Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple of days my VOC app has shown when doors are locked/unlocked and AC on/off but no SOC and I could not unlock car or start AC with app but meanwhile car worked great including Google maps etc. So I rebooted modem using IHU bottom button since defroster doesn't work for me and instantly my VOC app and SOC works including unlocking doors and starting AC.
I also noticed that my volvo acct had disappeared and had to be reinserted. So did the modem quit because my volvo acct disappeared or the other way around? This has happened to me 3 or 4 times now for the 2 months that I've had the car. I'm surprised how subtle the car is about losing the modem, no warning comes up!
Since I basically always have my personal hotspot on it is now obvious that the car will not use that for data but does use it for little things like car is locked/unlock or AC on/off but it will not let you unlock car from app or start AC, thankfully I didn't leave keys in car.
Still peeved it took me a couple days to even notice modem was down. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My IHU was acting up today, very laggy to touch input, Spotify kept stalling and data signal was strong. Rebooted IHU and all good. I wonder if the IHU reboot reboots the modem as well? Welcome to Android.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry, but it is not an Android issue. Tesla and Ford have several articles on the need to perform a modem reboot on the first signs of any software issue.

All modems perform better with occasional reboots.

"
Electronics are not built to constantly be running at all times, and power cycling (a fancy way of saying unplugging the power cord) helps with most issues. Like other electronics, one of the biggest reasons you may benefit from rebooting your modem is because when you leave your modem on for too long, it will tend to stop performing at its best after a while. Rebooting your modem can fix Internet connection problems, improve slow moving connections and resolve wireless issues, which also affect your Digital TV service that is being transmitted over an internet connection. By unplugging the power cord from the back of the modem you are giving it the breather it needs.
Another reason is that when your modem is on all day, every day, it is slowly desynchronizing from the Internet Service Provider (ISP). This desynchronization causes the packets you are sending and receiving to become corrupt, requiring them to be re-sent, lowering your speed."

The Volvo modem is never powered off. As such, like any modem, an occasional reboot will restore problems with the function.

Having a computer in the car with a modem requires an occasional reset.

Even Apple phones need to be powered off and turned on to allow for a complete reset and reconnection to the network,

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Electronics are designed for their specs and many are on 7x24x365 without issues. **** I have been in IT 37+ years and have had servers running 1-2 years without a reboot. Having to reboot periodically to clear out issues is a software issue.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My IHU was acting up today, very laggy to touch input, Spotify kept stalling and data signal was strong. Rebooted IHU and all good. I wonder if the IHU reboot reboots the modem as well? Welcome to Android.
My modem will not reboot using the defrost button, after 30-45 secs the only thing that happens is the defroster comes on when I release the button. When I reboot the IHU the 1st thing that turns off is the LTE and next the SOS button lights up then off and the modem definitely does reboot. I'm on the 2nd update I believe where the pilot assist was moved to IHU and only 2 screens.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My modem will not reboot using the defrost button, after 30-45 secs the only thing that happens is the defroster comes on when I release the button.
defroster button trick also does not seem todo anything on our car either.

ours has been getting by with reboots every couple days (although obviously that suggests something isn’t right). But we have had an issue where something goes to “deep sleep” and required a dealership visit to get connectivity up and running again.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have the late June software and a new IHU and the front defrost button works fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts