Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if it worth installing LEDs for the brake & turn signal rear lights. It seem easy enough to do but:
1. Do you notice any difference in brightness? (considering the housing was made for iridescent bulbs)
2. Does it look any better? Can you tell its LED? (or does it look the same as the stock iridescent bulbs)
3, Was there any issues after installation?
Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
LED's look different, and typically are somewhat brighter. But... because LED's so much less power than regular lamps, the light circuit is going to think the bulb failed. "Ain't broke, don't fix it."

Reactions: PJC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LED's look different, and typically are somewhat brighter. But... because LED's so much less power than regular lamps, the light circuit is going to think the bulb failed. "Ain't broke, don't fix it."
Apparently the circuits are compatible with LEDs from what I’ve read. Should just be a straight swap. I might experiment when I get the car ... I just hope it isn’t too fake try hard kinda look haha.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Unless dropping the vehicle's power demands is a must (old wiring, poor wiring job, low output alternator or a generator) if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep in mind, too, the light assemblies are designed for a specific lighting source and location. If the design counts on using the reflector behind a bulb, and the LED essentially projects straight out, it makes the overall light assembly less effective. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: PJC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wondered if it worth installing LEDs for the brake & turn signal rear lights. It seem easy enough to do but:
1. Do you notice any difference in brightness? (considering the housing was made for iridescent bulbs)
2. Does it look any better? Can you tell its LED? (or does it look the same as the stock iridescent bulbs)
Thanks
I replaced my turn signals and brake lights without any issues whatsoever. Most led bulbs have lights surrounding the entirety of the bulb so coverage is not an issue. Much brighter than oem. Make sure you purchase bulbs with anti
Thanks
I replaced my brake lights and turn signals with anti canbus lights. Means non flickering. Much brighter and took about 15 minutes to do. I would highly recommend! I have a 21 r design.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts