Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got so bored with this car, I had to do SOMETHING, so I wrapped the hood in black carbon fiber:
IMG_8707.jpg

Also added the Lava floor mats. They are really too orangey, but they blend.

About as many women as men notice the hood.
Richard

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am an old school guy as far as styling. I know that many like this sort of thing, and to each his own, but I personally feel this really chops up the styling and from a distance makes the car look like it has had a damaged hood that has been primered and needs to be repainted. It breaks up the lines of the car. Just me I guess.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Eh... I painted the brake calipers blue with plastidip, but that's it.
I’ve used plastidip on wheels with great success (7 thin layers; lasted 4 years with only one small patch lost, maybe due to snow/ice impact). I’d be interested to hear how it works on really hot calipers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve used plastidip on wheels with great success (7 thin layers; lasted 4 years with only one small patch lost, maybe due to snow/ice impact). I’d be interested to hear how it works on really hot calipers.
After taking the wheel off and removing the brake pads, I took plastic grocery bags and wrapped the brake rotors, behind the calipers, and anything that might get over-spray. I used blue painter's tape to tape off edges of the bags. I bought a matte dark-ish blue plastidip and aimed primarily for the faces of the caliper that I might see through the rim. I drive through Colorado and so, lots of downhill braking. I wondered if they might get hot and start to melt (or burn) - as far as I can tell, that hasn't happened. No dripping or sagging due. I'm pleased with it. Though, the plastidip is a tacky rubber and will collect brake dust and now I'm inclined to clean them more. I don't know how "Brakleen" will interact with set plastidip... being rubber, I'm sure it'll be fine. Overall pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would not use Plastidip on brake calipers. You should use a heat proof paint. Most caliper paints are a heat proof ceramic paint.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Anyone de-badge or pastidip the badges? On the R-Design the chrome look badges take away form the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts