Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a thread on Level 2 charging issues, have we identified patterns based on what chargers are experiencing issues?

My Story
My charger installation was going to be complex. It would have required a meter tap, a new subpanel and a long conduit installed on the outside of a building. So I was planning on installing a 60 amp circuit and hardwiring a ChargePoint Flex. During this process I found out I could install solar. Although this set my timeline back a bit it made a lot of sense over the long run. The solar company was offering the JuiceBox 40 and the SolarEdge Integrated EVSE.

I chose to go with the SolarEdge integrated unit The marketing material for the SolarEdge promised 40 amp Level 2 charging, reduced installation cost and a single app for solar and ev charging. I found out, when my installer submitted for the permit, the SolarEdge unit is a level 1 charger that uses solar power to get to level 2. It's only level 2 when the sun is out. I would have opted for the JuiceBox 40 since they have it in stock had I known.

It's back in their court now since they have to do a new wiring diagram. Since the ChargePoint is backordered I am either back at the JuiceBox on a 14-50 or possibly the Clipper Creek HCS-60 (48 amp) hardwired.

My wife drives about 100 miles per day meaning that I need to be ready to put 40 kWh on in the 6 hours between midnight (TOU rates) and 6 AM (commute.) Technically I could squeak by on a 32 amp charger, but I'm not comfortable squeaking by.

It seems to me there is a big mental jump between 40 and 48 amps since the latter is more expensive to purchase (Clipper Creek) and install, but right now there are incentives being offered in my state so it may make sense.

So, back to the question, is there a pattern in chargers for people having issues. How far do you drive and how many amps do you charge at?

·
Registered
95 Posts
> installing a 60 amp circuit and hardwiring a ChargePoint Flex.
This is exactly what I did. Car is set for 48 amps and charges at 45, from what I can tell. I don't drive very far on an average day (<30 miles), so this more than meets my needs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
...Technically I could squeak by on a 32 amp charger, but I'm not comfortable squeaking by...
Steven, my current EV is a Model 3 but I use both a 32 amp and a 48 amp charging station at home to recharge it. I can tell you that you'll be glad you went to the trouble of installing the 48 amp station. By comparison, 32 amp charging feels like the old days with my just-adequate Nissan Leaf. I used a Clipper Creek 32 amp unit for many years, after a problematic Blink unit and before Tesla's HPWC. The Clipper Creek will not win beauty contests but is very functional, sturdy, and mine was always trouble free. My next install in that 32-amp location for the XC40P8 (or something similar) will be a Chargepoint or Juicebox, both well reviewed. I currently have three locations in my garage wired for EV charging but somehow need to move one of them to better suit the charging port location of our probable next EV with a European rear-mounted door.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
ChargePoint is backordered 5-6 weeks and looks like the Volvo voucher will take about 3 weeks, putting this at 8-10 weeks. Juicebox is now back orders u til early/mid July. That falls to my 3rd choice, Wallbox, which appears available and I will have within a week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.