Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got our 2022 XC40 Recharge on Saturday. Super happy with it so far. That said I have a few questions that maybe someone can help with.

1) Is there a way to get the dash/infotainment center to display an estimated range until the battery is drained?

2) As it turns out the battery on our other car is likely on the way out. Am I able to jump start it from our XC40?

Thanks everyone and I'm excited to be a part of the community here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
1. The Range Assistant, available when you push the Home button on the infotainment screen, show estimated remaining range and related information.
2. Yes, but it’s not a simple process, unlike ICE cars. I recommend you look up “jump starting using another battery” in the online manual before attempting it.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
190 Posts
Congrats tehiberduber!
1. You can also just say "Hey Google, what is my range?"
2. Correct, you CAN jump start another vehicle using the P8, but I would be reluctant to do so (unless really urgent) due to all the electronics, etc. of the P8. I opine that it's risky.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I was so confused why I only see a milage range when I was at 10% and under 30 miles left. I'm with everyone here it's not worth the potential risk to jump our car with a 5 year old battery off our 2 day old electric car. I'm going to just remove the other car battery and take it to get tested/replaced.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
349 Posts
Congrats @tehuberduber on the new ride. What version are you on? You should be able to see the range, not on the dash but on the infotainment screen.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Welcome to the land of swoosh. Remember to lock head in a safe position before decking the accelerator :)

100% get a charger box for other peoples car. I wonder if they “hid” our 12 volt for a safety reason or just for aesthetics.

As said you can display range center console or ask Google. The range anxiety will fade relatively rapidly. Soon you will head out with 43% charge and think meh I might charge today :) (I used to top off to 90 every night). I do charge on the wild though. If I had a home charger access ….

Welcome and enjoy.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
632 Posts
2) As it turns out the battery on our other car is likely on the way out. Am I able to jump start it from our XC40?
The XC40 manual clearly tells you NOT to attempt this! You can get jump-started, but you cannot jump-start someone else.

Important
The charging points of the vehicle are only intended for jump-starting the vehicle in question. The charging points are not intended for jump-starting another vehicle. Using the charging points to start another vehicle could cause a fuse to blow, which would cause the charging points to stop working.

Jump starting using another battery | Starting and switching off vehicle | Starting and driving | XC40 Recharge Pure Electric 2021 | Volvo Support (volvocars.com)

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts
Yes, my Tesla and my Volvo both prefer you not to use the car 12v battery to jump start. First they are not easy to a access. .In the Frunk you have to remove a series of screw/pop connectors and then life out the interior large cover to access the battery. Just do a search on Google/YouTube to see that. Second, our EV 12v batteries are really small compared to ICE cars since our batteries are strictly used to operate lites, radio, stuff like that. We don' need a big battery to spin the "starter motor" to start an ICE engine.

Welcome to the Volvo EV world. Ask all the questions you want. Also a great following on Facebook with Volvo XC40 too.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
349 Posts
Second, our EV 12v batteries are really small compared to ICE cars since our batteries are strictly used to operate lites, radio, stuff like that. We don' need a big battery to spin the "starter motor" to start an ICE engine.
I believe the 12V battery in the P8 XC40 is the exact same one that's in the ICE XC40, with 760 CCA.

·
Registered
462 Posts
1) Is there a way to get the dash/infotainment center to display an estimated range until the battery is drained?
Although many others have already replied to this — just one more reply for you to chew on. As others have noted, you can pull up the range by voice/asking Google. But, this provides you the EPA rated range remaining only. To that end, I just want to reiterate the advice of using the Range Assistance, an App/feature that did not exist prior to v1.7 but is quite useful, especially for first time EV owners. On our dash (the 4 bars of the “Home Screen”) we leave the Range Assistant as the very bottom one. This provides a nice quick snapshot of your remaining range, based on your current driving style, rather than EPA. This is a more accurate depiction, and can be used with a lot more confidence. G’luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Although many others have already replied to this — just one more reply for you to chew on. As others have noted, you can pull up the range by voice/asking Google. But, this provides you the EPA rated range remaining only. To that end, I just want to reiterate the advice of using the Range Assistance, an App/feature that did not exist prior to v1.7 but is quite useful, especially for first time EV owners. On our dash (the 4 bars of the “Home Screen”) we leave the Range Assistant as the very bottom one. This provides a nice quick snapshot of your remaining range, based on your current driving style, rather than EPA. This is a more accurate depiction, and can be used with a lot more confidence. G’luck!
We do the same. Quite handy!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I believe the 12V battery in the P8 XC40 is the exact same one that's in the ICE XC40, with 760 CCA.
I agree as everything I look up shows same part number. I had posted the battery is in the rear, but does look like it is in the front of the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats @tehuberduber on the new ride. What version are you on? You should be able to see the range, not on the dash but on the infotainment screen.
Sadly it looks like I'm still on version 1.6 I think I will go by the dealer and ask them to update if possible? I've been having a few issues with the tablet "locking up" that will probably help push them along. It's just annoying because I had to go to a different city to buy the car so I'm not sure how helpful to expect the local dealer I have no relationship with to be.

Sometimes my map will freeze for 5 minutes or so. I've also had my music from spotify fully stop. I had to pull over, park, and choose the option to power the car off to resolve it.

Thanks so much to everyone for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
357 Posts
Sadly it looks like I'm still on version 1.6 I think I will go by the dealer and ask them to update if possible? I've been having a few issues with the tablet "locking up" that will probably help push them along. It's just annoying because I had to go to a different city to buy the car so I'm not sure how helpful to expect the local dealer I have no relationship with to be.

Sometimes my map will freeze for 5 minutes or so. I've also had my music from spotify fully stop. I had to pull over, park, and choose the option to power the car off to resolve it.

Thanks so much to everyone for the warm welcome!
Congrats on the car. The more the better. Welcome to Volvo electric universe with one star for now but no worries it is just shortly after the big bang.
I still do not understand why dealerships are not updating the software. Just bothers me what is their problem for not doing it. My advise that might contradicts a little with what others might suggest - Do not restart anything. Do not restart IHU, just leave it. If something stop working keep going - like maps not working or LTE lost. Just leave it. Always lock the car if you are not using it. That helps with resetting the modules and clearing the errors. Let the car settle. You will have some freezes or lagging going on with IHU, maps will be snappy etc. Just drive. Unless you have problem that is persistent leave it for now. I had some similar things when I took the car and everything seems to be much better now 2,000km latter.
Spotify is doing similar things to me and that is mostly if I keep changing the songs. I have set best quality and that is pulling more data and sometimes I have artefacts in the sound like faint clicks but happens only if I am scrolling too much through the songs, like listen for 10 -15 seconds and next.
Enjoy

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I am surprised the pre-delivery inspection does not include installing latest software. Locking the car has made no difference to me. I actually think based on location the deep sleep of locking sometimes make it harder for the LTE to work if it is unlocked in a weak area, but that is just a theory right now. Seems almost any time my LTE does not work it is after being locked at work then when I come home.

Reactions: DudeDad

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am surprised the pre-delivery inspection does not include installing latest software. Locking the car has made no difference to me. I actually think based on location the deep sleep of locking sometimes make it harder for the LTE to work if it is unlocked in a weak area, but that is just a theory right now. Seems almost any time my LTE does not work it is after being locked at work then when I come home.
For our dealer, their inspection included updating all software if needed. I’m amazed how all over the place the dealers seem to be on just about everything. Like others have said, I think the dealer can make or break your experience.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Comes down to there are good dealers nd bad dealers. Even though dealers do not have a lot of cars to sell, it does seem their service departments are swamped.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree as everything I look up shows same part number. I had posted the battery is in the rear, but does look like it is in the front of the car.
The battery is under panel A and B. To remove them is a bit of a pain. It requires removing multiple retaining plugs and freeing up retaining clips. I have done it twice and each time struggled to get everything back in/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts