Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all. I'm perplexed. I received a letter from Volvo that includes a sticker to be placed in the engine compartment. The letter and sticker says "0W-20 is to be used in 4-cylinder engines", however, this contradicts pre-existing factory sticker and the user's manual that came with the XC40, which state 5W-30. The manual does, however, say 0W-20 should be used in "extreme driving conditions", which I don't experience. The letter doesn't say anything in reference to the old sticker and what the manual may say and to replace it and cross-out the text.

Has anyone else received this letter? 0W-20 is a big jump when compared to 5W-30, which is much thicker. I have a 2019 XC40 T5. Is this Volvo's "cure" for their lower-than-expected MPG people have complained about the XC40? Should I switch to 0W-20?

P.S. Here's a handy video if you ever want to change your own oil:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got the letter. Laughed out loud and ripped it up and heaved it into the trash.

There is nothing that we agreed to that says we have to use their overpriced oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There is nothing that we agreed to that says we have to use their overpriced oil.
OK. You're missing the point. The letter (and my 1st post) isn't about using Castrol Edge Professional, the letter is concerned about the weight of the oil. And Castrol Edge isn't "their" oil. The sticker literally says "recommended". You can use any brand as long as it's SAE 5W-30 (or now, 0W-20, according to the letter...) Moving on.

I called my local dealer today. A guy from service immediately knew I was calling in reference to this letter once I said "engine oil viscosity". He did say to replace the sticker and update the manual. When I asked why Volvo was down-rating the oil and sending these letters, alluding to customer complaints about the XC40's poor gas mileage, he gave a vague response saying something along the lines of it's to increase engine longevity.

Dunno. I'll replace the sticker and start using 0W-20, but having Volvo tell customers to use a completely different viscosity after they've been made sounds... suspicious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts