain the difference in behavior?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you say navigate to <name of contact> and it starts navigating to that person's house? That's not what I'm getting. If you go to the Google Maps app on your phone and hit the microphone icon next to the search box and say it does it work there too? What could be different about our settings or the way we have the addresses stored in Google Contacts that could explain the difference in behavior?
Are you sure you don't have the address of that person entered into Google Maps itself as a place?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes, all my contacts are in Google contacts and I'm only talking about the contacts for which there are addresses in the Google contact entry for that person. Putting "home" before or after the name does not seem to help.
I.e., I have for example John Smith with address 123 Main St, Somecity, Astate <zip>. I pull out my (Android) phone, tap the Google Maps app, tap the search box and type in John Smith and it pulls up John Smith's address from my contacts. But I instead hit the microphone button on the app next to the search bar (on my phone far away from my car) and say "john smith" I get john smith legal offices, john smith construction, etc. If I say "navigate to..." before the name it just finds the same businesses but navigates to the 1st one. If I say "home of..." before or "'s home" or "home" after, it does the same thing. If I do any of these in the car it behaves exactly as it does when I hit the microphone next to the search box in the Google Maps app on the phone.
You are signed into your Google account on the car, right? Just confirming. I suppose it’s automatic or in the settings somewhere. We just ticked yes/allow to everything when we did the set-up process for any permissions.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
Yes, that's the case. When I drive close to their places (but not going to their place) they also appear in the map with a marker (e.g. Mom's house will appear on the map when I go close to it so it appears on the map even though I'm not navigating there).

I will say I only have about half a dozen addresses in there as I am an iOS person so I only keep the addresses in there that I want to navigate to regularly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that's the case. When I drive close to their places (but not going to their place) they also appear in the map with a marker (e.g. Mom's house will appear on the map when I go close to it so it appears on the map even though I'm not navigating there).

I will say I only have about half a dozen addresses in there as I am an iOS person so I only keep the addresses in there that I want to navigate to regularly.
Did you explicitly put these addresses into Google Maps as places in your account, or are they only in the address field of your Google Contacts?

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
Did you explicitly put these addresses into Google Maps as places in your account, or are they only in the address field of your Google Contacts?
So I have to apologize. I thought this was working but it doesn't seem to be working on voice like I thought.

I only have three addresses in my google accounts that I navigate to from time to time. They appear in my contacts in the car and I also have them as favourites and they will appear in the map marked with an inverted tear drop in pink with a heart in it. It is easy to access them through the search function but only by touching the screen and navigating to favourites or contacts (about three touches). I can't seem to do it by asking "Hey Google".

Apologies for the confusion on my part.

·
Registered
388 Posts
OK, I just looked at my Google Maps app on the iPad, and I have several addresses saved in there in “my places”. Within that “tab” there’s “lists” that has a few “favourites” address (but none of them have names associated with them) then there’s a tab with “labelled” addresses such as “Home”, “Mum’s House”, “Nic & Rod’s House” etc. The ones that are “labelled” in my Google Maps places I can navigate to by saying “Hey Google, Navigate to Mum’s House” for example. Hope that helps.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
So two pics from the car.

When you click on the search bar you can get the following selection:

Gadget Rectangle Font Display device Multimedia

Address in there that are favourites appear in the map as the pink place markers with a heart in them. Clicking on them will navigate you to them. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to do it by voice.

World Leaf Textile Organism Rectangle

Apologies for the pics being sideways. Not sure how that happened.

·
Registered
388 Posts
So two pics from the car.

When you click on the search bar you can get the following selection:

View attachment 2382

Address in there that are favourites appear in the map as the pink place markers with a heart in them. Clicking on them will navigate you to them. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to do it by voice.

View attachment 2384

Apologies for the pics being sideways. Not sure how that happened.
Hmm, yeah, if favourites are just saved addresses, not sure how you would ask Google to navigate to them as they have no name associated with them as far as I know...however if you add labels to them, then you should be able to navigate to them via voice command. Works for me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I noted the same problem - in the car, I can't voice navigate to a contact. Can do it by typing. On my Android phone, both ways work. I mentioned this to a Volvo customer agent as a bug. It's annoying.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
Hmm, yeah, if favourites are just saved addresses, not sure how you would ask Google to navigate to them as they have no name associated with them as far as I know...however if you add labels to them, then you should be able to navigate to them via voice command. Works for me.
How do you add labels to contacts? I can't seem to see how to do it in the car or on the computer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts