Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had as free 1000 in accessories to spend so decided on 2 key shells as part of this. One in white the other in black.

Yes it is silly to spend 130(ish) dollars per shell but was running out of stuff to get and wanted to squeeze every penny.

they arrived at last ( they did not actually order them the first 3 odd times they said they had, same with my plates but this is a different story).

min wrapped them. They come in a nice holds something nice cardboard plush box. I open the white first and eagerly put them on my shell. They refuse to lock into place so will just fall off.

Put the original back on and am greeted with a nice snap as they seat and lock in.

Fristration growing.

Try the black one it also fails.

It’s been a day of being lied to by Volvo dealership so feeling a lack of the warm fuzzies.

I think ooh how about I put them on backwards and voila black leather licks in to place. Huzzah I do the same with white and it falls off.

I decide to test the plastic and they lock into place reversed or not.

Finally look at packaging to see which countries made which. Found one made in Germany and the other made in Portugal.

Can you guess which one worked? Well it was not a day for German engineering. Victory Portugal. Failure Germany ( of course judging a country by a key phob shell is ridiculous this was just humor).

long and the short neither replacement is made to the same quality as the freeby plastic one.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
Finally look at packaging to see which countries made which. Found one made in Germany and the other made in Portugal.

Can you guess which one worked? Well it was not a day for German engineering. Victory Portugal. Failure Germany ( of course judging a country by a key phob shell is ridiculous this was just humor).
Not surprised the “made in Portugal” worked. The OEM keys delivered with my P8 were made in Portugal.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ditto on “running out of Accessories to get”…Thinking on the roof top cross bars and box BUT not anticipating any out of town trips.
My triathlon days have been over for years otherwise would have gotten the bike racks…..
Hhmmm…..how best to maximize the $1k accessories ….1st world problem really.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ditto on “running out of Accessories to get”…Thinking on the roof top cross bars and box BUT not anticipating any out of town trips.
My triathlon days have been over for years otherwise would have gotten the bike racks…..
Hhmmm…..how best to maximize the $1k accessories ….1st world problem really.
I opted for the $750 in gift cards. Selected Best Buy and off to get a new phone next week.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I opted for the $750 in gift cards. Selected Best Buy and off to get a new phone next week.
I thought about that. As super difficult it js for them to even read, print and doubt the $1k Accesory although there are verbiage re the gift card, I highly doubt they could even comprehend the gift cards. Such a pain !

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
750 in gift cards? Wish we had had that option. Oh well :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
750 in gift cards? Wish we had had that option. Oh well :)
Somewhere on the forum is a Volvo Corp memo indicating the deal was $1000 in accs or $750 a gift card to "high end retailer or restaurant". It was published when all cars were tangled up at the ports.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh well. I should of read it better. At this point I will be happy when the stuff I ordered comes and works and I actually get my plates.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you don't mind sharing, which Dealership was that, and City, State ?
Of course I went to my Dealer today to pick up license plate -- re printed the GW Bulletin, specifically pointing out I wanted to go the $750 route, and that I choose to have Amazon GiftCard (instead of giving them an "option")

Not shockingly, upon arrival....

Dealer: "...we're not sure, but leaning towards NO...."
Me: ...VERY NICELY... "...the great thing is it's listed on the Bulletin as an OPTION for Customers of EITHER OR...."
Dealer:"....but Amazon Giftcard is not listed..."
Me: "....here it suggests.....Tiffany's card, premium hotels, Ruth steakhouse.... so I'm SURE they were merely trying to provide RANDOM EXAMPLES....."
Me:"...and the good thing is I know folks have gotten cards NOT listed such as Best Buy...."
Dealer:"....ohhh.....(silence)..... well, YOU wanted the Accessories in the beginning so I didn't look into that other option.....let me check with Volvo office in NJ.... I know how to do the accessory claims but not the other...."

In short, their default answer is "NO". When inquired further while providing facts, they back down RELUCTANTLY and UNPLEASANTLY..... wow.....

But hey, i have to try....simply because it's WRITTEN on the Bulletin as an option.....next step is for me to scare them by saying.... "....yeah...my Corporate Attorney reviewed it and said...."

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you don't mind sharing, which Dealership was that, and City, State ?
Of course I went to my Dealer today to pick up license plate -- re printed the GW Bulletin, specifically pointing out I wanted to go the $750 route, and that I choose to have Amazon GiftCard (instead of giving them an "option")

Not shockingly, upon arrival....

Dealer: "...we're not sure, but leaning towards NO...."
Me: ...VERY NICELY... "...the great thing is it's listed on the Bulletin as an OPTION for Customers of EITHER OR...."
Dealer:"....but Amazon Giftcard is not listed..."
Me: "....here it suggests.....Tiffany's card, premium hotels, Ruth steakhouse.... so I'm SURE they were merely trying to provide RANDOM EXAMPLES....."
Me:"...and the good thing is I know folks have gotten cards NOT listed such as Best Buy...."
Dealer:"....ohhh.....(silence)..... well, YOU wanted the Accessories in the beginning so I didn't look into that other option.....let me check with Volvo office in NJ.... I know how to do the accessory claims but not the other...."

In short, their default answer is "NO". When inquired further while providing facts, they back down RELUCTANTLY and UNPLEASANTLY..... wow.....

But hey, i have to try....simply because it's WRITTEN on the Bulletin as an option.....next step is for me to scare them by saying.... "....yeah...my Corporate Attorney reviewed it and said...."
Borton Volvo in Minneapolis

·
Registered
609 Posts
Borton Volvo in Minneapolis
Thank you for sharing. Much appreciated! Given it's a CORP Bulletin....the claim process on their end should be the same as it's not a Dealer specific deal. So if one can issue so, the others should be able to :) Gotta press these fellas!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Much appreciated! Given it's a CORP Bulletin....the claim process on their end should be the same as it's not a Dealer specific deal. So if one can issue so, the others should be able to :) Gotta press these fellas!
good luck!! Borton has been good through the entire experience.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am frustrated as dealers have free money to make their customers happy after dealing with all the BS. My issue is since I bought out of state the selling dealer has no incentive to help me out and the local dealer, while servicing the car is not incentivized to throw me a bone. I have service appointment this Friday and my print it out and leave it with dealer.

Those of you getting the $750 how are you doing it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am frustrated as dealers have free money to make their customers happy after dealing with all the BS. My issue is since I bought out of state the selling dealer has no incentive to help me out and the local dealer, while servicing the car is not incentivized to throw me a bone. I have service appointment this Friday and my print it out and leave it with dealer.

Those of you getting the $750 how are you doing it.
Not counting eggs yet…..it’s back to “….checking with Volvo….”. Findog’s $750 BestBuy gift card is first I’ve heard of (Vs the $1k accessories). So I’m using that to challenge them that YES it’s been done, so try harder. Just because they don’t know how to file the claim internally doesn’t mean it’s a “NO” to Customers.
Crossing my fingers ….I seriously don’t really “need” any of the accessories given I’ve already gotten aftermarket products and the Dog grilled in the back was part of the initial deal so I shouldn’t have to force myself to get accessories that I won’t be using.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not counting eggs yet…..it’s back to “….checking with Volvo….”. Findog’s $750 BestBuy gift card is first I’ve heard of (Vs the $1k accessories). So I’m using that to challenge them that YES it’s been done, so try harder. Just because they don’t know how to file the claim internally doesn’t mean it’s a “NO” to Customers.
Crossing my fingers ….I seriously don’t really “need” any of the accessories given I’ve already gotten aftermarket products and the Dog grilled in the back was part of the initial deal so I shouldn’t have to force myself to get accessories that I won’t be using.
Shocking shocking…… I’d been pressing my Dealer regarding the $750 gift card over the accessories…..i had used Findogs BestBuy gift card as an example…..after much much debate and run-around (including questioning me WHERE I got that Bulletin from since they had zero clue about it) primarily pointing out to the legitimacy of the Bulletin, that it’s a Corporate wide deal NOT Dealer specific, that I’ve had brake/rotor replacement within 3 weeks of taking delivery….that vehicle itself is under spec to begin with etc……and finally….that i was having my corporate attorney review the bulletin (I think that scared them off)….. long story short after 2 weeks of the back and forth….I’ll be drawn they made it happen…. $750 credit Amazon (which I had requested for).
So thanks again to FinDog for his example and Dealershis location to facilitate pressure on mine !

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts