Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The custom build page isn't coming up anymore on the US Volvo site. Also, there's a new message at the bottom of the XC40 shopping page:

Latest models shipping soon
New 2023 Volvos are on the way to volvocars.com/us/. We invite you to shop for current inventory at your preferred local Volvo retailer.​

·
Registered
463 Posts
That is just crazy to me! They really need to ramp up More production. I know that the Polestar 2 has been in plentiful supply based on the data on their web site. Wonder why the XC40/C40 cannot keep up. Maybe demand is just that much more for the Volvo, or more than they anticipated anyhow.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Or they closed it to force people to look at what is coming into the ports/available....might make it easier for them to build what they want and the buyers look/take what they can get. Also if they are switching over to the '23 model soon, then this also helps with parts build outs, etc.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
349 Posts
The demand for EVs is at the highest right now. Combined with COVID and supply chain issues manufacturers are forced to put a pause on production. I feel that Volvo is putting a break on huge backlogs that could get even longer as well as increasing the production of the C40.
Doing a quick search, Tesla has a backlog until July for the model Y, Ford a 20-28 week delay on the MachE, VW doesn’t even show and so on.
Hopefully it normalizes later this year.

/Jumping off the soap box/

·
Registered
69 Posts
The demand for EVs is at the highest right now. Combined with COVID and supply chain issues manufacturers are forced to put a pause on production. I feel that Volvo is putting a break on huge backlogs that could get even longer as well as increasing the production of the C40.
Doing a quick search, Tesla has a backlog until July for the model Y, Ford a 20-28 week delay on the MachE, VW doesn’t even show and so on.
Hopefully it normalizes later this year.

/Jumping off the soap box/
Audi also super late. I feel lucky to have gotten the Volvo with a two week order of existing inventory a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The custom build page isn't coming up anymore on the US Volvo site. Also, there's a new message at the bottom of the XC40 shopping page:

Latest models shipping soon
New 2023 Volvos are on the way to volvocars.com/us/. We invite you to shop for current inventory at your preferred local Volvo retailer.​
This also sounds. a little like a move away from the online ordering thing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Audi also super late. I feel lucky to have gotten the Volvo with a two week order of existing inventory a few weeks ago.
Audi has completely stopped even projecting a date when they think they will have one Q3 at the dealer for a test drive. We got tired of waiting and just got a second XC40.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Audi has completely stopped even projecting a date when they think they will have one Q3 at the dealer for a test drive. We got tired of waiting and just got a second XC40.
I had a deposit on the VW and was also quite interested in the Audi Q4 but bailed on both when I found I could get the Volvo right away. I see some ID.4's around but they are impossible to get your hands on if you didn't order very early. The Audi is a unicorn it seems.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a deposit on the VW and was also quite interested in the Audi Q4 but bailed on both when I found I could get the Volvo right away. I see some ID.4's around but they are impossible to get your hands on if you didn't order very early. The Audi is a unicorn it seems.
Did you drive the ID.4? We did, and while it was a nice car, it was super sluggish compared to other EVs we've driven. Compared to the XC40, it felt like a boat, too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you drive the ID.4? We did, and while it was a nice car, it was super sluggish compared to other EVs we've driven. Compared to the XC40, it felt like a boat, too.
I did drive it and my experience was like yours. It was not the AWD version so quite sluggish yes. It is substantially longer than the Volvo too. The infotainment screen was quite laggy. It's a neat car but seems sort of gimmicky-like it's trying really hard to be an electric vehicle or something "else". It's cool and I'm sure owners will love it but I'm happy I got the Volvo.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
349 Posts
We drove an ID4 demo car multiple times (Not the AWD). I even had a deposit on it.
What turned me down was when I drove the last demo, it had about 3500 miles but it felt it had 50,000 miles on it. I know it is a demo usually driven like it was stolen but the build quality helped me decide to go with the Volvo. Even with all the software issues the Volvo has, it’s still built like a tank imo. The infotainment system of the ID4 was also painfully slow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got a confirmation they are building them. Either I got my order in just under the wire (Jan 7th), or their website is wrong,

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Screenshot

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats! You probably just missed the cutoff. I don't see any way to place a custom order now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed that as well. Does this mean anything or is it just the final allotment? I was told they’re sending out the final allotment to dealers by end of Jan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts