Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Final Thoughts
The Volvo C40 Recharge is a fantastic entry-level electric car. I don’t want to call it an electric economy car, because its design and performance elevate it well above that tier, but the interior materials do drag it down. The seat comfort and the feeling of the touch points simply don’t match a near-$60,000 price tag.

At $40,000, the C40 Recharge would be a steal. At $50,000, where comparable trims of the Mustang Mach-E and VW ID.4 sit, it would be a solid contender. At $58,750 before destination fees (and before the $7,500 EV tax credit) it’s a much harder sell.

I’ll admit, there are people for whom this car is perfect. There is an ideal buyer out there who will enjoy this recycled interior, who understands that the thin plastic let Volvo eke out another few miles of range. There’s a buyer who wants their friends to comment on the weird carpet, just so they can explain how many bottles came out of a landfill to make it.

Unfortunately for the C40 Recharge, that buyer is probably a rarity, even among the chic yuppies Volvo is targeting. Conveniently for those buyers, however, Volvo offers an alternative: the XC40 Recharge shares the C40's drivetrain, its interior layout, and many of its dimensions, but exchanges the hard-wearing materials for luxury leatherette and the comically undersized rear window for standard upright glass.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I know people like to pick on the Volvo range and price, but if you look at the Audi Q40 etron it tops out around $60K. The Volvo is 100HP more and 1.5+ seconds quicker 0-60. Sure the Audi will get around 240-250 mile range EPA, but if you follow each manufacturer's recommended charge limits (90% Volvo and 80% Audi) the range gap is minimal. And Audi took some of the fun out of the car by not brining on all the torque immediately, they ramp the power/torque curve to more closely mimic a ICE acceleration. Did they do that to make people comfortable, or for technical reasons since the front motor is induction.

That said if Audi offered the EU setup of Typhoon Gray and the bronze wheels I would order one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not a chic yuppie and I'm buying one.. LOL. Late 50's, retired and I've always loved the styling of the P1800 and the C30.. Unique and cool, IMHO... Sadly, when those cars were available, I was too tall for either of them (6'2" with 32" inseam, so a long torso).. When I saw the C40, i got that same feeling I did when I first saw the P1800 cars when I was younger and pre-ordered one as soon as I was able to. After the tax credit and California rebates, the price will be a little easier to swallow and i'm not worried about the range as it will not be used for long trips. I just think it's awesome looking.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
Coming from 2 Audis as previous cars, love, love Audi -- Did look at the eTron.....however, I "felt" as though the Q3 through Q7 designs are starting to get some what dated, like Tesla models. And for some reason the eTron looked and felt somewhat "bulky" to me -- welp..... guess I ended up with P8 -- although I hear that the Audi is more quiet and even smoother...... that would be my only "regret" if so, otherwise..... I'm zipping around speedy 18-wheelers with most comfort and confidence !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts