Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
To add another data point (and further confusion on Volvo's approach here), I got all three keys (2 black and 1 orange) but one of the black keys doesn't have the metal key.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same here. I got 2 black keys (with blades) and 1 orange key (no blade).
2021 XC40 Momentum (ICE) I got one black key (with a metal key) and one Orange key (With a metal key)

They work identically as far as I can tell.

(Except you can't change the selected profile with the orange key. I don't know why you'd want to change profiles and not have the profile "attached" to a key, so it's not a problem for me.)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
43 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Based on the responses I have a feeling the intent is we get two metal keys for our 3 fobs. I suspect George is putting them in the black fobs because they're the same and Sally is putting them in an orange and black because they are different.

I imagine that this gets heated every time it comes up at happy hour. I just hope that Volvo provides more explicit instructions before it comes to blows.

What do we know about the keys delivered with other Volvos?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Near as I can tell the two metal keys I have are identical. No difference for the orange one.

BTW: Thanks for the heads up on this as the black fob I was using as my primary key was the one without it. That could have been a rude realization down the road if I ever found the car with a dead +12v battery away from home.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Both my black keys have the metal key; the orange does not. I'm curious whether anyone got the so-called sport key? The first time I contacted Volvo Consumer Support back in April about my missing black key, they told me that everyone was supposed to get one black, one orange and one "chip" which they explained was a small sport key that could be taken swimming, etc. So far I haven't heard of anyone getting that combo. I'd actually like one of those. I run a lot and the bulky key isn't comfortable in some of my shorts. My black shorts have a nice pocket with good strong elastic webbing on the hip. That holds the key fine. But my gray shorts have the pocket in the front inside near the groin, and the heavy key whumping there every step isn't ideal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Both my black keys have the metal key; the orange does not. I'm curious whether anyone got the so-called sport key? The first time I contacted Volvo Consumer Support back in April about my missing black key, they told me that everyone was supposed to get one black, one orange and one "chip" which they explained was a small sport key that could be taken swimming, etc. So far I haven't heard of anyone getting that combo. I'd actually like one of those. I run a lot and the bulky key isn't comfortable in some of my shorts. My black shorts have a nice pocket with good strong elastic webbing on the hip. That holds the key fine. But my gray shorts have the pocket in the front inside near the groin, and the heavy key whumping there every step isn't ideal.
do your green shorts have a fanny pocket that could accommodate the orange keys??

·
Registered
184 Posts
do your green shorts have a fanny pocket that could accommodate the orange keys??
We're getting a bit off topic, but all my running shorts have a fanny pocket. The grey one is crammed full of my wallet which carries my driver's license, emergency contact info, etc. There's no room for the key. There's even a separate key pocket on the hip which would work with a key chip, but it has no elastic and the black key sticks out the top of it. The key actually bounced out once when I stumbled and lurched forward. It could be disastrous if my car key went flying into a creek or got lost in a pile of leaves. I keep it in the front inside pocket. That's the point. Key pockets are designed for traditional metal car or house keys. That's no doubt why Volvo supposedly offers a sport key. The question remains if anyone actually got one.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
67 Posts
We're getting a bit off topic, but all my running shorts have a fanny pocket. The grey one is crammed full of my wallet which carries my driver's license, emergency contact info, etc. There's no room for the key. There's even a separate key pocket on the hip which would work with a key chip, but it has no elastic and the black key sticks out the top of it. The key actually bounced out once when I stumbled and lurched forward. It could be disastrous if my car key went flying into a creek or got lost in a pile of leaves. I keep it in the front inside pocket. That's the point. Key pockets are designed for traditional metal car or house keys. That's no doubt why Volvo supposedly offers a sport key. The question remains if anyone actually got one.
Yes I got the sports key or chip as some call it but Volvo could not program it as 1 of the 3 req'd keys so they replaced it with another black key.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8
37 Posts
They used to supply the all black smaller waterproof sealed no button "key." I understand that few people even knew what thy were so now I understand it is an "option" you can still order.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Based on the responses I have a feeling the intent is we get two metal keys for our 3 fobs. I suspect George is putting them in the black fobs because they're the same and Sally is putting them in an orange and black because they are different.

I imagine that this gets heated every time it comes up at happy hour. I just hope that Volvo provides more explicit instructions before it comes to blows.

What do we know about the keys delivered with other Volvos?
My dealer told me yesterday that we were to get one metal blade in each of the black keys and none in the orange key. Obviously Volvo was not consistent in placing the metal blades in the black keys. (Nor were they consistent in giving everyone two black keys to begin with.)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts