Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate that the map needs to have WI-FI to show traffic. How do you get WI-FI while driving other than using your phone as a personal hotspot? The WI-FI connectivity doesn’t even stay in place after parking, even for a few minutes. Sometimes the password has to be inputted again. Big pain!!
I am just going to use Google Maps on my phone to look for traffic and WAZE for route guidance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hate that the map needs to have WI-FI to show traffic. How do you get WI-FI while driving other than using your phone as a personal hotspot? The WI-FI connectivity doesn’t even stay in place after parking, even for a few minutes. Sometimes the password has to be inputted again. Big pain!!
I am just going to use Google Maps on my phone to look for traffic and WAZE for route guidance.
Use Google navigation, even if you know where you’re going. That’s the only way I’ve gotten traffic information to appear.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The maps in the P8 get updated via the LTE internet connection built into the car. It also caches maps for the area you are driving around so that when you are in poor coverage areas it can still show. I have found since the 1.7 update the maps blank out for a few seconds every so often seems to be tied to map views cha being or updating.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
31 Posts
I get traffic info on LTE. I was just driving today and saw on the map ahead that there was traffic and it turned out to be for construction where the road went to one lane alternating.

I'm pretty sure I also get it for even when I'm not navigating but not sure if I get it on the driver display too. Will check next time and compare the big screen to the driver display.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The traffic data on the P8 Google maps is so hard to see and in many cases on non-highway roads seems to be mostly at the major intersections. They need larger colored highlights for the traffic indicator.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
Per Customer Service just yesterday the WiFi is not "currently" used for anything. IN fact my car used to connect to my home WiFi and now it only sees my neighbors WiFi. All downloads are via LTE: Volvo software and Google Maps.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I find the Volvo WiFi to be picky about what SSIDs it can see and use. Similar to my Wallbox EVSE I have to create a separate SSID on 2.4Ghz single 20MHz channel to handle the Volvo and my Wallbox.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Per Customer Service just yesterday the WiFi is not "currently" used for anything. IN fact my car used to connect to my home WiFi and now it only sees my neighbors WiFi. All downloads are via LTE: Volvo software and Google Maps.
My car definitely downloaded offline Google maps over my home wifi. Maybe they meant during driving.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Today I noticed the Google Maps app had to redownload my offline apps, so maybe that's the interruptions people are getting with 1.7.
This morning when I got in mine I checked notifications to see if 1.7 was ready. Nope, but it was d/l google offline maps, then boom not 30 seconds later it showed 1.7 ready for install.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
158 Posts
Anyone knows how to change the language? I think someone here was able to change to UK English so the navigation doesn’t sound as robotic as the default English setting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts