Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For lack of a better description, the finish is coming off the seat bottom on the driver’s side and just starting on the passenger’s side. Started noticing this a couple of months ago. The car is two years old with 12,000 miles. Well cared for and garage kept. Volvo just turned me down for repairing. Quote is $700 per side to replace. What a joke. I guess they don’t stand behind their product. We chose this car over BMW and Jaguar. Mistake. This makes me want to sell. Unfortunately, I’ll have to fix the the seats before I can. A $1400 loss. Ugh.

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
30 Posts
Is that true? If so--they aren't obligated to fix it. Can you confirm for us the purchase date of the car or simply acknowledge it is indeed out of warranty?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was May 2018. I contacted them in May of this year about it and we didn’t take it into them until recently due to the pandemic. Warranty or not, a good brand will stand behind their product. I had a Toyota that was slightly out of warranty (six weeks) but they still did a major repair for no cost to us. 12,000 miles and the leather is deteriorating? That shouldn’t be happening.

·
Registered
2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
44 Posts
Ask to look at another used volvo car on the lot same year with around or more miles and if the seats are the same. if not and the seats in the other car don't show what your seats are doing then tell them this is not normal wear and tear and falls under the 4 year/50k mile warranty. also take photos of the seat of the other car seats and send to Volvo to show how the your seat compares to the other cars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm thinking you should have put more effort in visiting the dealership earlier. I'm sooo sick and tired of this pandemic and the control our Politian's have placed on use. With every decision we make there are consequences

Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here’s the thing: the rep at the dealership said if there was no evidence of negligence, that it would be covered under warranty (this was my first contact with him and was still within two years of purchase). He spoke without having knowledge that this would be fact. There is no negligence but I still have the original seat cover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seems clear to me. The warranty period had expired before you took it to the dealer to get approval for warranty work.
I would have made an appointment while on that call. I've been on this good earth 76 years and have learned it's best to work within the rule of law if you want the most favorable outcome. Consider it a learning experience and move on. Nut'n we can about it for you..

Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. Seems clear to me that Volvo is an inferior brand and they don’t stand behind their product. That’s right, I did learn something. Nuthin I can do except move on from the brand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice. Seems clear to me that Volvo is an inferior brand and they don’t stand behind their product. That’s right, I did learn something. Nuthin I can do except move on from the brand.
What makes it an 'inferior brand'??? Anything designed, engineered, and built by humans could have a problem, that's just the way it is. When we purchase a product we offen enter into a warranty agreement, we and the product manufactory are bound by that agreement. By not taking you vehicle to the deqlership for them to inspect and validate the problem during the warranty period you made a mistake, a big mistake. Truth is there is a consequence to every decision we make. You seem not willing to accept, to own, the consequence of your decision to visit the dealer after the warranty period expired. Get over it, consider it a learning experience.

Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Inferior is relative. I’ve owned a lot of cars. I’ve never had leather seats wear out (or whatever you want to call it), brakes have to be replaced and the check engine light come on (yesterday) within 14,000 miles. I contacted the dealership within the warranty time and the rep said they WOULD honor the repair under warranty if there were no signs of negligence. There wasn’t. They still refused. I’m getting over it. Once I get this latest issue resolved I’ll move on...to something else.
BTW, I have tried to contact them for a further explanation via phone and email and no one will return my calls/emails. Doesn’t appear to be a company that really cares about their customers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A call to the dealer doesn't do it. The issue must be verified by a dealer representative and likely the Volvo
Area Representative before most major warranty work can be approved. Have you thought about taking your bitching to Volvo Customer Support?

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking you should have put more effort in visiting the dealership earlier. I'm sooo sick and tired of this pandemic and the control our Politian's have placed on use. With every decision we make there are consequences

Paul
For lack of a better description, the finish is coming off the seat bottom on the driver’s side and just starting on the passenger’s side. Started noticing this a couple of months ago. The car is two years old with 12,000 miles. Well cared for and garage kept. Volvo just turned me down for repairing. Quote is $700 per side to replace. What a joke. I guess they don’t stand behind their product. We chose this car over BMW and Jaguar. Mistake. This makes me want to sell. Unfortunately, I’ll have to fix the the seats before I can. A $1400 loss. Ugh.
I went in with mine within a week of purchase to show that the foam is visible and the leather is frayed around the seatbelts and unfinished under the headrests. It looks really cheap. They took mine for a week and said it was a defec. When I went to pick it up they had done nothing and said “Volvo just made some like this”. The dealership refused to repair it because they said Volvo wouldn’t reimburse them. I had chose this car over Mercedes and BMW because I was sold on a promise of quality and liked the safety records.
I took it to another dealer and they glossed over it. They had to replace a faulty speaker and I have had it in for stopping out of nowhere in the middle of the freeway. I really want to love this car but the lease isn’t going to become a purchase I’m afraid.

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
30 Posts
ARI--Contact the GM of the dealership. Then--press it to Volvo corporate. Don't let go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 2018 S90 and I clean it with volvo product (clean and conditioner) the best.
It look like new every time.
I hope you are doing the same. My opinion leather it is part of wearing so I don’t think warranty can get involve.
Best Wishes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 2018 S90 and I clean it with volvo product (clean and conditioner) the best.
It look like new every time.
I hope you are doing the same. My opinion leather it is part of wearing so I don’t think warranty can get involve.
Best Wishes.
I used the Volvo product. Not my fave but I used it so they couldn’t say I used something aftermarket that hurt it. Leather is something that wears but IMO and experience it shouldn’t wear out that quickly. I’ve had cars that were not nearly as upscale with leather seats that got me many more miles before showing this kind of wear. Someone at the dealership just contacted me after I had made another inquiry asking for further explanation. They wanted more pics and are looking further into this. Waiting on a response but not holding my breath.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: Their stance is that it’s normal wear. Geez. With normal driving I’d need new seat covers about every 18 months. It’s good that we don’t put many miles on this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Update: Their stance is that it’s normal wear. Geez. With normal driving I’d need new seat covers about every 18 months. It’s good that we don’t put many miles on this.
I would try getting a second opinion at another dealership (or two).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting. I've never seen posts about the finish of the seat coming away like the photo shows. When I first entered this chat, I suspected it was a stitch seam issue. I've read reports of low-quality stitching right at fabric corners, near the seatbelt. I've read people had Volvo replace their seats and even take back and exchange their XC40 for a different one. I think leather seats are no longer standard as they once were. Right now, fabric is what you get and you have to pay extra for all-leather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts