Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Is there a way to lock the charging cap/door?

569 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Gilles
I seem to be able to open it, without having to unlock the car. I was out yesterday, and someone popped it open, and removed the cap off the lower charging plug (for Fast chargers).
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Nope
Reactions: 2
I really wish there was a way to lock it. It seems silly when many barebones ICE cars you need to unlock the car to access the gas door.
Reactions: 1
I wouldn't mind a more ICE-like latch and release, but I think the main difference is that with an ICE car, someone could siphon your gas, whereas Volvo doesn't support bidirectional charging so no one can steal your battery power just because they can get to the charge port. I agree it is annoying that someone can steal the DCFC cover though, or otherwise tamper with or damage the charging connections.
I wouldn't mind a more ICE-like latch and release, but I think the main difference is that with an ICE car, someone could siphon your gas, whereas Volvo doesn't support bidirectional charging so no one can steal your battery power just because they can get to the charge port. I agree it is annoying that someone can steal the DCFC cover though, or otherwise tamper with or damage the charging connections.
The C40 doesn't support bidirectional charging. But the EX90 implements CCS 3.0 which does. :) That said, I imagine that it's not just a question of pluging the cord... you also have to enable it somewhere... so you couldn't siphon energy like that even if the EX90's charging port door didn't lock (I imagine it will).
1 - 5 of 5 Posts