Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
AC 120V is useless unless you are in a pinch and have nothing else. It took like 18 hours to add 25% last week until I got my NEAM 14-50 installed. Then I limited car to 36 AMPs for now and my Wallbox came yesterday and I mounted it today, will be setting it up later today and off to nightly 12am-6am charging every few days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We finally have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed where the Volvo cord will reach. The big plug is quite difficult to pull out of this 240v outlet. I wonder if it’s okay to just leave it plugged in all the time with the white ring glowing?

The Chargepoint Flex on back-order will stay plugged in all the time, so seems like it should also be fine for the Volvo cord, but I would love to hear the wisdom of the crowd.
Has anyone looked into the price of a second charging cable so I can leave the one at home plugged in but have one in the car in case of emergency low battery situations and no charging station nearby or at locales just a bit too far from home but inconvenient for a stop at a charging station.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone looked into the price of a second charging cable so I can leave the one at home plugged in but have one in the car in case of emergency low battery situations and no charging station nearby or at locales just a bit too far from home but inconvenient for a stop at a charging station.

Might as well get a ChargePoint/Wallbox/etc, seems like.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Heck the Grizzl E which is built like a tank is only $479, less than the cable and will be easier with mounting and storing the cord. And my Wallbox was only $600 as there was a $50 coupon on Amazon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Cable is $550. ChargePoint is $699 plus installation to hard wire if you want 50 Amps.
If you are going to charge at 240 then you need an outlet installed either way. Charging at 50 for most people is overkill, 40 amps is plent and the plug-in unit does 40 amps. I did my own NEMA 14-50 outlet and for my Wallbox ($600) took all of 20 minutes to mounts and set up. That said the Wallbox app is clunky, but hopefully I won’t be in it much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are going to charge at 240 then you need an outlet installed either way. Charging at 50 for most people is overkill, 40 amps is plent and the plug-in unit does 40 amps. I did my own NEMA 14-50 outlet and for my Wallbox ($600) took all of 20 minutes to mounts and set up. That said the Wallbox app is clunky, but hopefully I won’t be in it much.
Thanks for the info. I am still pondering what exactly to do.

·
Registered
250 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind the Volvo cord is short compared to all the EVSEs on the market allowing you more flexibility as to where the outlet and car charge port are located. Based on where I mounted the outlet and EVSE I can park in either position in my 2 car garage and jack in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind the Volvo cord is short compared to all the EVSEs on the market
At 14.7 feet, the Volvo EVSE is no shorter than what evidently is typical for other OEM supplied units. My Tesla unit that came with the car originally was about the same size, and our SMART car's unit included with the car is also the same.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Correct, but Wallbox and other have 20-25 foot cords if that makes a difference. For me that allows me reach to either half of the garage when I might park.

·
Registered
142 Posts
At 14.7 feet, the Volvo EVSE is no shorter than what evidently is typical for other OEM supplied units.
One other thing to keep in mind the Volvo cord is short compared to all the EVSEs on the market
By "EVSE", I believe he's referring to a wall charger, not the car. EDIT: The point was that the Volvo cable is WAY shorter than any of the wall-charger cables.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Correct, technically the charger is inside the car and the thing on the wall or built-in the MFG cable is just a power delivery controller, it does nothing other that to supply x AMPs per what the car asks for up to the max it can deliver. The car takes that power converts it to charge proper internal voltages for the batteries and regulates that charging and when to stop. Technically it is the same for you phone, wall adapter it is just a power converter to deliver 5v DC at a mac watts, all the smarts about charging are in your phone.

EVSE - Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment

21 - 32 of 32 Posts