Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leased 2019 XC40 Inscription that I really like. I am torn between buying this car or turning it in for a XC40 Recharge. My driving is mostly city with an occasional trip out state which would exceed the 200+ range of the XC40 Recharge. But that is not really a concern and more of aesthetics. I loved the Inscription trim level of my current car and am not so much in love with the interior R-Design of the Recharge. Aside from that what has been the experience with folks going from gas to electric?

· Registered
2,537 Posts
My wife had a T5 and I had the Recharge. We now have 2 Recharges. I will say this, be prepared for some possible bumps with the Recharge, but it is a great car. I will never go back to gas. Our plan was to keep the T5 2-3 years and then get a second EV, but the current used car prices made it time to do it now as we made a huge profit on her 7 month old T5. I am not convinced EVs are ready for long trips due to charging network, but that depends on your part of the country. We rarely go anywhere the EV range would be a concern and if we did we could rent a gas car.

The gas and EV XC40 ride totally different. The gas is more nimble, and light footed. The EV is planted and feels more solid drive, but will pass big bumps or potholes right through the car. The solid planted feel of the EV makes the car feel more higher end and luxurious IMO. I would read several of the other posts on this forums, some of us have had a decent amount of issue, but still love the car.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
The big question is are you able to charge at home? Do you have a garage and would you be installing a 240V EVSE? If so, then electric vehicles are great. We currently only own EV’s.
Not to be argumentative. I cannot charge at home and I love my ev …. It’s not like we could fill her up with gas at home before :)

Of course being able to charge at home is another bonus but the lack of it is far from being a deal breaker.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
The differences is gassing up takes 5 minutes, charging even when going well can be a 30-45 minute visit. And as you know constant fast charging wears the battery more. And finally depending on what part of the country you are in fast charging network may be next to non-existent. We went 2 EVs knowing any trip more than about 150 miles round trip would likely require a gas rental. Metro Atlanta has some chargers, but if I were to go Atlanta to Chattanooga (90 miles) there is one fast charger along the way meaning if I could not charge in Chattanooga I could be stranded. Same thing for Atlanta to Augusta, Savannah, etc.

We still opted for 2 EVs because we know the charging network will improve. Also we rarely do more than 100 miles in a day so charging at home works for us.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
The differences is gassing up takes 5 minutes, charging even when going well can be a 30-45 minute visit. And as you know constant fast charging wears the battery more. And finally depending on what part of the country you are in fast charging network may be next to non-existent. We went 2 EVs knowing any trip more than about 150 miles round trip would likely require a gas rental. Metro Atlanta has some chargers, but if I were to go Atlanta to Chattanooga (90 miles) there is one fast charger along the way meaning if I could not charge in Chattanooga I could be stranded. Same thing for Atlanta to Augusta, Savannah, etc.

We still opted for 2 EVs because we know the charging network will improve. Also we rarely do more than 100 miles in a day so charging at home works for us.
Oh I know. Had an ev with no at home charging since May.

The thing missing is that if you shop at the right place you can charge whilst shopping:having your nails done/going to the gym, going to the park etc.

I think having home charging would be a lovely luxury but what percentage of America can have that? What percentage of city dwellers?

There are 4 evs in our building. All charging on public chargers. We all get it done. It is not a terrible burden. We try and efficiently charge (meaning charge whilst doing something else)

I have also done a 1200 mile trip with my ev. Was easy. No problems. There are places you cannot ev to at the moment. Routes you cannot take. I live in Seattle and have ev travelled only in Oregon and ca so know idea about the rest of the country.

In ice cars we have done a 12 thousand mile road trip and multiple 3-5 thousand mile trips and I just admit I would not do the 12k in an ev as there were some dodgy stretches :) and the 3-5k only with planning.

Things are not perfect but they are also far from broken.

That said where are the worst places in america to have an ev?

· Registered
514 Posts
@SeattleCat you make some very good points. I guess it depends on your usage/daily commute if you need home charging or not….with our usage, home charging is a must, but that isn’t the case for everyone. My wife absolutely would not have gotten an ev if we didn’t have home charging….she hated getting gas so having a full “tank” every morning as why she said yes to the EV. She uses ~35-45% of the battery each day for her commute.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
@SeattleCat you make some very good points. I guess it depends on your usage/daily commute if you need home charging or not….with our usage, home charging is a must, but that isn’t the case for everyone. My wife absolutely would not have gotten an ev if we didn’t have home charging….she hated getting gas so having a full “tank” every morning as why she said yes to the EV. She uses ~35-45% of the battery each day for her commute.
Ouch I can see with that situation that if she could not charge at work or the gym that charging at home would indeed be needed. Being retired makes it easier to go charge at night IF I need to for spouse2.

Honestly we cannot wait to move so we can have home charging.

I am wondering though, how many ev issues are effected by hole charging. They should not be but … perhaps some of my near perfect P8 experience is due to the never charging at home.

Probably not but who knows. Well Volvo does but they are not saying :)

· Registered
2,537 Posts

I think at some point condo/apartment owners are going to have to figure this out. Also as newer EVs get to under 20 minutes to go from 10-80% that is when adoption will start to really take off as one could argue it is like going tot he Quik Trip for gas and going in to grab some coffee and stuff and before you know it you are 50% charged.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The big question is are you able to charge at home? Do you have a garage and would you be installing a 240V EVSE? If so, then electric vehicles are great. We currently only own EV’s.
I could charge at home and I have a garage. I have not thought of installing a 240v EVSE. Which brings up another question, how much does it cost to charge at home? I have several commercial charging stations nearby.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I could charge at home and I have a garage. I have not thought of installing a 240v EVSE. Which brings up another question, how much does it cost to charge at home? I have several commercial charging stations nearby.
They vary, if you want one that is WiFi and smart with schedules figure $600-700. Wallbox, JuiceBox and ChargePoint are widely used here. There is a Federal Tax credit for the charger (EVSE). Exepct the cost of running a 240V outlet to be around $1000 depending on numerous factors. I did both my own, but have been working with electricity for over 35 years.

The U.S. federal tax credit gives individuals 30% off a electric vehicle charging station plus installation costs (up to $1,000). Must purchase and install by December 31, 2021, and claim the credit on your federal tax return.

If you have an outlet run make sure they use a good high end commercial outlet like Hubbell, not just an average stove outlet. Most good electricions know that.

· Registered
514 Posts
@He Keith answered your question in respect to the EVSE. If you meant literal cost….ie electric bill cost. That varies wildly depending on what your electricity costs and if your electric company has special rates for off peak charging.

My electricity cost is roughly $.093 per kWh after you factor in the actual cost of the electricity and transmission fees. I also have no special rates for off peak charging, so we just plug in as soon as we get home.

Also some electric companies have great incentives for the actual EVSE as well…..mine sadly does not

· Registered
2,537 Posts
My power company gives me 400kWh per month free between 12am-6am so in 7 months I have actually spent $10 in electricity to drive 2900 miles. My rates are dirt cheap during that period $0.045 kWh so even if I use up the 400kWh is is so inexpensive. If I charge during 1pm-9pm then I am $0.135 kWh and my power company gave me $250 for my EVSE.

· Registered
829 Posts
We're an EV-only household currently two cars plus two more EVs in the past. For us, being able to charge at home makes all the difference between the cars being a delight vs a burden. We have a full "tank" pretty much any time we want it with 5 seconds' effort. We're also comfortable with a 1000 mile road trip within California, but you do need to plan ahead for charging, unlike a gas car. Much longer than that, or traveling beyond the west coast toward the desert, we'd just fly and rent a car as we have in the past with our gas cars.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I am with Cobb EMC and it is their Nite Flex plan, but GA Power has something similar and at least with Cobb EMC you do not need an EV. Most power companies want you to shift usage overnight so they can balance generation loads.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
48 Posts
I have been driving electric cars as my primary vehicle since 2003. Get the Recharge; dump the gasoline engine. When you need to take a trip that is beyond the Recharge's range, either make a recharging stop or rent a gasoline car for the trip. Once you are free of gas stations, oil changes, and all of the rest of the maintenance that goes with an ICE, you will never go back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.