Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I heard that Google Maps would provide navigation for the XC40 P8, I have been wondering what happens when we drive in places with no cellular coverage. I assume Google would pre-download the maps when we navigate to the destination, which is in an area with no cellular coverage. What happens if you try to navigate to a new destination when you are in an area with no coverage? Would the navigation be able to function without cellular coverage? Also, does anyone know which US cellular carrier is providing service to the P8 cars?

·
Registered
133 Posts
When last at the dealership I looked at the Google Maps menu. It looks like it works just like your phone. If you plan a route while you have service, the app will ask if it should download maps for that trip in case of areas with no connectivity. Further, when you have service you can download 'Offline Maps', which let's you pick the areas covered.

I'm only guessing, but I hope that Google also provides a base map so you don't get into areas where nothing is displayed. That would be different from how Google maps currently works on phones, but is a feature that is part of every other nav system installed in a car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ever since I heard that Google Maps would provide navigation for the XC40 P8, I have been wondering what happens when we drive in places with no cellular coverage. I assume Google would pre-download the maps when we navigate to the destination, which is in an area with no cellular coverage. What happens if you try to navigate to a new destination when you are in an area with no coverage? Would the navigation be able to function without cellular coverage? Also, does anyone know which US cellular carrier is providing service to the P8 cars?
Navigation utilizes GPS which is linked to the satellite system (the "shark fin" antenna in the top back). As long as you can see the sky, service is available.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The navigation function is supposed to utilize GPS data (coordinates) when the vehicle loses cell service. But we would need the cell signal service for real time traffic routing and guidance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
... we would need the cell signal service for real time traffic routing and guidance.
... and mapping data showing the roads and buildings. There is no mapping data in the GPS signal - only enough information for the car's GPS reciever to calculate your longitude, latitude and elevation.

FWIW, if you really want full navigation functionality without access to the internet, check out OsmAnd - Offline Street Maps and Navigation. Works under both Android and IOS, and maybe even Android Automotive, the version of Android in the XC40.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Typically GPS-based navigation systems maintain a map in the GPS unit itself and are not dependent on constant connection. They must download the maps regularly to stay current and may even use online maps normally, but if the cell service is not available, they should still have a fairly recent map. I've used my Garmin Nuvi for this many times and it works great, even with 10-year-old map data. It doesn't download maps data unless I pay for new maps and I've been too cheap because my cell phone is always current. I don't know exactly how the Google system works, but it should at least have current map data in the unit as of the date of purchase. I suspect it updates that automatically as part of Android auto but I can't guarantee that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
??? XC40 and most vehicle nav units don't even know cell phones exist. The maps exist in the nav system electronics. See Volvo XC40 updating map procedures.

Reactions: Watson58

·
Registered
133 Posts
XC40 and most vehicle nav units don't even know cell phones exist.
That may be true for piston XC40's with the Sensus infotainment system, but the Recharge P8 relies on Google Maps, and is a different beast.

From the 2021 Recharge P8 owner's manual:

"To help ensure access to maps in Google Maps even when the vehicle has a poor or no Internet connection, map data is saved automatically.
Maps automatically downloads maps based on the vehicle's current location and travel patterns. These maps can be used when the vehicle does not have an Internet connection to
  • provide map data to the vehicle's safety and navigation functions
  • provide access to Maps in areas with limited or no Internet connection.
A map area can also be selected manually and downloaded."

BTW, This is identical to how Google Maps behaves on cell phones.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Missed that little detail. I have '20 RDesign, so different device.

Doing a long trip in our VW Westphalia, knowing I was going to go dark along the way, I preloaded maps for Maps (used a TomTom GPS backed up by Google Maps after the earlier Garmin failed on another trip). I had a pretty good idea about the areas needed, and loaded enough to cover a lot of real estate, thinking the route planned isn't always the route taken.

The TomTom didn't fail (yea!), Maps was as clunky, slow, frustrating as usual, but it did have the needed maps. All it takes is a little advance planning.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The TomTom didn't fail (yea!), Maps was as clunky, slow, frustrating as usual, but it did have the needed maps. All it takes is a little advance planning.
The TomTom maps update app for our other EV, the Smart EQ has been down for months now and it cannot download updated maps - the problem is known to their tech support, who have been "trying" to fix it forever. Apart from that minor issue(!!), the wife likes their maps layout.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Our TomTom Is the stand-alone the motorcycle version (can't recall the model number or proper name). It does a number of things well, and some things not well at all. Overall, it's far more robust and reliable than the Garmin that came before it. And it means not having to deal with Garmin, never a fun experience.

Case on point - I did a motorcycle tour of the Alps in '17. I plotted and uploaded a route through St. Gotthard Pass (nice drive, BTW). The old route still exists and is something of a "rite of passage" - it's all paving blocks! The Garmin a) missed the uphill entrance, and tried to get me to turn onto every cow and goat path along the way. "Detours" included trying to send me into a Swiss military base. Grrr...

Bragging on myself...
("The good stuff" starts a ways in, past where I figure out the Garmin just knifed me - U-turns not recommended. The "Oh snap!" is around 07:00, the good stuff begins around 9:00, the really good stuff is about 1-2 minutes later. That's my Garmin in the console under the windscreen.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
We're talking about mapping data, not current GPS coordinates.
I don't understand your point. The map is downloaded locally. If you ever had to go to the Volvo site and download a map of a region onto a USB (because it is too big to do it via update) then you would realize that the software would upload the data and store it locally. The software simply bring the maps and building pictures into the display based on the GPS signal. So no, you don't need cellular info for navigating the map. You do need cellular data to get info on traffic jams and weather.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Under Google Maps, which ColoradoNative was talking about, Maps doesn't just need to know where to put the "you're here" dot. Maps looks ahead to where the vehicle's going and downloads mapping for the appropriate area. Go where there's no service, and Maps can't collect new map data. But... map data can be downloaded manually in advance of going dark. The map data is the same as is collected in real time. The downside is getting, and storing (typically) tens of megabyte files. Using cell service, the excess data can be replaced with whatever's going to be needed.

The only other loss is traffic info, of course. But ...um... if the phone's dark, traffic info may not matter all that much. Funny thing is, driving on I-10 in, literally, stretches of desert, cell connects were often stronger than I can get in my backyard. Go maybe twenty miles north or south of I-10, maybe not so good. ;)

USB uploads are one-time events. Dollars to doughnuts, most people probably don't know they can do it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find that the car knows where it (from GPS) is but periodically loses the map details (from Google) except really major landmarks. How often should you have to connect to the internet and download the complete map data?

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I first owned a Leaf, Nissan had an arrangement with Google Maps that allow you to look up a location on your desktop and send the location to the car. There was a link right on the Google Maps page for that. This was very handy for my hobby of geocaching, where the location was often a trailhead, not an address, and it would accept GPS coordinates instead. That stopped working after a few years when Nissan dropped the transmit-to-car function (VOC equivalent). For the Volvo I suppose I could read or type the coordinates into the car nav, but sending from the computer would be easier. There is also an app called What3Words that serves a similar purpose. It can identify any location down to a 10-ft square with three words. It's been in use in the UK and Commonwealth countries for some time, mainly with emergency services, and now LA County Sheriff is also using it. I read recently that it will be integrated into Google Maps. It would be handy not only for outdoor sites with no addresses, but also for things like "meet in the stadium parking lot" which could be hard to find without a more precise location. Has anyone heard about either of these technologies coming into the Volvo nav system, or know how to get the functionality (except with a separate GPS)? See The simplest way to talk about location for more on that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I drive our Recharge tonight (I usually drive our other car) and was surprised by how often the gauge cluster map was redrawing itself in big blocky squares with a lot of lag. This was in an area with full LTE coverage. Does this happen often?

·
Registered
220 Posts
[clip] Has anyone heard about either of these technologies coming into the Volvo nav system, or know how to get the functionality (except with a separate GPS)? See The simplest way to talk about location for more on that.
There is a free W3W app for Android. I checked and it is not available in the Volvo/Google Play app store, but I have it on my phone. I found that with my phone paired to bluetooth I can put in a W3W location or coordinates to that app and touch the navigate button, and voice commands through the car speakers will give directions without the need for fiddling with the phone or having a separate GPS (other than the phone).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
188 Posts
I was quite surprised at how small an area Google maps has downloaded, about a 40 mile square so I added a new map which covers most the places I see myself going to around 200 mile square. I was quite surprised how quickly it downloaded this, so I suspect it was from my wifi.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I drive our Recharge tonight (I usually drive our other car) and was surprised by how often the gauge cluster map was redrawing itself in big blocky squares with a lot of lag. This was in an area with full LTE coverage. Does this happen often?
Was this at the start of the journey? This can happen at the start when any gps as it is trying to lock down where you are. It has to lock on to enough satellites to calculate your position accurately. While it is doing this it will sometimes redraw where you are. If you are in a built up error (high rises) it might take longer.

if it was later and you were in a good sky vision place then maybe something Is going on with your system.

Our car did the parking cameras not available on spouse(2) today. Will see if they are back next time I drive :)

Normally though the gos screen is smooth an unblocky. I do miss my Garmin stand alone (have heard some of the Garmin embedded are not as good). Miss the picture of the exit :) helps sometimes.

good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts