Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, now that I have the XC40 Recharge, I was curious if anyone can list the TYPE of chargers that will interface with the XC40. Below is a graphic from my ChargePoint account. I have a NEMA 14-50 at home, so I know that works, as well as Level 2-J1772 works...but what of the DC types? There are a few around my area. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
DC-Combo is CCS -- the DC charging part. Uses both the car's J-1772 socket and the two pins under it that are normally covered by a rubber cover.

If you want to use the Level-2 NEMA 14-50 you'll need to have your factory charger on hand, so personally I don't think I'd go looking. Or at least, not until I have my ChargePoint installed and the factory charger in the back -- and I desperately need a charge.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DC-Combo is CCS -- the DC charging part. Uses both the car's J-1772 socket and the two pins under it that are normally covered by a rubber cover.
Is that slow, or fast? What about CHAdeMO? I have 14-50 at home, so no need for that. Just something that can simply plug in, and be the fastest possible,

·
Registered
261 Posts
DC-Combo/CCS is fast, or at least the standard is fast. I've seen 50, 150 and 350 kW rate units. The P8 can take up to 150.

Do bear in mind that just because a unit is rated to supply that kind of current, it may not. The upstream source may not supply enough, and if other chargers are in use on that installation, the upstream source may be saturated and dividing among the cars.

Also, most EVs will slow down a fast charge as it gets close to full, to protect the battery. So while you might see 150 kW at 20%, probably more like 50kW or less at 90%.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I suspect the list is referring to places that have a NEMA 14-50, like a campground site with electric facilities. Not an EVSE itself, just a socket that can be used to charge.

·
Registered
388 Posts
On your Chargepoint (car and phone), Plugshare (phone or PC), and A Better Route Planner (phone or PC) apps, use the filter settings to turn off Chademo, Tesla, J1772 and others, and turn on CCS. This will give you a list of only fast chargers which work with the XC40 P8.

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
267 Posts
Is that slow, or fast? What about CHAdeMO? I have 14-50 at home, so no need for that. Just something that can simply plug in, and be the fastest possible,
Fuggitabout CHAdeMO. That's primarily Nissan Leaf and it's going into retirement in the US. For DCFC you'll use the CCS-2 plug. P8 can accept DCFC of 150kW (peak).

The simplest solution is the Volvo charging cord with the NEMA 14-50P adapter installed. Work with the P8, delivers 7kW @ 40A. Will charge from 25% to 90% in 4 hours (my most recent charge. And it's no additional cost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuggitabout CHAdeMO. That's primarily Nissan Leaf and it's going into retirement in the US. For DCFC you'll use the CCS-2 plug. P8 can accept DCFC of 150kW (peak).

The simplest solution is the Volvo charging cord with the NEMA 14-50P adapter installed. Work with the P8, delivers 7kW @ 40A. Will charge from 25% to 90% in 4 hours (my most recent charge. And it's no additional cost.
Thanks. I used the NEMA 14-50 at home and it definitely whacks the energy usage...so...cost is cost, regardless of the price.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks. I used the NEMA 14-50 at home and it definitely whacks the energy usage...so...cost is cost, regardless of the price.
Check with your electricity provider. They may have a time-of-use (TOU) rate that lets you charge your car much more cheaply between certain hours. Mine is midnight to 3pm daily. The downside is that your air conditioning energy usage is likely to be at the expensive time of day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check with your electricity provider. They may have a time-of-use (TOU) rate that lets you charge your car much more cheaply between certain hours. Mine is midnight to 3pm daily. The downside is that your air conditioning energy usage is likely to be at the expensive time of day.
You mean the plans with throttling? That's bad in Southern California.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I use a NEMA 14-50 outlet for my Wallbox Pulsar and it has been fine. I have Wi-Fi issues I had to resolve,as that unit did not support some additional settings I had on my Wi-Fi. I set up a schedule to charge between 12:01 u til 5:59 as I am on a rate plan that provides 400kWh of power during 12-6am free each month. And if I go over 400kWh then it is $0.045 per kWh.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use a NEMA 14-50 outlet for my Wallbox Pulsar and it has been fine. I have Wi-Fi issues I had to resolve,as that unit did not support some additional settings I had on my Wi-Fi. I set up a schedule to charge between 12:01 u til 5:59 as I am on a rate plan that provides 400kWh of power during 12-6am free each month. And if I go over 400kWh then it is $0.045 per kWh.
Cool. But is it possible to plan a charge within the Volvo's own software?

·
Registered
388 Posts
That sounds like what I just looked up for So Cal Edison TOU. Might be the right call, but the 4pm-9pm peak could be brutal with our weather...sauna time.
I run the air conditioner anyway. PG&E's online comparison tool says that my TOU plan is still less expensive than their other plans given my current electricity demand pattern.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts