Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to disable the foot movement automatic tailgate opening. I want it disabled when I have my bike rake on the trailer hitch. Couldn’t find anything in the manual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's what I found in the manual (page 244), so if the key in front of the car with you, it shouldn't open.
Just put key in front and try open the tailgate with the foot.

1.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that’s good to know. It is annoying that the trunk was opening when using a wrench to mount the bike rack on the hitch. But I guess I can just take the key out of my pocket when doing this.

Daws

·
Registered
2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
48 Posts
Mine never works. I’ll be moving my foot side to side and I get fed up that I start going faster that I look crazy to people.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mine never works. I’ll be moving my foot side to side and I get fed up that I start going faster that I look crazy to people.
It works great - do not kick side to side - under the V for volvo just kick straight under the car and it opens every time.
Give it a try - hope it works for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It works great - do not kick side to side - under the V for volvo just kick straight under the car and it opens every time.
Give it a try - hope it works for you.
One kick, in and out, just to left the license plate will do it but the most important thing is to then step back. It won't open if you're too close because it doesn't want to hit you.

·
Registered
953 Posts
One kick, in and out, just to left the license plate will do it but the most important thing is to then step back. It won't open if you're too close because it doesn't want to hit you.
Ours seems totally happy to hit you in the face. Or to try and cut off ones head.

Sometimes it fails with a double bleep. Is that because it sees something?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mine is 50-50. Go figure ! Its great when it works.....otherwise, crazy stares from others at the Parking Lot before embarrassment kicks in.....

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
228 Posts
Huh, I have about 100% reliability with the kick. I just aim under the sensor "button" on the bumper left of center. Simple swing in and out, no waving, etc. It's the first of four cars I've owned/co-owned with the feature that actually worked well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Huh, I have about 100% reliability with the kick. I just aim under the sensor "button" on the bumper left of center. Simple swing in and out, no waving, etc. It's the first of four cars I've owned/co-owned with the feature that actually worked well.
Since my car was the Dealership recently, we all tried it several ways.....even with the kick in/out right under the sensor on the left side of bumper, we all took several trials before it finally work. So for some reason, mine is not as sensitive as I guess !
BUT, perhaps the trick I'm reading here is to step back ? I'll try that too - maybe that's the issue

·
Registered
228 Posts
OK, I had to go out and conduct a "scientific test".

So, first, taking my life into my hands, I stood with my knees about 4"/10cm away from the bumper, and kicked, but did not step away. Nothing. I opened it and repeated with it open -- again, nothing. Then I stood back a few more inches and repeated, again not stepping back, nothing.

A third time, close (eg 6"), kick and step back - works great. Repeated it a couple times, worked every time.

Finally I did what I usually do, I already stand about 12" back, lean forward slightly and kick, then just lean back a bit, maybe 2-3 inches max -- that always works as well.

I guess I just always subconsciously got out of the way and that made my 100% achievable. Perhaps also if more than one person is standing close by to observe, it may refuse to activate.

I'm not sure what kind of sensor it is or what it looks like, could the sensor be blocked enough (with dirt?) to cause issues?

At any rate, for the first time in four vehicles with the feature, I'm habitually using it. I don't remember if I ever even used the button under the edge of the hatch!

·
Registered
520 Posts
OK, I had to go out and conduct a "scientific test".

So, first, taking my life into my hands, I stood with my knees about 4"/10cm away from the bumper, and kicked, but did not step away. Nothing. I opened it and repeated with it open -- again, nothing. Then I stood back a few more inches and repeated, again not stepping back, nothing.

A third time, close (eg 6"), kick and step back - works great. Repeated it a couple times, worked every time.

Finally I did what I usually do, I already stand about 12" back, lean forward slightly and kick, then just lean back a bit, maybe 2-3 inches max -- that always works as well.

I guess I just always subconsciously got out of the way and that made my 100% achievable. Perhaps also if more than one person is standing close by to observe, it may refuse to activate.

I'm not sure what kind of sensor it is or what it looks like, could the sensor be blocked enough (with dirt?) to cause issues?

At any rate, for the first time in four vehicles with the feature, I'm habitually using it. I don't remember if I ever even used the button under the edge of the hatch!
OOOhhh.....great test.....it IS the leaning/stepping back AFTER the kick...and not to stand too close to begin with...... I shall test it after work ! Thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Mutters which there was space in my parking to lean that far back. Still explains the hit or miss behavior of my kicky foot opening experiences :)

Anyone noticed that sometimes you can open the tail without unlocking the car but other times it refuses I tilt he car is unlocked ? This is with the key present.

·
Registered
228 Posts

I was curious what was under there. I don't know if this is a sensor or a speaker grille or what, but it's the only thing I see that could be related to the kick sensor. Unless that disc neat the bottom of the photo is like the sensors on the bumpers.

The top of the photo is forward, btw.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My kicking failed again. Hhmmmm ..it used to worked (1st week) and haven’t since then ….but since kicking is not widely used (not enough space in the garage to lean back etc) the habit is to physically unlatch it …but it was good when it’d worked especially when hands are full from grocery bags …
I shall try again (was trying from an elevated pavement earlier as my car was backed to the wall)….must try again - oh what fun !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts