Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
does anyone know any aftermarket mudflaps that fits our recharge model?
The genuine Volvo ones aren’t that expensive - why not buy them? The front ones on the EV version are different due to the shape of the sill trim, so I doubt any aftermarket XC40 front ones would fit right unless they’re specifically made for the EV version. Rears are same for EV and non-EV version.

· Registered
514 Posts
If you check online then you can get them much cheaper than the dealer. I found several places for $45-50 per axle plus shipping, so around $100-120 total for the set.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Has anyone noticed any range differences with them installed? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a small hit.

No way that is noticeable without strict scientifically controlled testing environment, it is an impact at all. The jump for 19 to 20 inches wheels is a far bigger impact.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge - Onyx black
23 Posts
thanks all, while $200 may not seem much, the wife acceptance factor is very low. will keep waiting for aftermarket.
Haha, that can be a factor! My wife and I view it as part of protecting our "investment" that is this already expensive vehicle - paint chipping from thrown stones, corrosion from road salt, diminished appearance from dirt/water etc.

Looks to be about $60 USD per axle (a bit more expensive here in Canada, listed for $75 but discounted to $65)
32270682 - Mud Flaps - Front (Pure Electric Vehicle). Mud Flaps - Genuine Volvo Accessory
32321857 - Mud Flaps Rear (Pure Electric Vehicle). Mud Flaps - Genuine Volvo Accessory

I ordered them online, picked up from the dealer and put them on myself. It's very straight forward if you have or can borrow a socket set, 8 screws for the front and 6 for the rear, but you will probably also need to buy a T25 torx bit.

Mudflaps, front - XC40 2021 P8 (Pure electric) - Volvo Cars Accessories
Mudflaps, rear - XC40 2021 P8 (Pure electric) - Volvo Cars Accessories

Edit: oh yeah, heads up - depending on the assembled depth of your ratchet & bit, clearance on the rear can be a bit tight, but an adjustable wrench or visegrip pliers on the bit solves this pretty easily.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Shocked the WAF play in this, confiding the black cladding around wheel wells and sills, and rear bumper. On this car they look like they belong. Besides when you don’t have all the gunk that kicks up on the side of the car, money we’ll spent. The thing that spoiled my and I enjoy on this car is the plastic cladding. It is tastefully done (clearly a cost sitting move) but it works well and makes keeping the car clean a breeze. I was intrigued by the Q4, but has painted wheel wells and sill the XC40 has me spoiled.

· Registered
514 Posts
Shocked the WAF play in this, confiding the black cladding around wheel wells and sills, and rear bumper. On this car they look like they belong. Besides when you don’t have all the gunk that kicks up on the side of the car, money we’ll spent. The thing that spoiled my and I enjoy on this car is the plastic cladding. It is tastefully done (clearly a cost sitting move) but it works well and makes keeping the car clean a breeze. I was intrigued by the Q4, but has painted wheel wells and sill the XC40 has me spoiled.
I used to hate the plastic cladding, but I have grown to love it. It keeps rock chips/damage to a minimum on the side of the vehicle. I have the rockers covered in PPF on my model 3 and it’s still taking a little paint damage even with the PPF.

· Registered
335 Posts
thanks all, while $200 may not seem much, the wife acceptance factor is very low. will keep waiting for aftermarket.
I initially purchased an aftermarket mud guard. They were about 1/2 the price of the OEM Volvo flaps. Despite being sold as appropriate for the XC40 recharge, they didn't fit the front wheel well. Apparently, there is a subtle difference the protective underbody cladding that isn't present in the standard XC40. The added underbody protection prevents the flap from sitting flush without some cutting of the material.

I ended up buying the OEM Volvo flaps. In comparison, the after market flaps not only don't fit, but the color, thickness of the material, and construction rigidity is inferior.

I tossed the aftermarket flaps.

Go with the OEM flaps.

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
Can someone explain why there would be a range difference? I've been trying to wrap my head around why that got brought up. It can't be weight, aero?

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Can someone explain why there would be a range difference? I've been trying to wrap my head around why that got brought up. It can't be weight, aero?

I am assuming becasue it creates additional air drag, but there si no way to provide that oen way or the other without extreme scientifically controlled settings. And actually adding or removing a passenger probably has more impact than the mudguards. Until tamps dropped we were easily getting ~32kWh/100miles and the car always showed a range of 200-210 with 90% charge and has remained very consistent. Temps dropped into the 40s here lately and this last week we were around 35.5kWh/100 miles. I tend to use the range optimizer while she does not.

· Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,171 Posts
There is some debate in Tesla and Prius forums regarding how much the additional drag can affect range. The Volvo OEMs look pretty understated, though, so hopefully it's not a significant loss. Maybe I will add that to my build order.

· Registered
514 Posts
There is some debate in Tesla and Prius forums regarding how much the additional drag can affect range. The Volvo OEMs look pretty understated, though, so hopefully it's not a significant loss. Maybe I will add that to my build order.
I just ordered a full set of OEM mud flaps for ~$114 including tax and shipping.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.