Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just activated the onboard modem in my new XC40 a couple of days ago. After some driving around in a very populated area which I know has good AT&T LTE signal strength, I was surprised to find that the modem rarely shows more than 2 bars of signal unless I'm very close to a tower. I'm now wondering if this is even an LTE modem and not just some old 4G unit, either that or the antenna must be quite poorly placed. Not that this is a major issue, but none the less surprising and doesn't bring a simile to my face that so many other aspects of this car do.

·
167 Posts
To be honest, the modem is just as slow when you have full signal strength. No, it is not LTE. Supposedly it's 4G. I agree, the infotainment speed generally is a disappointment, as is the unusable voice command and unreliable nav. Until recently, no one bought a Volvo for its interior technology. They are still learning that in the US you have to get it right if you're going to try at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the for the info. I have to say this is a disappointment. I own a security company which uses cellular modems as standard practice. We are currently in the last stage of removing all 4G units because carriers are in the process of dialing back signal strength for 4G. Each tower’s total power output is limited by the FCC, so as more LTE devices come on line they are forced to reduce output on earlier systems in order to increase power to the current tech.

I have to say the combined weaknesses of the tech in my 2020 Volvo are disheartening. Tesla has been putting LTE modems in their cars since 2015 and to be honest, owning a 2016 model S, it feels like Volvo is at least 6 years behind Tesla on all of the tech details.

I really don’t mean hard on Volvo. I owned my first Volvo in the late 80’s and it still stands out an an amazing car. I know quite a bit about Volvo history and their corporate culture, and I fully imagine they truly want to make the best cars. Volvo has alway been and continues to be a company I very much want to support and see succeed. But I have to say, when I first wrote the check for this XC40, I was imagining keeping it for the long haul; and now after fidgeting with all the tech, I’m already imagining selling it in 3 or 4 years to upgrade to Tesla.

It’s not just the lack of LTE. It’s the lack of wireless Apple CarPlay, the finicky connectivity of CarPlay, the automatic breaking‘s lack of refinement (Tesla’s is activated by a firmer press on the peddle, rather than just totally on or off), and the smartphone app feels like a rush to market with virtually no customizable features.

The entire auto industry is competing with Tesla and I don’t think many even realize it yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts