Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our T5 Inscription is my wife's daily driver, so I only use it occasionally (I have a VW TDI standard transmission for my daily driver). But twice now when using her car I've parked it to go into a store and come back out to find the car still running. When I put the car in park I may not be pressing the Start/Stop button hard enough and this engine is so quiet and smooth that I can continue to run and I just don't realize it. I have to be very careful and make sure that I press the Start/Stop button firmly. Thankfully I'm in a rural area where car theft isn't a serious problem or her car would be long gone by now because of my previous mistakes.

Am I the only one who's made this mistake ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Our T5 Inscription is my wife's daily driver, so I only use it occasionally (I have a VW TDI standard transmission for my daily driver). But twice now when using her car I've parked it to go into a store and come back out to find the car still running. When I put the car in park I may not be pressing the Start/Stop button hard enough and this engine is so quiet and smooth that I can continue to run and I just don't realize it. I have to be very careful and make sure that I press the Start/Stop button firmly. Thankfully I'm in a rural area where car theft isn't a serious problem or her car would be long gone by now because of my previous mistakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are not the only one. I have had the car for exactly 29 days and probably left it accidentally running 3 times.

Good times. My wife likes to make fun of me when I do this.. like I have early-onset Alzheimers:>

The problem is similar to the closing of the trunk... there is no audible sound confirming things. That is, some sort of sound should confirm the shutdown of the motor (and closing of the trunk hatch).

I am still in love with this car - despite its many faults. All of these issues can be easily fixed with few lines of software code.

·
Registered
15 Posts

This is easy to do. I have to be sure that the car is in P before pushing the START/STOP button.
I have also put vinyl stick-on buttons on the Park button and the tailgate button to make them easier to find by feel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is easy to do. I have to be sure that the car is in P before pushing the START/STOP button.
I have also put vinyl stick-on buttons on the Park button and the tailgate button to make them easier to find by feel.
Yes. I do that. Put into P... but if I do not hit the stop/start button right, sometimes I do not notice turning the car off.

Again, Volvo should have a chime to confirm the shutoff. Simple to do. I am surprised they do not do this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope I never do this because it could kill me - we park our XC40 in an attached garage so we are very careful and aware to turn it off. One way I have learned to not make this mistake is to not bother hitting the P parking button when parking it and only hit the ignition on and off - try doing this by only hitting the one button and you should develop a good habit of always turning it off. One good thing if you keep it running in a parking lot is that no one can steal the car because you have to have the key inside the car for it to drive away (try it and you will see that you cannot drive away if the car is not inside the car).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm always listening to music in my '19 T5 and if the tunes don't cut off when I open the door, I know that the engine is still running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts