Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I've had my XC40 Recharge P8 for about 2 weeks now and I love it. Its my first EV ever! Not having to pay for gas is the best part. However, today I had to drive to my place of work and was there for 10 mins, then drove back. It's exactly 18 miles there and back. I left my house with 90% and when I arrived home I was at 70% I'm not sure if this is good compared to everyone else or if this horrible. I'm not sure if there's a setting I should turn off or leave on or something I should look out for? I typically drive with the ac on low, I'm using the one pedal drive, I have the Harmon kardon surround enabled, I have the lane departure assist enabled, daytime running lights enabled, and rain sensing wipers enabled. I noticed on the way to my work place, I was at about 35 kWh (not sure I fully understand that part yet) and on my way home I was at 41 kWh. If anyone has suggestions on what I could do or if this is what I should expect

·
Registered
1 Posts
That seems like a high consumption, is it cold outside or did you shred it constantly ? 10% should give you approximately 15-20 miles depending on the conditions ands speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems like a high consumption, is it cold outside or did you shred it constantly ? 10% should give you approximately 15-20 miles depending on the conditions ands speed.

It really isn't that cold outside. As far as speed goes, I do drive between 70-80mph on the freeway

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Speed is one thing but did you accel hard to reach it? Did you do this over and over? I know I have :)

80mph is not an efficient speed. Much worse than 70 which is a lot worse than 60. Just the way air resistance goes. If the road was clear it would be bad enough but if you had to change velocity for slow cars and as above accelerated hard then your results are not massively surprising.

A further comment on speed. If your not paying attention to velocity it is so easy for that 80 to actually be 100. :) this car gets there so fast :)

Try the same journey once with a 55 mph speed cap.
Then perhaps again with 60 then 70 then 80 with a focus on not going over these. Would love to know your results citizen scientists :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
My husband burns about that much electricity on his commute that totals about 55 miles. He left the house today with 90% and got home with 69%.

When you accelerate, try to imagine there’s an egg behind the pedal that you’re trying not to burst.

Also be mindful how you brake. Whether you have one-pedal on or off, I believe the system uses regenerative breaking any time you’re decelerating at a rate of 0.3 g or less. So give yourself some extra space to the car in front of you, and when traffic ahead slows, see if you can just gently ease off and slow yourself gently. Any time you force the actual brake pads to engage, you’re throwing away momentum as heat.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My husband burns about that much electricity on his commute that totals about 55 miles. He left the house today with 90% and got home with 69%.

When you accelerate, try to imagine there’s an egg behind the pedal that you’re trying not to burst.

Also be mindful how you brake. Whether you have one-pedal on or off, I believe the system uses regenerative breaking any time you’re decelerating at a rate of 0.3 g or less. So give yourself some extra space to the car in front of you, and when traffic ahead slows, see if you can just gently ease off and slow yourself gently.
You can also see the regenerative energy amount on the dash. When the bar goes to the bottom I assume this is where real braking happens.

As long as you are not touching the brake pedal you are maximizing regenerative when using one pedal.

As 1more said you do have to plan ahead.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello everybody,

I've had my XC40 Recharge P8 for about 2 weeks now and I love it. Its my first EV ever! Not having to pay for gas is the best part. However, today I had to drive to my place of work and was there for 10 mins, then drove back. It's exactly 18 miles there and back. I left my house with 90% and when I arrived home I was at 70% I'm not sure if this is good compared to everyone else or if this horrible. I'm not sure if there's a setting I should turn off or leave on or something I should look out for? I typically drive with the ac on low, I'm using the one pedal drive, I have the Harmon kardon surround enabled, I have the lane departure assist enabled, daytime running lights enabled, and rain sensing wipers enabled. I noticed on the way to my work place, I was at about 35 kWh (not sure I fully understand that part yet) and on my way home I was at 41 kWh. If anyone has suggestions on what I could do or if this is what I should expect
I'm doing short runs around town here and it is warming up so the aircon is running everytime, when i hop in it cranks up hard to catch up unless I have set the parking climate on. My around town consumption is very high for this reason, buy hey the car is great!!! Why spend this much on the car if you cant enjoy it!!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts