Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did somebody use a trolley jack on the car?
Did you use any rubber pads like on Tesla?
What did you use to lift the car to mount the winter tires?

Thank you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Haven't seen those before.
I am curious how others are did it. Naturally I can use the scissors jack that came with the car, but it is too slow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you. Haven't seen those before.
I am curious how others are did it. Naturally I can use the scissors jack that came with the car, but it is too slow.
Did you end up jacking up the car? I want to use a floor jack to change to winter wheels but I’m unsure about which jacking points to use. I know there the cut out sin the plastic exposing the frame (by the little triangles in the trim) but there also appear to be plastic mounting points slightly further inward.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you end up jacking up the car? I want to use a floor jack to change to winter wheels but I’m unsure about which jacking points to use. I know there the cut out sin the plastic exposing the frame (by the little triangles in the trim) but there also appear to be plastic mounting points slightly further inward.
That is exactly my problem. I asked the dealership but there is nothing listed under accessories like rubber pad or bracket to lift the car. I am picking up my winter tires today and will use the scissor jack that came with the car. There is perpendicular steel plate that sticks a little. They are close to the front and back tires. If you cannot find them will snap you a picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, we're in the same boat. I actually started a thread about it to see if anyone had any input: Best Jacking Points

My last resort is the scissor jack, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. I had an idea though about how to still use the floor jack though.

If I measure the cutout and order a well fitting rubber jack pad adapter like this, I may be able to use the floor jack without damaging the car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright. That pad seems will do the job but only after some slight cutout mods I am afraid. Will order one. Hope will fit without any modifications but doubt it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm still searching for a smaller one. I just went out and measured the cutout. I think the diameter or length should be at most 7 cm. I'm trying to find something around 6.5 cm.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps aluminum slotted adapters will be promising. At the first glance the problem I am seeing is that none of the jack adapters are rated for maximum lb. We must be very careful.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ordered that one Jack Pad Medium Size Adapter. It says the pad has 3-4 tons of load bearing. Will take time to be delivered. Once it is here will make some pictures. I believe it is the same one linked in one of the above posts.
Disclosure: I need to lift the car to change the tires. I am not using that pad to go under the car, there is nothing to work on it under...not anymore, it is an EV. If you need to go under the car use ramps.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
Be careful, there are reviews which talk about cracking. The 3-4 ton load bearing specification might not account for sharp pinch welds. The specification unit might be in tons per square inch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be careful, there are reviews which talk about cracking. The 3-4 ton load bearing specification might not account for sharp pinch welds. The specification unit might be in tons per square inch.
Thank you. Careful I am. There is really nothing else out on the market within reasonable price range. I will try that and will let you know. Honestly I do not think it will do the job as prescribed. 1.2 tons should be bearable for the pad but giving the material and the way it is made I think it fail miserable after 2-4 times lifting the car. Shall see that we must. Could be a nice surprise product from a garage in China...😐

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back again for the long weekend. Tried to solve the lifting problem in most Canadian way possible - hockey puck. We use them for everything - playing, hunting, self defense and lifting volvos of course.

Here are the lifting point:
FRONT passenger site:
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

The idea is to make the puck slotted with hack saw:
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Hood

Netbook Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

The slot doesn`t need to be any deep.
Wood Bicycle handlebar Wire stripper Audio equipment Cable

And the moment of truth.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

As you can see it does not work. The steel cut the puck and went deeper. The car is very heavy and urethane rubber will not work at all.

The deformation is visible and the slot that I cut before now is more than half way through. NOT GOOD and not an option.
Here is the second hockey puck uncut. It is very good demonstration how heavy the car is.
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Trunk Automotive exterior

Bottom line is: rubber adapters will not work on our cars. Must be heavy duty aluminum or steel adapter like the one that was suggested by Greg S.

Do not waist your time and money with rubber pads. The hockey puck is made from the same material - urethane. Still waiting for the one I ordered but not optimistic.

To be continued.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flower Plant Petal Font Art

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
Interesting! LOL re: Canada/hockey puck. I think I’ve heard of people using them as engine mounts in the Volvo 240. You’d think they would survive anything. In AUS the car doesn’t even come with a scissor jack! I worked for GM/Holden and we had lots or requirements for jacking points to make sure it was safe to lift and didn’t damage the car. Would be interesting to see how the original scissor jack interfaces to that flange on the body...does the full weight of the car rest on the flange, and the notch in the scissor jack is just to keep it centred on the flange, or is the scissor jack designed with a deep enough notch that the jack head rests on the horizontal part of the body inboard and outboard of the flange. Sounds like the aluminium disks may be the way to go. Could you put a piece of plywood cut to the round shape of your floor jack and use that to contact the bottom of he body flange? Really depends on whether the flange is designed to take the load, or it’s the horizontal surfaces inboard and outboard that take the load. Hmm...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts