Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue - 01/21
38 Posts
Two black. The dealer said they were keeping the orange keys of all the P8 owners until they are working properly. I didn't realize at the time that this would not allow me to attempt to use VOC. I'm going to ask for the orange key tomorrow when I speak with the dealer about my ongoing charging problems.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It could be saving you from the insanity of trying to get voc working :)

Just pointing out the silver lining. That said if they had my orange key I would be poed!!!

Good luck in getting it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
So I was giving Volvo the benefit of the doubt, but after today I call BS on them. Volvo comped me the 3rd key and I went home and tried to pair Volvo On Call and after looking a while for ALL the keys it now failed saying it needs all 4 keys. WTF, this car clearly had 3 keys linked to it when it was built and Volvo is full of crap with all the stories they are spinning.

To add more misery now the drivers door intermittently will not unlock or open. I hear all the other doors unlock and can open them, but I need to fiddle with the drivers door over and over.

The charger and car are not always communicating, sure it may be a Wallbox issue, but why would I believe anything Volvo says at this point.

Can you say LEMON of a beta car.

Update:

So fiddling around with the driver door more, it is a mechanical issue. Seems the door unlocks but if you dont; pull the door handle as far to the right as possible something is not enagging and opening the mechanism. Pull in the middle or too left and the door will not open. All 3 other doors can open regardless of where I pull and same for all 4 doors on wife's XC40 T5. Back to the dealer.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have contacted the dealership and Volvo Canada several times to inform them that a 3rd key is needed as per the message yielded upon attempting to install Volvo on call. They were all convinced that only 2 keys were provided with the electric XC40. Well, lo and behold, they contacted me yesterday to inform me thet they "found?" a 3rd key for my vehicle. Went to get it and with all 3 keys with me in the car I was able to successfully to connect Volvo on call. Conclusion : 3 keys are indeed needed. Insist for the dealer to find the 3rd key, free of charge of course.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had yet another fiasco with the dealer today over the keys. I was the first to complain in this forum about getting only two keys - one black and one orange - when everyone else was getting two black keys. I complained to the dealer and Volvo Customer Support and eventually the dealer agreed to provide me with the second black key. Today I went to pick it up and also at the same time have the orange key upgraded pursuant to a notice I received (Notice A10091). I did get a second black key but it is NOT the correct one. What I received originally was recognized as "Key 2" in my profile. The one I got today is recognized as "Key 4." The care key is presumably key 3 although that does not show up in profiles. There is still no Key 1. I tried to pair VOC with the car at pickup time and now the car is saying I need all 4 keys in the car. The dealership has no idea how to remedy that. They simply are not acknowledging that there ever was a Key 1 associated with the car and I think they are being honest about it. Either it was mistakenly programmed to have three keys when only two were ever associated with the car, or there was a Key 1 at manufacture but it went missing somewhere between Belgium and my hand. I've just explained this by email to the GM of the dealership, who has been responsive and gracious, if clueless. We'll see what comes of it, but if anyone knows the solution, feel free to chime in. Sooner or later I'm entitled to VOC or whatever it's now called.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I had yet another fiasco with the dealer today over the keys. I was the first to complain in this forum about getting only two keys - one black and one orange - when everyone else was getting two black keys. I complained to the dealer and Volvo Customer Support and eventually the dealer agreed to provide me with the second black key. Today I went to pick it up and also at the same time have the orange key upgraded pursuant to a notice I received (Notice A10091). I did get a second black key but it is NOT the correct one. What I received originally was recognized as "Key 2" in my profile. The one I got today is recognized as "Key 4." The care key is presumably key 3 although that does not show up in profiles. There is still no Key 1. I tried to pair VOC with the car at pickup time and now the car is saying I need all 4 keys in the car. The dealership has no idea how to remedy that. They simply are not acknowledging that there ever was a Key 1 associated with the car and I think they are being honest about it. Either it was mistakenly programmed to have three keys when only two were ever associated with the car, or there was a Key 1 at manufacture but it went missing somewhere between Belgium and my hand. I've just explained this by email to the GM of the dealership, who has been responsive and gracious, if clueless. We'll see what comes of it, but if anyone knows the solution, feel free to chime in. Sooner or later I'm entitled to VOC or whatever it's now called.
My issue exactly and have an appointment next week to see if they can remedy it. I am calling dealer today and going to start a dialogue with the service manager so I have visibility. Volvo really sucks at this point. I can’t even tell you how much I regret my purchase and I have less than 300 miles and did a buy, so I have many years of this or hope the car gets stolen or catches fire one day (just not in my garage).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Would be interested in people posting their build date from the door tag and keys they received. Mine was 3/21 and 1 black 1 orange.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
Those of you who did not receive an orange Care Key at vehicle delivery or you know that the dealer is withholding your Care Key, Volvo issued a Parts Bulletin on 4/27/21 on this topic.

It’s that the dealer (retailer) is directed to set up service appointments to retrieve their Care Key. The bulletin also directs that the corrective action is to download a Total Upgrade software. (Sorry for partially obscuring this part. )

Those of you who have been fighting with their dealer on this issue now have documentation to support your position.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Those of you who did not receive an orange Care Key at vehicle delivery or you know that the dealer is withholding your Care Key, Volvo issued a Parts Bulletin on 4/27/21 on this topic.
View attachment 914
It’s that the dealer (retailer) is directed to set up service appointments to retrieve their Care Key. The bulletin also directs that the corrective action is to download a Total Upgrade software. (Sorry for partially obscuring this part. )

Those of you who have been fighting with their dealer on this issue now have documentation to support your position.
I got my key and had the software update done, but nothing else changed. There is still no way to access any settings regarding the Care Key even after that update. My dealer opened a support case with Volvo.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I took the car in again on the key issue. The dealer deleted all the existing keys in the car's memory (it "thought" there were four) and then readded in the three keys I have. I was able to pair the Volvo car app with my phone and keys. The app doesn't seem to do anything at this point. I tried to view the car's state of charge through the app, but it showed no information. The service guy told me I wouldn't be able to pair the app because it wasn't active, but he was wrong. He also was surprised when he couldn't turn off the car with a key or button. He asked me if that was normal. So obviously, the service people have a long learning curve ahead. The app version I have is 5.0.4.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Did you have profiles linked to specific keys? Did you have to associate your profiles to each key again?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did you have profiles linked to specific keys? Did you have to associate your profiles to each key again?
I had my profile linked to one key, which the car recognized previously as Key 2. My wife hasn't driven the car and hasn't set up a profile. Today after the service I tried one of the keys (I don't know which it was from before) and the car recognized it as my profile and said it was Key 2. All my profile settings seemed the same. But then I tried the other black key and got the same result. My wife is intimidated by the car and may never drive it, but she sometimes rides with me and wants to be able to do things on her own, like unlock the car or open the liftgate with her foot. She needs a key for that. Sometimes we shop together but she might return to the car first when I'm in a different store. I think eventually she'll be brave enough to drive it. So far the only profile settings I know of that matter are language, units, OPD, and steering feel. All of those would be the same for her anyway, so even if she's driving, I doubt she'd have any desire to have a separate profile. Am I missing something? Because I thought mirror and seating position would be unique to each key like they are in my wife's 2006 Acura, but so far as I can tell, the driver and passenger both need to make any adjustments manually. Those are things that would be different for us. If they can be linked to a key, I'd like to do that.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I go next Friday will tell them to delete all keys and reprogram. My wife and I both have profiles connected to keys. Her key (being the new key) shows as Key 4 so we will wee what happiness.

I am still figuring it put, but best I can tell the best way to preserve things is set up a profile for each driver and link that profile to the specific key, This way when you unlock the car it has your seat positions, mirrors and any Infotainment apps. I will do more testing, but the memory seats and stuff are not tied to a key, but rather a profile. So if she does not have a profile and gets in the car with her key it will be set as you left it. She will have to hit her memory button. Also what I am finding is then you hit the other memory button you have to hold it until the seats finish adjusting. Swedes are real messed up with this stuff and need to learn from the Japanese. We came from many Acura's and settings followed the key period.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I go next Friday will tell them to delete all keys and reprogram. My wife and I both have profiles connected to keys. Her key (being the new key) shows as Key 4 so we will wee what happiness.

I am still figuring it put, but best I can tell the best way to preserve things is set up a profile for each driver and link that profile to the specific key, This way when you unlock the car it has your seat positions, mirrors and any Infotainment apps. I will do more testing, but the memory seats and stuff are not tied to a key, but rather a profile. So if she does not have a profile and gets in the car with her key it will be set as you left it. She will have to hit her memory button. Also what I am finding is then you hit the other memory button you have to hold it until the seats finish adjusting. Swedes are real messed up with this stuff and need to learn from the Japanese. We came from many Acura's and settings followed the key period.
You only have to hold the memory button if the door is closed. If the door is open and you hit the memory button everything moves until it is in the position set for that button.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I will check again, but she had the door open.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts