Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Got the P8 2022 in december. Lovely car to drive, comfortable, good looking, stylish and man so much fun leaving everyone behind at traffic lights ;)

I was wondering if some of you share the same remarks or have answers to these. Software is 1.7, European market.

• When pulling a trailer or bike carrier. Pilot assist and blind spot alert are completely disabled. Is this always the case?
  • How do you connect with your devices to the WiFi of the car? It doesn't broadcast any signal and I cannot find any setting for this. The only setting is to connect the car to a WiFi signal outside.
  • You can enable the heating while parked but it is not possible to exit the car and have your front and back window heating on? Just heating the car won't help me scratching all the frozen windows
  • Wireless charging. My OnePlus 9 charges wirelessly, but the car has to make like 5-10 notifications that it is not charging and the area needs to be cleared. However there is nothing there except the phone and at the end it has been charged for an acceptable percentage. Not expecting warp speeds here from the pad.
  • Fan speed. Automatic climate to me means fully automatic. Adjusting fan speed is a manual action. This should be adjusted automatically when reaching the desired temperature right?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
632 Posts
When pulling a trailer or bike carrier. Pilot assist and blind spot alert are completely disabled. Is this always the case?
Yes, along with Rear Auto-Braking. It's only the case if you plug in the electrical trailer connection.
How do you connect with your devices to the WiFi of the car? It doesn't broadcast any signal and I cannot find any setting for this. The only setting is to connect the car to a WiFi signal outside.
You don't. This car does not have a Wi-Fi hotspot feature. It is a Wi-Fi CLIENT only - eg, it can use your home wi-fi while parked in the garage, etc.

·
Registered
462 Posts
  • You can enable the heating while parked but it is not possible to exit the car and have your front and back window heating on? Just heating the car won't help me scratching all the frozen windows
  • Fan speed. Automatic climate to me means fully automatic. Adjusting fan speed is a manual action. This should be adjusted automatically when reaching the desired temperature right?
Since some of the other items were responded to already and these 2x I can actually help, here is my reply:

RE: CABIN HEATING — It is a bummer that we cannot control, on a more granular level, what the heating does. I know that in some of my cars (Tesla, etc) the winter heating would def run the front defrost, maybe even the rear. That said, I have noticed that if you take full advantage of the full allowable ~15mins that the cabin heat seems to run, you’ll reap the benefits. Meaning even just 10mins of pre heating the cabin does an amazing job melting the glass too, that you wont actually end up having to do much scraping of ice/snow. It should just slide off (get a SnoBrum, those after 10-15min preheating, is all you should ever honestly need in an EV!)

RE: FAN SPEED — This is a pro/con of the car. If you came from BMW you’re actually used to this. For years BMW (Mini) vehicles have offered this sort of odd hybrid of cabin temp control. Some people dont like high (or low) fan speed, but want to reach optimal temps. I’ve always “assumed” that the lower fan speed might cause the car to put in more heat at lower speed, or higher fan speed might allow less heat? Either way, I can say with certainty that in my BMW products I normally just leave it in the middle (“3” in the case of our XC40) and never touch it. That said, when getting into the car in the hot summer days, i did find self at 4/5 sometimes, then back down to 3 once optimal temp reached. But I digress; i agree with your logic that fan speed should be- and i have seen some discussions that this actually happens; that perhaps the car does higher fan speed but the speed you set is the max? Or only matters after temp is reached? If you can find useful data here please do share—- (and i am a stereotypical male; i’ve never once read the manual on this matter LOL)

·
Registered
12 Posts
This one I find interesting as well. Volvo is the only car I have owned where the fan is not truly automatic. Any other vehicle I've owned with auto climate control is a set temp and forget. The one feature I truly miss from my GMC was when you received a phone call, the climate fan would automatically go to a low speed setting. This way you are not trying to fight the fan noise.

·
Registered
632 Posts
This one I find interesting as well. Volvo is the only car I have owned where the fan is not truly automatic. Any other vehicle I've owned with auto climate control is a set temp and forget. The one feature I truly miss from my GMC was when you received a phone call, the climate fan would automatically go to a low speed setting. This way you are not trying to fight the fan noise.
Maybe I’m wrong but my impression is the fan speed is “automatic” within limits. The number you choose acts as an upper bound on the speed.

I agree it would be nice if the fan speed responded to phone usage. Don’t think ours does that.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
388 Posts
Maybe I’m wrong but my impression is the fan speed is “automatic” within limits. The number you choose acts as an upper bound on the speed.

I agree it would be nice if the fan speed responded to phone usage. Don’t think ours does that.
Yes I think that’s correct - if you set the fan to 3, that is the max, and it will vary up to 3 to keep the cabin temp appropriate. It is kinda nice not having it go to WARP speed like some cars do every time the sun hits the sun sensor in the summer on a hot day!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, along with Rear Auto-Braking. It's only the case if you plug in the electrical trailer connection.

You don't. This car does not have a Wi-Fi hotspot feature. It is a Wi-Fi CLIENT only - eg, it can use your home wi-fi while parked in the garage, etc.
I added a SIM card to my car and now it can act as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Unless you have Xfinity then you still cant.. You will have to buy your own router/modem and set up a guest connection..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless you have Xfinity then you still cant.. You will have to buy your own router/modem and set up a guest connection..
I have a European Volvo XC40 P5 Recharge. I copied this from the ownersmanual:

“Wi-Fi Hotspot
Cars equipped with Volvo On Call have a SIM card holder in the glovebox. This allows you to connect your car to the Internet by using a twin card (from your mobile phone) or a separate SIM card which you insert in the cardholder in the glovebox.
This Internet connection provides better reception as an aerial is connected to the SIM cardholder, which makes sure your Volvo is connected to the Internet regardless of who is driving the car. It is also possible to use Wi-Fi Hotspot, which allows you to share your Internet connection with Wi-Fi-compatible devices in the car (e.g. mobile phones, computers and tablets).”

·
Registered
632 Posts
Funny. My P8 can connect to my neighbor's Xfinity wi-fi just fine. But was unable to connect to my own dual-band wi-fi (Amplifi HD router) - until I created a single-band network (either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz).

As I've stated in several other threads here - we still don't REALLY understand the precise technical reason the P8 can connect to some wi-fi routers & not others. Sometimes a single-band network does the trick; for some people a "Guest Network" has worked. For many others - it connects to their router's normal dual-band network just fine (including my neighbor's Xfinity router).

In any case, that wasn't the point of this thread. The original poster assumed the P8 could be a wi-fi hotspot - but it cannot.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a European Volvo XC40 P5 Recharge. I copied this from the ownersmanual:
XC40 P5 Recharge? Never heard of it. I think you're confusing a gas-powered or hybrid model with the pure-electric Recharge - which is the topic of this forum.

And no, the pure-electric Recharge does NOT have a SIM-card holder in the glovebox. It does NOT support a wi-fi hotspot at all, as stated above. The pure-electric XC40 Recharge has a completely different software architecture and operating system from your car - which means it has a quite different (still incomplete) feature set.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I added a SIM card to my car and now it can act as a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Yes, but you don't have a pure-electric P8 Recharge, do you? Here on this forum (which is just for the pure-electric models) - we're painfully aware that your gas- or hybrid- XC40 can do a lot of things our cars cannot 😢

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, but you don't have a pure-electric P8 Recharge, do you? Here on this forum (which is just for the pure-electric models) - we're painfully aware that your gas- or hybrid- XC40 can do a lot of things our cars cannot 😢
I stand corrected and apologize. My P5 hybrid is also called “Recharge”, so that is why I got confused. Wonderful naming strategy by Volvo…..

·
Registered
632 Posts
And no, the pure-electric Recharge does NOT have a SIM-card holder in the glovebox. It does NOT support a wi-fi hotspot at all, as stated above.
Just for clarity - the pure-electric Recharge DOES have a SIM-card holder in the overhead module near the SOS button and sunroof controls. But it's currently not used for anything; according to one Volvo person this just happens to be there because it's a shared hardware component with other Volvo models.

I've speculated that when our free Google data plans expire after 4 years (here in the US anyway) it's conceivable they could enable this "customer-SIM" slot via a software update, possibly even adding wi-fi hotspot capability (since it would now be your data plan paying for it, not theirs).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just for clarity - the pure-electric Recharge DOES have a SIM-card holder in the overhead module near the SOS button and sunroof controls. But it's currently not used for anything; according to one Volvo person this just happens to be there because it's a shared hardware component with other Volvo models.

I've speculated that when our free Google data plans expire after 4 years (here in the US anyway) it's conceivable they could enable this "customer-SIM" slot via a software update, possibly even adding wi-fi hotspot capability (since it would now be your data plan paying for it, not theirs).
I wonder if anyone has tried putting their own SIM card in the overhead console SIM slot? Would be interesting to know if it would then allow you to select between that SIM and the current e-SIM. I’m not game to try it as the car might have an existential crisis! ;)

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
762 Posts
I battle with the Temp Control when weather is either too cold (<30s) or too hot (>95s) - the "Auto" adjustment "set" at certain temp. is NEVER reflected. You would think say Setting at 68 degrees would control the cabin within 68 degrees regardless of outside temperature. But I find that at times, even within a 30 minute drive, setting 68 degrees could feel like an artic blast.....but other times, 68% is an oven........ Yes, I'm exaggerating some, but it's mind-boggling for me.

I only struggle messing with the temp in the Summer months. In winter months, I actually switch off the Temp, but use the heat and steering wheel heater instead (warm/hot air blowing suffocates me during a longer drive that triggers my migraine). Until summer rolls around, I'm enjoying NOT having to mess with temperature during my drive!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I battle with the Temp Control when weather is either too cold (<30s) or too hot (>95s) - the "Auto" adjustment "set" at certain temp. is NEVER reflected. You would think say Setting at 68 degrees would control the cabin within 68 degrees regardless of outside temperature. But I find that at times, even within a 30 minute drive, setting 68 degrees could feel like an artic blast.....but other times, 68% is an oven........ Yes, I'm exaggerating some, but it's mind-boggling for me.

I only struggle messing with the temp in the Summer months. In winter months, I actually switch off the Temp, but use the heat and steering wheel heater instead (warm/hot air blowing suffocates me during a longer drive that triggers my migraine). Until summer rolls around, I'm enjoying NOT having to mess with temperature during my drive!
The only thing I can think of in summer that may help is - to avoid “blast” set the fan speed to 2 or 3, so it prevents the fan speed from going up so high. And also, if it’s hot outside and you don’t have the AC “snowflake” switched on, yes, the car will increase fan speed to the maximum level you have allowed, trying to cool the cabin, but it won’t be cool air because you don’t have the AC switched on. Just some thoughts...you may already know that and I’d say if these settings don’t help, then there must be a problem with your car as ours works perfectly in summer and winter to control the temps.
Edit - we were perfectly conditioned even when the temp hit 41C (about 105F) a couple weeks ago!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
493 Posts
It also acts as a lower bound. If I set the "automatic" fan speed to 5, it'll never slow down to whisper-quiet. I brought this matter up with Volvo customer service, as it's really inexcusable in a modern car, and they didn't see to know what I was talking about. Like they all drive Volvos and think it's normal.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It also acts as a lower bound. If I set the "automatic" fan speed to 5, it'll never slow down to whisper-quiet. I brought this matter up with Volvo customer service, as it's really inexcusable in a modern car, and they didn't see to know what I was talking about. Like they all drive Volvos and think it's normal.
It’s a bit strange - we had Volvo C30 before this and it truly was automatic climate control - set and forget!

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
762 Posts
The only thing I can think of in summer that may help is - to avoid “blast” set the fan speed to 2 or 3, so it prevents the fan speed from going up so high. And also, if it’s hot outside and you don’t have the AC “snowflake” switched on, yes, the car will increase fan speed to the maximum level you have allowed, trying to cool the cabin, but it won’t be cool air because you don’t have the AC switched on. Just some thoughts...you may already know that and I’d say if these settings don’t help, then there must be a problem with your car as ours works perfectly in summer and winter to control the temps.
Edit - we were perfectly conditioned even when the temp hit 41C (about 105F) a couple weeks ago!
View attachment 2378
Your observations are true......I've shared some posts in the summer.....and it DID appear that my AC was not at par....but i couldn't replicate them as weather started to cool off around there in the autumn, so I knew the Dealer would give me a run-around if they could not replicate my "complains" -- so I decided to take more notes for the Winter instead to see how it behaves on the Heating side.

It's great to hear that yours is working well ! I hope that with the few "updates" since summer, perhaps overall stability may play a tiny part (or at least wishful thinking on my end).

If the matter doesn't improve come this summer, it is definitely going in. Summer here is brutal !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts