Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have experience with LT storage of a P8? I’m going to park my P8 in my garage for 90 days. I’ve read the manual and it’s marginally informative on this topic.

I plan on leaving the HV battery charger connected with charge level at 50%. Not going to trickle charge the 12v battery, since when I stored my prior ICE vehicle (2019 Audi A3 Cabriolet) for this long I had no problem with the battery going flat.

Anything else I should consider doing? It will be interesting to see whether I can monitor the SoC using the VC app. Also, it’ll be parked when software update 1.8 finally starts to roll out OTA. Wondering whether update 1.9 will be rolled out by the time I get back

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
That is from Volvo manual. I would do exactly what it says if I have to go for long.

Preparing for long-term storage
The recommended charge level for long-term storage is 40-50%.

• If the charge level is high – drive the vehicle until it reaches the recommended range.
  • If the charge level is low – charge the vehicle to the recommended range.

During long-term storage
Check the charge level regularly. If it falls below 20%, the vehicle must be charged.

If the vehicle will be stored longer than 3 months it is recommended that the vehicle has a continuous AC charging source connected. Select a maximum charge level of 40% or 50%. Check regularly that the AC charging source is working.

Note
Store the vehicle in a cool place and avoid extreme temperatures during long-term storage to minimize the risk of damage to the battery. Choose a storage area indoors or in shade, depending on where the temperature is lowest, especially in warm climates.

It seems you already red that. Nothing realy comes to my mind... Hope you do not have mice problems. Remove all food from the car and vacuum it if you have time.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
The long term charge level is based on not charging regularly? If it is plugged in and so can always trickle would it be better to:

Continually trickle to 50
Continually trickle to 80
Continually trickle to 90
Once every X weeks charge to Y amount

They do not mention the 12 volt or the backup battery. Should anything be done with them?

(Joke) What about ai boredom. Have you hired someone to come talk to the car and tell it how pretty/powerful it is to make it feel special and wanted? (End Joke)

Hope you are going somewhere fun for 90 days. My mind fills 90 days with bad destinations which I blame on the 2021 outlook I seem to be sporting :)

Enjoy

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
The long term charge level is based on not charging regularly? If it is plugged in and so can always trickle would it be better to:

Continually trickle to 50
Continually trickle to 80
Continually trickle to 90
Once every X weeks charge to Y amount

They do not mention the 12 volt or the backup battery. Should anything be done with them?

(Joke) What about ai boredom. Have you hired someone to come talk to the car and tell it how pretty/powerful it is to make it feel special and wanted? (End Joke)

Hope you are going somewhere fun for 90 days. My mind fills 90 days with bad destinations which I blame on the 2021 outlook I seem to be sporting :)

Enjoy
As per the Volvo recommendation, I’d say set to 50% and plug in. Lithium Ion batteries don’t like to sit at high voltages, so that’s why they recommend not charging to 100% regularly and if you do, drive off immediately. If you charge to 100% and let the car sit, the high voltage can allow an electro-chemical reaction to occur in the battery and over time, dendrites can form on the cathode or anode (I can’t recall) and these can cause irreversible damage. So, I suspect that’s why they say not to leave it at a high SOC when it’s going to sit for a long time.

Has anyone ever left the car plugged in for a long enough period to see the charger kick back in after a time period? We usually unplug the charger once 80% (or 90% depending on what we’re doing) is reached. Even after a few days of not driving, it still says 80%, so I suspect you’d have to leave it plugged in for weeks before the charger kicks back on again.

· Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
219 Posts
The 12v battery is always charged from the high voltage battery system. Maintain the high voltage system at 50% or so and unless the 12v battery is beginning to fail from age, or anything else, you should be good. Works that way for Tesla.

· Registered
876 Posts
As per the Volvo recommendation, I’d say set to 50% and plug in. Lithium Ion batteries don’t like to sit at high voltages, so that’s why they recommend not charging to 100% regularly and if you do, drive off immediately. If you charge to 100% and let the car sit, the high voltage can allow an electro-chemical reaction to occur in the battery and over time, dendrites can form on the cathode or anode (I can’t recall) and these can cause irreversible damage. So, I suspect that’s why they say not to leave it at a high SOC when it’s going to sit for a long time.

Has anyone ever left the car plugged in for a long enough period to see the charger kick back in after a time period? We usually unplug the charger once 80% (or 90% depending on what we’re doing) is reached. Even after a few days of not driving, it still says 80%, so I suspect you’d have to leave it plugged in for weeks before the charger kicks back on again.
Not sure we left it long enough the the battery would need to be replenished but we always plug in the car whenever is parked in the garage. Our electric rates are always the same so it doesn’t make a difference.

· Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spending winter with our daughter and son-in-law outside of Houston. Did it last year (did not have the P8 at the time) and has there for the Valentine’s Day cold snap.

· Registered
2021 XC40 P8
8 Posts
Does anyone have experience with LT storage of a P8? I’m going to park my P8 in my garage for 90 days. I’ve read the manual and it’s marginally informative on this topic.

I plan on leaving the HV battery charger connected with charge level at 50%. Not going to trickle charge the 12v battery, since when I stored my prior ICE vehicle (2019 Audi A3 Cabriolet) for this long I had no problem with the battery going flat.

Anything else I should consider doing? It will be interesting to see whether I can monitor the SoC using the VC app. Also, it’ll be parked when software update 1.8 finally starts to roll out OTA. Wondering whether update 1.9 will be rolled out by the time I get back

· Registered
2021 XC40 P8
8 Posts
I stored the P8 for about 90 days with AC charging cable connected and charge level set to 50%. The 12V battery was totally discharged after 90 days. Luckily the car was not locked so I could open the hood to get at the 12V. Put a charger on it to get it charged enough to operate the systems and start the car, then drove to the dealer about 100 miles away. Dealer said the 12V was NOT bad, only discharged, so my conclusion is the 12V is not charged by the HV batteries when connected to AC. Now I attach a battery maintainer to the 12V whenever gone for more than a week and have had no problems since starting that regimen.

· Registered
876 Posts
I stored the P8 for about 90 days with AC charging cable connected and charge level set to 50%. The 12V battery was totally discharged after 90 days. Luckily the car was not locked so I could open the hood to get at the 12V. Put a charger on it to get it charged enough to operate the systems and start the car, then drove to the dealer about 100 miles away. Dealer said the 12V was NOT bad, only discharged, so my conclusion is the 12V is not charged by the HV batteries when connected to AC. Now I attach a battery maintainer to the 12V whenever gone for more than a week and have had no problems since starting that regimen.
Good to know.
I wonder why it is not mentioned to use a battery tender during long term parking.
Also, at what point was the battery dead, 1 week, 1 month?

· Registered
181 Posts
Good info. One question... I haven't tried yet to remove the panels at the front to get to the 12v battery connection points. In fact I haven't opened the front since the day I got it. Are those clips simple to remove?

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge 1.8
35 Posts
Well...looks like my 12v is gonna be dead by the time I get back.

I left my car at 44%, going to be back next weekend. It'll be 40 days of me being away.

Strange enough, my 2013 XC90 sat for 3 months and started up with the first try (it struggled but made it).

· Registered
181 Posts
It is! That's not gonna be fun.
eww, well I guess you can use the key in the fob, which will probably set off the car alarm, which how do you turn off?? Last time I looked at instructions it said something about putting the key in the arm rest area and push the start button. But we don't have a start button.... maybe, hopefully updated info.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge 1.8
35 Posts
Yeah I've popped the keyblade cover on the door handle on my other cars. But as mentioned before, how do you stop the car alarm.

Usually just putting the key in the ignition does it.

Edit: guess it's updated with proper instructions.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts