Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My love/hate relationship with my 21 XC40 Recharge is about coming to an head. Those of you following my experiences will know I have a 21 XC40 P8 in Bursting Blue that I got late May 2021. Within about a month the issues started. Phantom keys, brake issues and IHU issues. rear brake pads and rotors replaced numerous time, IHU replaced and car had all keys removed then reprogramed. I have never been able to get Volvo Cars app to pair. I finally had Volvo put ceramic pads on the rears to resolve the rear brake issues. The connectivity and pairing issues still abound. There are days the LTE shows fine, but Google assistant does not work (even after 10+ miles and 30 minutes of driving) and the only fix is a reboot.

I will say the dealer and Volvo have ben fantastic. Volvo has been extremely generous in compensating me for my inconveniences.

My wife and I really love our XC40s (P8 and T5). We love them so much we sold her T5 for a nice profit after 7 months and got a 22 Recharge in Red. What that car has shown me is how the Recharge is supposed to work. Granted it does not have a lot of miles on it yet, but we set up both profiles and paired both phones with Volvo Cars in minutes. Sure I may at some point face the dreaded LTE issues, but time will tell.

We finally decided to factory reset the car and see if things get any better, well they did not. After being out of service 39 days in 6 months we have decided that is it. I have had lemon law paperwork prepped for some time and just update it after each service visit. I consulted 2 lemon law attorneys who is eager to take my case (lemon law cases are paid by manufacturer if successful so a lawyer will not want one unless they are sure they can win).

Because Volvo has been so good to me I reached out to the reginal rep and explained we are down fighting with this car. I offered them the courtesy of working a path forward before I file since they have been so good to me and had actually offered to swap the car before. I have had a C40 on order for 2 months now as a backup plan since I was never convinced they would resolve all these issues before I got frustrated. The C40 is due to build in early January with a February delivery date.

I told Volvo I will entertain either direct swap of the C40 or they can buy back my XC40 and I will buy the C40. My preference would be the direct swap, but I will let them propose what works best. Should they not be willing to do either I will engage the attorney and file the the paperwork, but this 21 Blue P8 is eventually going to be gone. It is a shame as we love Bursting Blue and I would have taken a replacement XC40 in BB even over the C40, but the current XC40 colors do not appeal to us other than Red, which we already have.

To be honest, if Volvo had not been so accommodating there is no way we would have bought another nor would I entertain a replacement for mine, I would have taken the money and ran no matter how much I like the car. Customer service has retained our business and earned them additional business. I had ordered an extra set of ceramic pads just in case I go the C40 path and had a set installed on the 22 we picked up 2 weeks ago before we took it home. At this point it is ion Volvo's hands and I should hear something in a few days, if not easy to file for repurchase and move on.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
Car cost lots of money. No one should have all these problems at once. I think you did well swapping for C40.
Meanwhile my LTE is working and Google assistant is still stuck with UK voice which causing delay but it is working. Voice should not matter anyway. Interestingly enough it is working fine on my wife profile. Still long way towards software stability.

· Registered
549 Posts
If they truly provide a direct path from XC40 -> C40 as a swap, that’d be the way to go, I’d think. Since you clearly still love the platform, the brand, and the car…. And with any luck the C40 will be better in overall experience, build, etc. Plus the forums would miss you, if you left. Though I suppose even if the blue car gets bought back, you still have the red one LOL

· Registered
19 Posts
My love/hate relationship with my 21 XC40 Recharge is about coming to an head. Those of you following my experiences will know I have a 21 XC40 P8 in Bursting Blue that I got late May 2021. Within about a month the issues started. Phantom keys, brake issues and IHU issues. rear brake pads and rotors replaced numerous time, IHU replaced and car had all keys removed then reprogramed. I have never been able to get Volvo Cars app to pair. I finally had Volvo put ceramic pads on the rears to resolve the rear brake issues. The connectivity and pairing issues still abound. There are days the LTE shows fine, but Google assistant does not work (even after 10+ miles and 30 minutes of driving) and the only fix is a reboot.

I will say the dealer and Volvo have ben fantastic. Volvo has been extremely generous in compensating me for my inconveniences.

My wife and I really love our XC40s (P8 and T5). We love them so much we sold her T5 for a nice profit after 7 months and got a 22 Recharge in Red. What that car has shown me is how the Recharge is supposed to work. Granted it does not have a lot of miles on it yet, but we set up both profiles and paired both phones with Volvo Cars in minutes. Sure I may at some point face the dreaded LTE issues, but time will tell.

We finally decided to factory reset the car and see if things get any better, well they did not. After being out of service 39 days in 6 months we have decided that is it. I have had lemon law paperwork prepped for some time and just update it after each service visit. I consulted 2 lemon law attorneys who is eager to take my case (lemon law cases are paid by manufacturer if successful so a lawyer will not want one unless they are sure they can win).

Because Volvo has been so good to me I reached out to the reginal rep and explained we are down fighting with this car. I offered them the courtesy of working a path forward before I file since they have been so good to me and had actually offered to swap the car before. I have had a C40 on order for 2 months now as a backup plan since I was never convinced they would resolve all these issues before I got frustrated. The C40 is due to build in early January with a February delivery date.

I told Volvo I will entertain either direct swap of the C40 or they can buy back my XC40 and I will buy the C40. My preference would be the direct swap, but I will let them propose what works best. Should they not be willing to do either I will engage the attorney and file the the paperwork, but this 21 Blue P8 is eventually going to be gone. It is a shame as we love Bursting Blue and I would have taken a replacement XC40 in BB even over the C40, but the current XC40 colors do not appeal to us other than Red, which we already have.

To be honest, if Volvo had not been so accommodating there is no way we would have bought another nor would I entertain a replacement for mine, I would have taken the money and ran no matter how much I like the car. Customer service has retained our business and earned them additional business. I had ordered an extra set of ceramic pads just in case I go the C40 path and had a set installed on the 22 we picked up 2 weeks ago before we took it home. At this point it is ion Volvo's hands and I should hear something in a few days, if not easy to file for repurchase and move on.
I'm right behind you on this one. I have had my XC40 Recharge for 5 months and its been serviced for 39 days (IHU replacement, software issues, faulty battery cells). I consulted a lemon law lawyer and will proceed to file a suit.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
H
I'm right behind you on this one. I have had my XC40 Recharge for 5 months and its been serviced for 39 days (IHU replacement, software issues, faulty battery cells). I consulted a lemon law lawyer and will proceed to file a suit.
How engaged has Volvo been? Do you want it replaced or bought back? Volvo has been very good to me, let’s see if they swap mine cleanly for the C40.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Latest update. Seems the Volvo rep as gone MIA. I have tried to reach him and chatted with dealer who was going to try and reach him as well. I gave them until end of today to provide a formal path forward otherwise I file. I have the lawyer perped and ready to go along with all the paperwork. It is begining to look like this will become official tomorrow.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Volvo comes through with like 3 hours to spare. I have an email from Volvo stating when my C40 arrive they will provide "trade assistance", which essentially means swapped. I guess from a financial perspective the dealer takes mine on trade, Volvo pays them the difference and I get a new car no out of pocket. I am confirming that my financing stays in place as there is good possibility interest rates are rising early 2022. Now just the waiting game on the C40. Curious what they do with my car, I told them if they flash it from scratch (probably will fix the Volvo Cars app issue) and check the HVAC charging they will probably fix it, but that I am done with the back and forth. Also curious if the new P8 will have the same LTE issues the 21 did. So far (again limited miles) the 22 has been very solid.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think he was just busy. Ironically they had done this for someone else on this forum form another local dealer here months ago. I have never seen a car maker this eager to help. Many people with these problems would swear off a brand after this, but we have been so thrilled with the service manager and the rep that we went and bought a second one.

· Registered
784 Posts
Just heard back from a friend of mine who lives on Vancouver Island BC Canada - lives in a rather affluent area - I was mentioning to him about our Recharge and that in the first 9 months of ownership we have had very few issues - with the A/C one taking about 3 dealer visits to get diagnosed and fixed. He shared the following with me: "Neighbour across the street bought an E-mustang this summer. It has brake issues and the flat deck truck has picked it up a couple times. Apparently the pads chip off. The fix is bigger brakes and pads which they don’t have yet so they keep putting the old style back on and they keep chipping. Heard him grinding down the street again 2 days ago. They have a BMW electric as well. Another neighbour has a mild MB hybrid. The battery went down on a trip to AB and he waited for 2 wks for a replacement. A week ago it went down again, same battery but again they had just put in the old technology to get him home. And yet another neighbour has been waiting 8 months for his MB. In the summer they told him 3 weeks, He showed me 5 emails saying 3 weeks. As a former judge he finally had enough and they gave him a loaner, the car when it comes at cost, about $6 Gs off. Its still in Germany and they won’t say why so not a chip issue, suspect battery issue. A Tesla neighbour told me he traded his model X on a new BMW all electric an iX due to a whole number of issues he had with the Tesla." So as you can see this is a small sample in a small neighbourhood regarding what the electric car competitiors are dealing with.

· Registered
44 Posts
Just heard back from a friend of mine who lives on Vancouver Island BC Canada - lives in a rather affluent area - I was mentioning to him about our Recharge and that in the first 9 months of ownership we have had very few issues - with the A/C one taking about 3 dealer visits to get diagnosed and fixed. He shared the following with me: "Neighbour across the street bought an E-mustang this summer. It has brake issues and the flat deck truck has picked it up a couple times. Apparently the pads chip off. The fix is bigger brakes and pads which they don’t have yet so they keep putting the old style back on and they keep chipping. Heard him grinding down the street again 2 days ago. They have a BMW electric as well. Another neighbour has a mild MB hybrid. The battery went down on a trip to AB and he waited for 2 wks for a replacement. A week ago it went down again, same battery but again they had just put in the old technology to get him home. And yet another neighbour has been waiting 8 months for his MB. In the summer they told him 3 weeks, He showed me 5 emails saying 3 weeks. As a former judge he finally had enough and they gave him a loaner, the car when it comes at cost, about $6 Gs off. Its still in Germany and they won’t say why so not a chip issue, suspect battery issue. A Tesla neighbour told me he traded his model X on a new BMW all electric an iX due to a whole number of issues he had with the Tesla." So as you can see this is a small sample in a small neighbourhood regarding what the electric car competitiors are dealing with.
Yikes, don’t move to that neighborhood! I have three full electrics in my stable alone, Tesla, Volvo and Nissan, and haven’t had any significant problems with any of them! I did have a BMW i3 for a while that was a bit problematic, but three out of four isn’t bad. And all the the problems with the BMW had to do with the optional gas engine mine carried around.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
Just heard back from a friend of mine who lives on Vancouver Island BC Canada - lives in a rather affluent area - I was mentioning to him about our Recharge and that in the first 9 months of ownership we have had very few issues - with the A/C one taking about 3 dealer visits to get diagnosed and fixed. He shared the following with me: "Neighbour across the street bought an E-mustang this summer. It has brake issues and the flat deck truck has picked it up a couple times. Apparently the pads chip off. The fix is bigger brakes and pads which they don’t have yet so they keep putting the old style back on and they keep chipping. Heard him grinding down the street again 2 days ago. They have a BMW electric as well. Another neighbour has a mild MB hybrid. The battery went down on a trip to AB and he waited for 2 wks for a replacement. A week ago it went down again, same battery but again they had just put in the old technology to get him home. And yet another neighbour has been waiting 8 months for his MB. In the summer they told him 3 weeks, He showed me 5 emails saying 3 weeks. As a former judge he finally had enough and they gave him a loaner, the car when it comes at cost, about $6 Gs off. Its still in Germany and they won’t say why so not a chip issue, suspect battery issue. A Tesla neighbor told me he traded his model X on a new BMW all electric an iX due to a whole number of issues he had with the Tesla." So as you can see this is a small sample in a small neighbourhood regarding what the electric car competitiors are dealing with.
OMG. Thanks for sharing. My neighbor has Mach-E. Did not complained but I did not ask if he ever had a problems. I was reading that Rivian is going through some issues with their truck but nothing specific.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Awesome reply. I have been wondering how the other evs where doing. Seems like we are all in the same boat.

Curious if there has been any change in ice quality this year as well.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Makes me curious about Toyota. The just unveils a loose sampling of prototypes, I suspect because everyone has been “where the heck if Toyota” in this since they basically cornered the hybrid market. They tend to really make sure something is well baked before releasing it as to not tarnish their reputation. I can’t wait to see if they have the same issues as everyone else.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice to have some perspective. Mine has been solid despite some connectivity issues. The connectivity issues however have seemed much more stable since 1.8.
I am nervous to try 1.8 on the 22 since other than random connectivity (mostly BT) it is good. Afraid to see what issues they introduce in 1.8. I may try it on the 21 first when it gets the notification.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bet they do. I wonder had Volvo stuck with Sensus if they would have had so many issues and save AAOS for the true pure EV platform.

· Registered
5 Posts
Thanks He for your documented journey so far...I await the final resolution. We are feeling the same way about the XC40 Recharge. Dealer has been pathetic for the most part from initially trying to buy the car to understanding charging. It is almost as if Volvo shipped a bunch of cars to them and they don't want to sell them or deal with them. A few issues with first charge and no response from dealer service but once "software updated" we have been good to go.

After taking delivery it appears that the package we thought we ordered did not come with the sound system (SS) we wanted. Yes we should have made that claim at delivery but like I said they were as lost as my wife was when she picked it up...Dealer couldn't even initially pair the phone and walked away from it, they did the same thing with the SS inquiry initially. Our point is not that we have such a significant impact of not having the higher end SS, the point is the sales process is completely on the owner at this point, via the Volvo web site that does not confirm in all of my testing and scenarios the trim level and package that you ultimately order. Yes, its trendy to go online and build your EV and have it shipped to the dealer etc. but that experience has to be bullet proof if you are going to have satisfied customers and it should be optional if you already have dealership footprints across the country. I wont rant any more on that process or the number of random sales calls we received after we placed the initial order.

We escalated to the dealer on the SS, nothing. Not even a reply phone call or email.
We escalated with Corp Volvo when they asked how our experience was with delivery. This initiated a response from the dealer.

Currently dealer has come back and said, reorder the car with what you want on it ($500 deposit), and Volvo corporation will "swap" it out. I am interested on how this will work. From a sales tax perspective in our state the difference should be small given we will "trade" the 3 mo. old EV back to the dealer. However given our delivery estimated in Jan 22, the state is changing the lic. tax so our 5 yr. cost of lic. (tags) will go from $90 over 5 years for the 2021 purchase year to $1800 for the 22 year (better than 2023 when all of the discounts will expire).

Just sharing my experience, appreciate the information I have found in the forum on this topic.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly the Harmon Kardon SS is not overly impressive.

I am still awaiting how the swap for me will work as well. Volvo technically calls it "Trade Assistance". I assume what happened is the deal takes the existing car as a trade toward the new one and Volvo compensates the dealer the difference to the new car. I am eager to figure out if that means another tax incentive in 22 when my C40 arrive. A lot will depend on if the financing carries over. If the dealer pays off my load and I get a new load that clearly should qualify as a new buy and qualify, if my loan carries over then I suspect no tax credit. Considering interest rates are headed up in early 22 I may be fine just doing the swap.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts