Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Make 90% into 100%

10K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  Greg S 
It's a bit fussy and old fashioned in the fast moving EV world, but if I was thinking of keeping it I would certainly pay more attention. Manufacturers have had various levels of caution - VW would void the warranty on early eGolfs if you rapid charged it more than 3 times in a row for example, and Volvo looks cautious to me in 2021.
My first EV was a Renault Zoe in 2015, there was certainly a buffer at the top (the XC40 is 75kWh usable out of 77kWh total), but they made no demands of the driver, in terms of how to drive or charge it. Difference being it was a 22kWh battery, and the battery itself was leased, with a guaranteed replacement if it degraded too much. Fast forward to 2021 and they don't lease batteries anymore (50kWh now!) because they don't need to - very few batteries had to be replaced.
I've been 'brought up' not having to nanny batteries so it's strange to me, but then the range is so vast that I can afford to now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.