Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

first of all thanks to whomever made this forum and it's members, I just discovered it while looking for a solution to my issue.

So I was looking to purchase a 2021 XC40 R design with the 360 camera and the BLIS system. My local dealer didn't have one on the lot but could get one from the warehouse, the only thing was that the car came with the optional 21" rims. I told them that I didn't want the larger rims and they said that they could put the standard R design rims on it for me. They even sent me a photo of a similar R design with the standard R design rims. I had to put down a deposit in order for them to retrieve the car.

On Friday the dealer tells me that my car is there and sends me a picture of it however it has the base model Momentum rims on it. So I write back and tell him that those aren't the rims that we had agreed upon and he proceeded to tell me that those rims do come with the R design as standard also (which I believe is BS). He then said that if I wanted the other rims (the real standard R design rims) then I would have to pay an extra $1000. We went back and forth (I showed him a screen shot of the text message showing the photo of the rims that he said the car would come with) but basically got nowhere with him. I got so **** frustrated with him yesterday that I told him to give me my money back.

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing for sure what the 2021 XC40 R design rims are supposed to look like because Volvo doesn't seem to have updated their brochure for 2021 yet.

So my question for you guys is, what would you do? My next closest dealer is 3 hours away and I'd really not have to go there.

I believe that the standard r design rims for 2021 look the same as the 2020's except that they are 20" now, is that correct?

How many rims options are there for the 2021 R design?

Has anyone had any success with Volvo headquarters when filing dealer complaints?

Sorry for the long ranty post (my first) but don't know where else to turn.

Cheers,
Neil.

·
Registered
2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
44 Posts
in the US market we have 4 XC40s at our office that we use that are 2021 for trial.
Below this is the standard 19s that come on the R-Design
Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 3.07.56 PM.png

and below are upgraded 20s R-Design for $800 USD
ddb9874ffff30de52907e3e7b63661f0x.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in the US market we have 4 XC40s at our office that we use that are 2021 for trial.
Below this is the standard 19s that come on the R-Design
View attachment 516

and below are upgraded 20s R-Design for $800 USD
View attachment 514
Thanks for your reply. I'm in Mexico and as of yesterday the Mexican website only showed the 2020 versions and the standard ones looked like the ones that that you show as 20 inch but they were listed as 19". As of today however the build page is under construction so hopefully they are updating to show the 2021s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believed the R-Design standard is 19". I upgraded mine to 20" and it costs $800.
View attachment 515
Thanks for this, I really like the 20" rims. I'm in Mexico and for the 2020 model r design the standard rims were 19 inch but looked like the 2021 20" rims. The build page on the website is under construction today so hopefully it's being updated to show 2021 options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The are the rims that the dealer says are standard for the r design.

This is the photo that the sent me before I put down the deposit when I asked him what rims were standard.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The are the rims that the dealer says are standard for the r design. View attachment 517

This is the photo that the sent me before I put down the deposit when I asked him what rims were standard.
View attachment 518
First photo is upgraded 19s for the Momentum trim. the 2nd is upgraded 20s for the R-Design. But this is a XC40 Recharge. I don't have a Recharge at my office just 1 XC40 Recharge Pure Electric so i wouldn't know if Mexico offers different wheels on a Recharge XC40

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good morning, just to give you an update.

The dealer was able to find the rims that I was expecting (in 19") as promised, so all is good. Looking forward to driving this bad boy.

Thanks to you folks for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update #2 in case anyone is interested.

So yesterday I got a photo of the rims and as it turns out they are the 19 inch rim (first photo by Szeb). I think the issue here is that the dealer still doesn't have any brochures (website isn't updated) for the 2021 and there was confusion on their end as to what exactly the 19 inch rims looked like. Anyways I'm paying the extra to get the 20" rims as I like them much better.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update #2 in case anyone is interested.

So yesterday I got a photo of the rims and as it turns out they are the 19 inch rim (first photo by Szeb). I think the issue here is that the dealer still doesn't have any brochures (website isn't updated) for the 2021 and there was confusion on their end as to what exactly the 19 inch rims looked like. Anyways I'm paying the extra to get the 20" rims as I like them much better.

Have a great day!
Yeah the 20s are a lot better. I also noticed Yesterday that between the 2020 and the 2021s that the seats for North America was all used for Canada, Mexico and United States. Now they are split and not grouped into the same "NA" group. the only difference i can tell is some Mexico seats are shipping without the storage bin under the driver seat and some are. Is that an upgrade or a package you need to add now to get the storage bin under your driver side seat now for Mexico?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the 20s are a lot better. I also noticed Yesterday that between the 2020 and the 2021s that the seats for North America was all used for Canada, Mexico and United States. Now they are split and not grouped into the same "NA" group. the only difference i can tell is some Mexico seats are shipping without the storage bin under the driver seat and some are. Is that an upgrade or a package you need to add now to get the storage bin under your driver side seat now for Mexico?
The offered me the 21" at the same cost as the 20"s which was a really good deal but I'm really concerned about the potholes ruining them or the tires (I just had to replace a tire on my 2017 V40 a few months ago for this reason). For the 2021's the dealer is kind of in the dark as to what options are available as they don't have any info from Volvo (pretty sad on Volvo's part considering they are now selling 2021's). From what I found online it seems like the underseat storage is going away however not until week 48.

I'm hoping to get the car tomorrow or Saturday so I'll update you when I know.

Cheers.
Neil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The XC40 was delivered to me last evening and I can confirm that it has the perforated leather seat inserts, perforated leather steering wheel, under seat storage bin, locking and air conditioned glove box and folding trunk floor. It also included the waterproof key. The one big disappointment for me is that it doesn't have the park in feature, I was really hoping for it.

The XC40 sure is beautiful!

Cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was shopping for a 2020 XC40 R-Design last fall and wanted the standard 19" wheels because they should wear better, be less susceptible to pothole damage and curb scraping and be better for occasional off-road use. I could only find the car with 20" wheels. I was lucky enough to find a dealer who had a car on order that hadn't been built yet. He changed his order to include the 19" wheels. It took 3 months, but I got exactly what I wanted (in bursting blue).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts