Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a list of things that i liked and disliked about the car so far. I know some things that are still in development but this is how it is so far. This is my first electric vehicle but I left most aspects of it being electric out of the list.
I'm on 1.7 version have the car for over a month now, I'm really happy with it and so far had no major problems with it and haven't yet returned to the dealer once.

Loved:

- One Pedal Driving, it’s amazing, especially on stop-and-go traffic.

- It is both the fastest and slowest car I've ever had. Being able to drive at 0,25km/h and suddenly getting to 180km/h is awesome.

- Electric child lock. Having one button on the car where it not only disable the rear windows buttons but also locks the door from opening from the inside is amazing. No more guests getting locked inside your car because you forgot to flip the switch on the door.

- Maintenance. It’s my first full electric car, and only having to service the car on the dealer once every 30.000km is great.

- Frunk. It’s a great extra space on the front of the car where I’m storing the charging cable and other car related things that I don’t use everyday.

- Over here there are no government incentives to buying an all electric car. But you don't have to pay a tax of 3.5% of the car value every year, which all other cars have, including ICE ones.

Liked:

- Having a map on the driver display, its great to have as you leave other apps on the infotainment display. But would be better if you could have Waze instead of gmaps on it. Would be nice to have the song info on it.

- Driving support systems. It’s a great system that really help you on long trips or stop-and-go traffic. Little tip: instead of pressing the accelerator you can use the restart button to get your car going again after you stopped on the traffic.

- Being able to remote start the climate control and make a schedule for it is great, especially on hot climate like I have.

- Suspension. It is very comfortable, I drive trough a lot of gravel roads and asphalt with holes and doesn’t feel them as much as other cars. Also, I was scared that the car wouldn’t be very stable on curves, but it’s not the case

- The car came with a charger that the dealer had installed on my home. It doesn’t have Wi-Fi capabilities but works just fine to charge at 7,5KW.

- Driver’s seat. It’s very comfortable, also being able to expand the seat cushion is great.

- Seats Fabric. Touching this ECO leather is very nice, it doesn’t make you sweat like normal leather and I really like the look of it. My only concern is how long it will be able to withstand constant use.

Neutral:

- Autonomy. In long trips I’m able to get to 300-350km on a full charge. It’s not great but not terrible, I tend to travel around 110-130km/h and that’s what I’m getting.

- Had some trouble to get my car license plate as we need to have a picture of the motor to get the documents. It’s more of a problem with the government system than the car but it still is troublesome.

Disliked:

- Visibility on side window, the column between doors is a bit too thick and get on the way when looking to the sides.

- The black piano on the center of the car is great to look at, but will get a lot of scratches as time goes by.

- Infotainment. As others have said, there are a lot of issues with it, still lack a lot of things and right now I’m really looking forward on using android auto/carplay.

- Volvo car app. I Know it’s still in development, but it lacks a lot of things that it already had (maps locating your car, etc.) Also, it took a while to get it to work normally on my phone.

- Not being able to have a spare tire. The spare tire accessory from the ICE xc40 does not fit the p8 and I’m not a fan of having to use the TMK…

- Trunk not being completely flat. The only purpose of those holes on the sides of the trunk is to get dirty and having to use a carpet on the trunk just to cover them is stupid…

- Lane Assistance. Most of the time I find myself fighting with the steering wheel. Enabling and disabling it is a bit troublesome as you must navigate the infotainment system. Would be great to have a button to enable/disable it.

- Backrest on the rear seats. Not being able to raise them to pass the Isofix system from my kids’ seat is troublesome. I need to squish the “belt” trough it to be able to use the mounting point behind the rear seat.

- Lack of an actual place to store my sunglasses.

- The charging cable that came with the car is limited to 16A and only works on 220V. Most of the plugs I have around are 110V so it is a bit limited on where I can charge the car.

- I’m having trouble to find a towbar compatible with the P8 since the one from the ICE XC40 are not compatible and volvo accessories will not sell them over here…

Hated:

- Spotify App: It’s very limited, you can’t add songs to your playlists, it’s not integrated with the others spotify players (you can’t select a song on your phone and continue playing it on the car), and worst of all, you don’t have offline playlists, 3G signal in my area is a bit lacking and I find myself unable to play songs because of it.

- Auto Break when reversing. It’s awful, got scared a lot of times thinking I had crashed my car only to find out there was nothing behind. You can disable it but only temporarily, and I would love to have an option to have it permanently disabled.

- There are some details on the front and the back of the car bumpers that are painted instead of the normal black bumper. It will have a lot of scratches and it doesn’t make a lot of difference visually.

Desires:

- Would love to be able to close and open the car windows via Volvo Cars App.

- Have more options of apps on the infotainment system (Really miss having plugshare and waze on it)

- Being able to download songs/playlists to play offline on spotify.

- Being able to open the car windows while holding the car handle the same way that you can close them all.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
- The charging cable that came with the car is limited to 16A and only works on 220V. Most of the plugs I have around are 110V so it is a bit limited on where I can charge the car.
Check again. You should be able to charge way more than 16A at 240V. The charger comes with adapter for 120V. Check the car.

· Registered
44 Posts
I HATE the rear auto brake feature. It locks up on me all the time if I forget to turn it off when I back into our garage. Super annoying. I want to be able to turn it off and it stay off.
Agree, this is a terrible feature as it stands. Other cars (like the Bolt) already support geofencing for L1 charging amperage. If RAB is going to go off with 1-2 feet of clearance, they really need to copy that and allow disabling it "at home".

· Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,171 Posts
Lane Assistance. Most of the time I find myself fighting with the steering wheel. Enabling and disabling it is a bit troublesome as you must navigate the infotainment system. Would be great to have a button to enable/disable it.
Is it possible to disable it using a voice command? One would hope a benefit of AAOS would be using voice commands for various settings rather than going through menus on a screen.

· Registered
448 Posts
Agree with you on the sunglass holder problem (come on, every car I've owned for the last 20 years has that). Also it might not be on your list, but the long-delayed CarPlay implementation is also on the "hate" list for me.

I'm not sure where you're located, but the default charging cable in the US comes with two interchangeable ends -- 110V and 240V, and the 240V says it's 40A (I've not actually used that one yet).

· Registered
514 Posts
Agree, this is a terrible feature as it stands. Other cars (like the Bolt) already support geofencing for L1 charging amperage. If RAB is going to go off with 1-2 feet of clearance, they really need to copy that and allow disabling it "at home".
Tesla has features you can disable when you are “home”, so I wish Volvo would do the same with this feature. The first time it activated in my wife’s XC40, I almost had a heart attack. Back into our garage I definitely get within 2’ of the walls and it goes off from the mat I have on the garage floor too. Just annoying when parking in our garage.

· Registered
784 Posts
Agree with you on the sunglass holder problem (come on, every car I've owned for the last 20 years has that). Also it might not be on your list, but the long-delayed CarPlay implementation is also on the "hate" list for me.

I'm not sure where you're located, but the default charging cable in the US comes with two interchangeable ends -- 110V and 240V, and the 240V says it's 40A (I've not actually used that one yet).
You can get a sunglass holder as an accessory - it replaced the grab handle above the driver door.

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,191 Posts
Is it possible to disable it using a voice command? One would hope a benefit of AAOS would be using voice commands for various settings rather than going through menus on a screen.
Nope - tried this:

“Hey Google, disable Lane Keeping Aid” results in “Sorry I don’t understand “.

“Hey Google, disable Lane Assistance” - Google reads you a FAQ page from some random Honda owners manual”.

In general I think they try to avoid Google voice commands actually being able to affect driving behavior. It works for comfort ir entertainment stuff just fine, though.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Over here it came with a IEC 309-2 plug, the plug itself is limited to 16A, that is why I think they limited it this way... Its even worse cause we have a 20A plug that you can find in every location, so why not use it?

The carplay implementation is something that I'm a bit scared tbh. I have no idea how they will implement it with all the car systems and I'm afraid they will screw it up.. So no high expectations here..

· Registered
448 Posts
You can get a sunglass holder as an accessory - it replaced the grab handle above the driver door.
I saw that, but I also see it's explicitly stated not to use it on vehicles with the pano roof. And, if it's like the one in my early-2000s VW, it's probably too shallow for my Ray-Ban's anyhow.

· Registered
448 Posts
I put my sunglasses next to the wireless charging pad. May not work if you have Jackie-O sunglasses 😎
That's where I've been keeping mine. I just prefer them out of sight... really would rather avoid anything that draws attention to those who would break in for a free pair of nice sunglasses.

· Registered
448 Posts
Over here it came with a IEC 309-2 plug, the plug itself is limited to 16A, that is why I think they limited it this way... Its even worse cause we have a 20A plug that you can find in every location, so why not use it?
I see. In the US they come with the standard 110V NEMA 5-15 end as well as the 240V NEMA 14-50 end, which I believe is allowed on up to 50A circuits (40A steady current). You can remove/swap the two ends, depending on what current is available at your location... it's handy when you're visiting others who may or may not have higher power available.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.